Finally Finished my EGE!
This was my birthday present from a couple of months ago, and I finally have it completely finished. It took so long because, as they say, "life" interfered. Oh well -- it's done now.
I'm kind of proud of the paint scheme/job. The basic idea came to me while I was flying the EGE on the FMS simulator. Originally, I was just thinking of doing a florescent green scheme along the lines of Numbthumb's infamous fluro orange layout (since I thought his looked so cool). Then, when I was flying the EGE on the FMS, I couldn't help but get the strong impression that it was much like a dragonfly! This was in contrast to my impression of the Easy Star (when flying power off) as being very much like a Great Blue Heron in gliding flight. I live in between where many Gray Herons (the Asian equivalent of the Great Blue Heron) roost and where they feed, so they are often gliding overhead around here. The Easy Star at rest doesn't look much like a heron of course, but when it's gliding overhead, it looks amazingly like a gliding heron. I've even had herons come over and join up with it! Anyway, the Easy Glider Electric, with its lower pitched sound (when power on -- in contrast to the Easy Star's high-pitched whine) and longer wings and everything, just strongly struck me as being very dragonfly-like. I drew some stuff up on paper, but then I also started to get some ideas about having like British Green racing stripes. Eventually, all the ideas merged, and I came up with my final little design. The wing stripe is only on the right wing, to add an asymmetrical aspect for orientation purposes.
Once I was done painting, it had came out pretty much exactly just how I had drawn it up on my scratch paper, so I am pretty excited! As with others who have painted their planes, especially those who did the sanding and priming and all that crap too, I found the painting to be by far the longest and most frustrating part of the build. The other big project was setting up the servo/controls and my transmitter (my first computer radio). Anyway, I think the whole thing came out pretty cool, though!
Now I just have to wait for the right day to maiden it.
Last edited by dmt; Jul 19, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
Welp, I finally maidened it.
I started this project back in mid-March, so it was a long time coming. It was almost a short time gone -- I almost smashed it in hard on my first flight. This is my first aileron ship, and really only my second RC aircraft overall. Also, it was my first flight with a computer radio. Just a lot of stuff I wasn't really familiar with. The first thing that bit me was aileron versus rudder -- on my first toss with enough power to fly, the ship started going left which I tried to compensate for with only aileron. Fortunately, that was pretty low to the ground. After dialing in some rudder trim I went for it again and got it up there pretty good, but I just wasn't used to controlling the plane yet. It was quite a bit different than the Easy Star which I had just been flying earlier today. I ended up in a turn that ended up in a power-on dive out over a wooded area -- I mean really just coming down screaming. I had let it over-bank in a turn and lost control. Well, I killed the power and pulled out (and then pushed back over, narrowly avoiding a low altitude stall just over the trees on my recovery), got medium power back in, got her straightened out and turned towards me, killed the power and let it just come in on a glide out over a field. Whew!
I couldn't believe I had almost just smashed my plane to bits three minutes after I first tossed it into the air. Anyway, after walking out onto the field and getting the plane back I had calmed down and decided to, what the heck, give it another toss. The second flight went much smoother! After that, I decided to quit while I was ahead and call it a day.
So, I'm already getting a handle on controlling my new plane and hope to fly again tomorrow, hopefully without any more scary moments. Once I get this thing down a little better, I think this is going to be a real fun aircraft.
Anyway, so the maiden is over and I'm in business!
I was probably about 2/3rds throttle (stock engine, 8 cell NiMh) on that first launch, but that was too much for my low level of experience, I guess.
I had in a 12% rudder-to-aileron mix. I just upped that to 15% (I'd initially upped it to 20%, but since I'm already getting used to that initial 12% mix, I figured I better back it off a bit and make any changes very incrementally). I'll see how that works in the air.
I have the spoilers set up, but haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet (I'm very curious about them though!)
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Finally finished my RV-4!!!||Cass||Parkflyers||12||Feb 07, 2004 07:20 AM|
|Finally finished my Dandy-...uhh...Poly/Ail/Sport...maybe...||mefly2||Parkflyers||11||Apr 21, 2003 02:05 PM|
|Rave||Finally finished my Bluto!!||tenover||Slope||35||Nov 21, 2002 08:47 PM|