Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 18, 2007, 11:55 AM
On the US1M front, has anybody tried the MK-3 US1M kit from GRP Model Yachts?

My local club sails ODOMs (I have acquired one) and on alternating Sundays, US1Ms. I'd like to be able to race in both. Hence the question about the MK-3 US1M kit.

Anybody have one?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHemi
In US1M, in most cases, the sail number is the last two digits of the hull number (for legibility), althought there is no hard and fast rule for that like in IOM. I happen to know that the one you were sailing, doomracing, is less than 5 years old.

As far as home-built is concerned, keep in mind that the 1998 and 2001 National Champions were home-built, glass-over-balsa boats.

--Doug
i have no probs with, or ever did for that matter with home made hulls/boats. i thought the 29 was the full number. i was wrong. i forget the full number, but is a 4 digit number. i feel considering it would cost $1700 plus to duplicate it i got a great deal no regrets at all. i look forward to smoking everyone next monday at the pond. lol i'm gunna put rear view mirrors on my boat to watch everyone get realy small. man am i gunna pay for that statement. lol
Jul 18, 2007, 09:05 PM
hell after watching Johns boat come from dead last after getting hooked on the rocks to 3rd i'll take any of his hulls/builds.
Jul 18, 2007, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage
doomracing,

LOL, I was going to buy that boat. Watched it up to the end. That thing is HUGE! Look forward to seeing what you do with her. Good luck!

Rick

sorry. diden't know there were others looking at it, but i would have bought her if John had said there was someone else looking at it. probably without sailing her. i wanted a race boat that bad. John never asked for the radio back, so i kept sailing. about 4 races in i knew i was taking her. picked her up today. on her stand she barely fits under the garage door.

got my radio today as well. wanted the dx6, but they were out till next week sometime. the new guy wanted me to get the futaba 2.4 ghz, but extra rx's were $84 vs $50 for the spectrum. i ended up with a dx7. with 20 mode memory, and $50 rx's it would last me a long way, but still would have preferred a dx6 i believe.
Jul 18, 2007, 09:26 PM
Rick the guy running the white hull with red stripes (the guy arguing with John) said he had a boat for sale also. your the guy i was talking to tonight watching the scale guys? if not ask the guys at the pond who has any boats fer sale.
Jul 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
Is ok. I am from PA and will be coming thru there in August on my way to Manitoulin Island Thuth be told, my wife is happier that you bought the boat

Hope you post some pics of her when you are done. Looked like an interesting sailboat.
Jul 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
pics?! lol people here mite get bored with her. i like pics

i promis to take good care of her. my boat..... not your wife. that's your job
Jul 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage
Is ok. I am from PA and will be coming thru there in August on my way to Manitoulin Island Thuth be told, my wife is happier that you bought the boat

Hope you post some pics of her when you are done. Looked like an interesting sailboat.
your coming up for the sant barbara race we are sponcering in niagra falls 24-26 aug right. i'll be there to watch.
Jul 21, 2007, 06:48 PM
No, I am headed to Manitoulin Island from the 14th to the 20th. We go up there every year and do some kayaking and just enjoy the quiet. Plus we go to a pretty big star party that runs for 10 days.

I will be taking my footy though to do some sailing
Jul 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Woo star party. I wish you clear sky's.

My observatory, scope is a DS16.

Don M.
Jul 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
I go and just go from camp site to camp site. there is usually 30 to 50 scopes. A lot of fun and very educational. nice time.
Oct 01, 2008, 01:50 PM

Venom US1M

5353billboat,

I'm looking for a US1M Venom sailboat. You mention you have Kevlar hull US1Ms...are any a Venom and are you interested in selling one?
Dec 01, 2008, 02:26 PM
Balls O' Wood
Does anyone have a listing of US1M hulls that can be purchased? Links?
So far all I can find is the MK3 @ $599 w/ keel, etc.. Do all the molded hulls run in in this price range?

I am new to RC sailing (but have many years experience in RC planes and full-size sailboats).

It seems to me that the cheapest way for me to try US1M would be to buy a Thunder Tiger ETNZ (39") and fit it with a US1M rig. That way if I find I like it, I can buy a competitive hull in the future and put the rig on it -and still have the ETNZ rig to use on the ETNZ for a knock-around boat.

Comments? Anyone?
Dec 01, 2008, 07:53 PM
well all i can tell you is if you sail a store bought (ie ETNZ) against a true USOM your in for a beating. i can possibly get you a USOM hull reasonably priced. i'd have to contact my friend to get pricing, and then shipping costs. i could possibly even get one RTS. that is in the $600 range i believe. i think that's with sails. he sails what he makes, and is one of the top 5 sailors in our 20 boat fleet. he has been making very light hulls. to me scary light . it could be made of lexan, fiberglass, kevlar, or carbon fiber. it could also be in varying states of completion as well.

i have a second USOM complete less tx, and battery. my brother wants it but has been dragging his feet on payment. i'd like to keep it, but would like the cash it's worth as well. i have 2 blank hulls to build up as well.

if anyone is interested let me know, and i'll start inquiring. as i understand venom hulls are not being produced anymore. i'll bet someone will start splashing them soon.
Dec 02, 2008, 11:16 AM
Balls O' Wood
I figured. I just wonder how the ETNZ hull would work with the US1M rig? It's narrow beam -so I gather it would be good in light conditions -except that it is probably considerably heavier than the run-of-the-mill US1M hull.

Anyway, if I did that, I would have roughly $200 in a hull. Don't see much I can get for less than that.

Quick Reply