Jul 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Thread OP
Discussion

PSS English-Electric Lightning P1b/F1

Latest addition to my fleet – cool looking PSS English Electric Lightning P1b/F1 – unmistakable shape on this historic 1950s-1960s supersonic fighter. I bought it from a chap at work who was selling off his late fathers collection of planes. Well built, never been flown, no signs of previous radio gear installation.

Maiden flight a couple of days ago – see vids – way off trim on the first one – very funny. I didn’t know what to expect, but it actually flew quite well on the second try. Looks quite realistic in some of the shots – its definitely a Lightning carving through the Devon skies. (video unedited)

Anyone know any info about this model? – it was probably built from a kit, 1980s/1990s – foam veneer wings, built-up-balsa fuselage & plastic mouldings for jet nozzles, nose & belly tank. Wingspan 40 inches, Length 45 inches. Flying weight 49 ounces.

Lightning PSS maiden (1) (0 min 5 sec)

Lightning PSS maiden (2) (3 min 10 sec)

Phil
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2007, 07:09 AM
Fon meoies!
I can still remember the first time I saw a P1 later re-christened "Lightning".
It came across North London one day c. 1957?1958? at mach 0.8, 0,9???? at aprox. 15,000 ft. Bright sunlight caught on its polished aluminium (not yet in service, so no nasty matt paint). It was a beautiful site, just cruising, but whoever was flying must have noted the crown of schoolkids upturned faces as we all came out of school at the same time. He suddenly started to axial roll the P.1. at a speed I can still recall today. Must have exceed 360º a second and he did four or five, consecutive rolls, before resuming straight flight. We were very impressed. I expect the KGB fellers at the Sov. embassy were too, as they got hard at work and soon copied the P.1 and called it ?????. There were still umpteen of them all over China in the mid-nineties.

Can't you get Shane B., or some other total genius/nutter to throw your P.1. around a bit? I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see your splendid beast "wrung out" , as it were.

If you do find out who did the kit and who still does it, I would cerainly be interested, as, after the Hunter, I still think the P.1. was my all-time favorite and I would certainly love to wring one out on the slope, although I would not do it justice, by any means!

Cheers,

Christopher
Jul 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
AFAIK the Flair kit had a FG fuz, so it probably rules that one out.

Very distinctive shape, looks like it flies well, maybe needed a bit of ballast?
Jul 15, 2007, 11:34 AM
Forgot to ask. Does your P1 fly with separate ailerons/elevator or do you fly it with just "delta" configuration and no separate elevator?

I also thought it looked like a bit of balast would do no harm in the wind you were flying in. Maybe just a click of down trim......

Cheers and happy landings.

Christopher
Jul 15, 2007, 12:12 PM
Insert custom witicism
Fantastic look, good to see something different out there.
Jul 15, 2007, 12:50 PM
I saw a U.K. model magazine... Gawd 20 yrs ago. It was all about PSS. Thats was got me hooked.

I Like it!!
Jul 15, 2007, 01:25 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doddlepots
Forgot to ask. Does your P1 fly with separate ailerons/elevator or do you fly it with just "delta" configuration and no separate elevator?
Thanks for the responses. Elevator control is an all-moving tail, for roll control I fitted two micros insted of one standard servo, so i can play with flaperons/elevons etc. (not tried yet) When I tried a roll it was far from axial, looks like it may need "reverse differential" to keep it straight. Interesting coments re. ballast - yes it needs to fly a bit faster - I was trying to gain as much height as possible for fast "airshow" passes - unfortunately my son didn't quite catch them. Turns are "interesting" - pull too hard & it goes mushy - check out the turn before landing. I'm looking forward to really getting it moving off a proper slope - the 400 foot cliffs at Sidmouth & Branscombe - needs a nice south wind (and no rain!) and also my son there for video.
Phil
Jul 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Thread OP
Quote:
Fon meoies!
I can still remember the first time I saw a P1 later re-christened "Lightning".
Cheers,
Christopher
Christopher - found this site which may interest you - loads of info on the Lightning.
www.lightning.org.uk
I would have loved to see (and hear!) one fly - never had the opportunity. I did have an Airfix plastic model of one when I was about 8 years old
Phil
Jul 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor
Christopher - found this site which may interest you - loads of info on the Lightning.
www.lightning.org.uk
I would have loved to see (and hear!) one fly - never had the opportunity. I did have an Airfix plastic model of one when I was about 8 years old
Phil
Thanks for the link. Splendid. Takes me back a bit.

