Jul 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Idea

ModulO - the modular trainer

Hey guys now look at this "new" concept-study for a trainer. I call it "ModulO" ...well because it is based on a modular components approach.

It all began with the little trainer in picture #1 that I've built for my girl friend. It crashed and only the wing survived relatively unharmed. I decided to recycle it some day.
While reading the "funder & lightning" thread lately, many ideas for a cool trainer popped into my mind and i came up with this (see pics):

The modules:

1) a framework consisting of the tail-group (depron), booms (balsa sticks) and strutts/spars (CF/bamboo). this construction takes up all the forces of the wing, fuselage and tailfeathers. It also carries the servos.

2) fuselage made of 6mm depron. this was just a rectangular sheet folded twice to form a ship-like gondola.

3) the wing. in this case just a simple undercambered wing with dihedral wing tips that I have recycled. no stiffening needed since frame takes up most of the bending moments

All three parts are held together with rubber bands. Very simple.

With this concept I was aiming for:
- easy build
- easy repair/replacement of parts
- beginner friendly flight characteristics
- beginner friendly control setup (no mixers on TX required)
- maximal robustness for lightest weight possible (< 200g). (rubber bands increase crash resistance too).
- easy adjustment of CG (just move the gondola fore and aft)
- switchable to pusher or puller setup (just flip around the gondola)
- interchangeable wings (want flat? undercambered? KF foil? i might build them all and fly a different one every day )
- fuselage to neatly put all the equipment in and reduce drag
(enough space left for a small camera for AP)
- dismantle for easier transport

...more...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2007, 06:52 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Today I slapped one together out of scrap pieces in less than an hour. It is not beautiful but it does a great job as a trainer.

Control is motor/elevator/rudder. To make things simpler only ONE rudder is actuated. the other one is fix. it works! enough control power for a barrel roll .
Loops too as well. Wings are flexing a bit but don't break.

my GF flew it today and she liked it ..mission complete.

cu!
chara
Jul 14, 2007, 08:39 PM
Out the Window
I like it! Looks like a good idea and probably looks great in the air. What is the purpose of the rubber band between the two boom and at the rear of the wing? Is the wing from a plan here on RC Groups? Are the servos glued on? What are you using for a power plant?

Hope you are going to do some quick plans for us noobs!

Ray
Jul 15, 2007, 01:25 AM
skumgummi dave
Chara:
Whoo Hoo!! another great concept plane. Very versitil......

Dave-
Jul 15, 2007, 02:35 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Chara, you are a creative guy. What is the span and the desired power plant?

Tony
Jul 15, 2007, 02:23 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
Thanks buddies, I'm glad you like it!

Ray, you probably mean the 3rd stick in the rear since there is no rubber band BETWEEN the booms. the photos are not very sharp ...sorry for that. there are just 3 sticks (wood or CF or whatever you have available) glued between the booms. rubber bands hold the wing and the fuselage attached to the framework. I'll be happy to shoot a few more detail pics if you want. plans as well (no big deal cause it's a very simple design). The servos are wrapped into tape and hot glued to the frame.

Had no plans for the wing. I just cut out some rectangular pieces which I undercambered (with hot air gun), rounded off wing tips and hot glued together.

Tony, span is around 75-80 cm I think. Powerplant is a CDR motor (my favorites). Brings a total of 205g in the air with 650mAh battery and a 6" folding prop.

greetings
chara
Jul 15, 2007, 02:33 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
here is a little video of the first flight. well it was the second flight to be precise.
was a bit nose heavy on first flight and I had to move the gondola a bit aft.

I flew it in tractor configuration since I had a folding prop on. A noob may be better off in pusher config. that is safer for the motor/prop I believe.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99#post7806432
Last edited by chara; Jul 15, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
Jul 30, 2007, 05:11 PM
registered foam addict
Thread OP
here we go with a set of plans that I've made for a buddy. I've prettied them up a bit so they're ready to be shared with the community

easy enough build for anyone who can cut rectangles and use the hot glue gun without hurting himself (second one does not apply to me ).

all in all, not a pretty one but functional and lots of fun to build an fly :-)

Quick Reply