Jul 17, 2007, 12:19 AM
Discussion

Us1m

does the NORTH WIND 36 fall into the US1M class? my brother wants to get into racing but is short on funds. he doesn't mind being slower, but just wants to race with the club. if that boat doesn't fit the class witch store bought kit would that won't bust the bank?

thanks Jerry
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2007, 07:03 AM
Norman2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing
does the NORTH WIND 36 fall into the US1M class? my brother wants to get into racing but is short on funds. he doesn't mind being slower, but just wants to race with the club. if that boat doesn't fit the class witch store bought kit would that won't bust the bank?

thanks Jerry
Jerry, I would seriously look at the Thunder Tiger Voyager for your brother.
It is 1 meter. cheap and easy to build, modify and sail. Northwind 36 is not
a good boat. Plastic booms and cheap hardware. Good luck
Jul 17, 2007, 08:28 AM

Soling 1M

The best one meter boat for a person on a budget is the Victor Soling 1M. It's an easy build, a friend of mine built his in two days, lots written about it and the biggest class in AMYA.

For more speed and twice the cost is the ODOM, for even more speed and four times the cost is Bob Sterne's Venom US1M.
Jul 17, 2007, 09:01 AM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
Quote:

thanks Jerry
No it doesn't.
Here's the AMYA Class List...Scroll down and take a look.
http://www.modelyacht.org/classpage.html
The Northwind is shown as a proposed class.

The ODOM is probably the least expensive boat to get you into the US1M class.
You might be able to build a US1M on the cheap, not sure as I've never added up all the parts you need to buy.
Still it's more expensive than a retail boat.

Maybe another way to go is to find out what starter retail boat the local clubs are sailing, and buy that boat.
In my local club that's fairwinds and victorias.
They are fun boats to sail and for some all the boat they want.

Sometimes you can buy a used boat from one of the club members, which can be a good way to go too.
I bought my boat used and I'm very happy w/ it.

Warning!!!
Tell your bro that R/C sailing is super addicting and there's no cure, so he should be careful.
Jul 17, 2007, 08:04 PM

Us1 Mtr.

Quote:

thanks Jerry
If you go to the AMYA website and click links for the Detroit model boat club there are 2 US 1 boats for sale. Also look under the classifieds of the AMYA site. www.modelyacht.org DONT get a Northwind if you want to race you wont be competative at all. I have 4 US1s all with Kevlar hulls and total weight 5.5lbs ready to sail--this is a really competative class. Another idea is to start with a Victoria or a Soling 1mtr. Both great boats-large classes lots of races and plenty of build tips on the intenet--Cheers Bill-sail captain-Metro Marine Modellers.
Jul 17, 2007, 11:23 PM
V32 Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5353billboat
If you go to the AMYA website and click links for the Detroit model boat club there are 2 US 1 boats for sale. Also look under the classifieds of the AMYA site. www.modelyacht.org DONT get a Northwind if you want to race you wont be competative at all. I have 4 US1s all with Kevlar hulls and total weight 5.5lbs ready to sail--this is a really competative class. Another idea is to start with a Victoria or a Soling 1mtr. Both great boats-large classes lots of races and plenty of build tips on the intenet--Cheers Bill-sail captain-Metro Marine Modellers.
5353billboat has an extream view of the US1M and is incorrect on some parts of it. you can build your hull out of anything and be competative. The US1M generally runs around 6lbs. The high end compitition Hulls use Carbon Fiber / Carbon Fiber Balasa Laminates. Kevlar is not a commonly used material for these boats. There have been some new Carbon / Kevlar weaves that are sparking some intrest but in general people use Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass. If you are going to build your own boat i would play around in glass before you go to Carbon because of the expence involved.

As for the weight of the Boat. This is still a matter of debate. I would sail a US1M from a local club before you dive into the class. The US1M is the formula 1 of the race boats. It is Fast and light. If you go too light with the US1M you will have too much difficulty tacking as they are hard enough on their own. As a general Rule the lighter the boats the more competative, but this is still up to alot of debate and opinion on the US1M forums.
Jul 17, 2007, 11:23 PM
Taking care of the pond.
I think the NORTH WIND 36 can race in the 36-600 class.
Jul 18, 2007, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresbill
No it doesn't.
Here's the AMYA Class List...Scroll down and take a look.
http://www.modelyacht.org/classpage.html
The Northwind is shown as a proposed class.

The ODOM is probably the least expensive boat to get you into the US1M class.
You might be able to build a US1M on the cheap, not sure as I've never added up all the parts you need to buy.
Still it's more expensive than a retail boat.

Maybe another way to go is to find out what starter retail boat the local clubs are sailing, and buy that boat.
In my local club that's fairwinds and victorias.
They are fun boats to sail and for some all the boat they want.

Sometimes you can buy a used boat from one of the club members, which can be a good way to go too.
I bought my boat used and I'm very happy w/ it.

Warning!!!
Tell your bro that R/C sailing is super addicting and there's no cure, so he should be careful.

LOL nothing i haven't already found out. i have only been into sailboats for just over a week now, and am buying a race boat, and would love more. i already have a paradise, and i will be getting another boat tomorrow. it's a very old boat.

got her cheep, and maybe wasted my money, but won't be the first time i wasted cash, and probably not the last time either. all i can say about it is that it's huge. pull out 2 tape measures, and mark out the deck dimensions. the mast alone is 6' ! i think it maybe missing the jib sail though. it comes with rigging plans. she is being refitted at the moment. a new deck has been started, but not finished. i gotta get ahold of some club guys to see how to proceed with getting her back in the water.

i'll post pics of my racer when i have here safe in my hands.
Jul 18, 2007, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopryde
The best one meter boat for a person on a budget is the Victor Soling 1M. It's an easy build, a friend of mine built his in two days, lots written about it and the biggest class in AMYA.

For more speed and twice the cost is the ODOM, for even more speed and four times the cost is Bob Sterne's Venom US1M.

but is the soling legal in the US1M class, and can it be made into a decent club racer? that's the big thing. it's gotta be able to become a club racer in the US1M class. that's the clubs meat and potatoes class.

there's a guy in the club that can mod some plastic boat into a club racer. gotta call him tomorrow.
Jul 18, 2007, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryodacry
5353billboat has an extream view of the US1M and is incorrect on some parts of it. you can build your hull out of anything and be competative. The US1M generally runs around 6lbs. The high end compitition Hulls use Carbon Fiber / Carbon Fiber Balasa Laminates. Kevlar is not a commonly used material for these boats. There have been some new Carbon / Kevlar weaves that are sparking some intrest but in general people use Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass. If you are going to build your own boat i would play around in glass before you go to Carbon because of the expence involved.

As for the weight of the Boat. This is still a matter of debate. I would sail a US1M from a local club before you dive into the class. The US1M is the formula 1 of the race boats. It is Fast and light. If you go too light with the US1M you will have too much difficulty tacking as they are hard enough on their own. As a general Rule the lighter the boats the more competative, but this is still up to alot of debate and opinion on the US1M forums.

i did sail a club members US1M and i'm buying it. i'm going to see if i can work out a price when i get up later, but i am getting it.

heres another question i just thought of. does the sail number go with the hull or the sail? meaning if i at some time decide to get a updated hull, and use all the hardware from the old boat does the sail number move to the new hull, or do i need a new reg number? the boat i'm buying has a number of i think it was 23 or such, but under 50. it would say this could be a rather old hull, but being made of carbon fiber (i may have said it was kevlar sometime earler, but it is carbon. at least it a black woven hull looking like carbon fiber.) i think it's a newer hull. so does the number show it's age?
Jul 18, 2007, 01:17 AM
V32 Racer
Quote:
i did sail a club members US1M and i'm buying it. i'm going to see if i can work out a price when i get up later, but i am getting it.

heres another question i just thought of. does the sail number go with the hull or the sail? meaning if i at some time decide to get a updated hull, and use all the hardware from the old boat does the sail number move to the new hull, or do i need a new reg number? the boat i'm buying has a number of i think it was 23 or such, but under 50. it would say this could be a rather old hull, but being made of carbon fiber (i may have said it was kevlar sometime earler, but it is carbon. at least it a black woven hull looking like carbon fiber.) i think it's a newer hull. so does the number show it's age?

Yes they do, The sail number is the hull number / portion of the hull number.
Jul 18, 2007, 01:32 AM
hmmmmm a carbon fiber hull with a number under 50. it's gotta be very old then? is there black fiberglass cloth? well i still like the boat, and even in the hands of a unskilled skipper it would seem to be competitive. i guess time will tell.
Jul 18, 2007, 08:52 AM
I Can Fly Inverted :)
Quote:
LOL nothing i haven't already found out. i have only been into sailboats for just over a week now, and am buying a race boat, and would love more. i already have a paradise, and i will be getting another boat tomorrow. it's a very old boat.

got her cheep, and maybe wasted my money, but won't be the first time i wasted cash, and probably not the last time either. all i can say about it is that it's huge. pull out 2 tape measures, and mark out the deck dimensions. the mast alone is 6' ! i think it maybe missing the jib sail though. it comes with rigging plans. she is being refitted at the moment. a new deck has been started, but not finished. i gotta get ahold of some club guys to see how to proceed with getting her back in the water.

i'll post pics of my racer when i have here safe in my hands.
Congrats on your boat purchase...Cheap is Good!!!

Let's see...You bought a 1 meter boat...Hum, wasted money???...Does not compute, Does not compute, Does not compute!

I bought my boat used, I fixed it up and have been enjoying it since.
I hope you enjoy yours too!
Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 AM
doomracing,

LOL, I was going to buy that boat. Watched it up to the end. That thing is HUGE! Look forward to seeing what you do with her. Good luck!

Rick
Jul 18, 2007, 10:34 AM
Footy USA 30
In US1M, in most cases, the sail number is the last two digits of the hull number (for legibility), althought there is no hard and fast rule for that like in IOM. I happen to know that the one you were sailing, doomracing, is less than 5 years old.

As far as home-built is concerned, keep in mind that the 1998 and 2001 National Champions were home-built, glass-over-balsa boats.

--Doug

Quick Reply