If you want to HEAR a P1 Lightning fly, that is easy. Just get within twenty or so miles of one with the taps open. No problem! You'll hear it, all right, you'll hear it!

If you have been near a Tornado (just try to get a "peaceful" round of Golf at St. Andrews and you will get the idea), that will give you half the idea of what the P1 sounded like!!!

Slightly O:T:, but did anyone ever start a thread to establish what was the noisiest aircraft ever to : a) Fly, b) go into service?

I'll start the ball rolling with the Handley Page Victor

Happy landings,

Christopher
Jul 18, 2007, 11:02 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
If you want to HEAR a P1 Lightning fly, that is easy. Just get within twenty or so miles of one with the taps open. No problem! You'll hear it, all right, you'll hear it!

If you have been near a Tornado (just try to get a "peaceful" round of Golf at St. Andrews and you will get the idea), that will give you half the idea of what the P1 sounded like!!!

Slightly O:T:, but did anyone ever start a thread to establish what was the noisiest aircraft ever to : a) Fly, b) go into service?

I'll start the ball rolling with the Handley Page Victor

Happy landings,

Christopher
Yes, the Lightening was a great plane, awesome noise. My Dad used to work on them when he was an aeronautical engineer - apparently they were a nightmare to work on cos of the one on top of the other engine arangement. Also they used to leak like a sieve - great pools of kerosene everywhere they parked up!

Matt

PS - Yes, I think the V-bombers would definitely be my nomination for noisiest aircraft. I still remember when they used to display the Vulcan, full power 50 degree climbouts shook the organs in your chest almost to the point of pain, amazing stuff.
Jul 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
One of my mates built one about 18 years back now . Looked fantastic flew like crap lol mind you back then we where really walking the fine edge trying to get things to fly . I remember the first launchas i was the one chucking as hard as I could to get the airspeed up it went out about 20 feet and hovered and slowly sunk into a vertical landing . Never did seem to get it right . Was funny though.
SteveW
P.S. looks like you got yours right though well done
Last edited by steve wenban; Jul 18, 2007 at 03:02 PM.
Jul 18, 2007, 03:08 PM

Please Mr. Moderator:

Please Mr. Moderator, can you tell us, with due respect, where we should start a "noisiest jet recollection" thread???

Somehow I don't think it belongs in slope!

Cheers,

Christopher
Jul 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
One of my mates built one about 18 years back now.
Hi Steve - that's a long time ago - but can you remember - was it from a kit, plan or what?
(and yes, compared to my other planes - on my local slope it filies crap - looks great though!)
Phil
Sep 05, 2007, 04:22 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Thread OP
Quote:
If you do find out who did the kit and who still does it, I would cerainly be interested, as, after the Hunter, I still think the P.1. was my all-time favorite and I would certainly love to wring one out on the slope, although I would not do it justice, by any means!

Cheers,

Christopher
Hi Chris - theres one up on ebay uk at the moment if you are interested - item no 280148886125 - so now I know - it was a "Flair" kit.
Phil
Sep 07, 2007, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil.Taylor
Hi Chris - theres one up on ebay uk at the moment if you are interested - item no 280148886125 - so now I know - it was a "Flair" kit.
Phil
Thanks, Phil!

I am looking into the packing/transport aspect. (looks like it might be an "oversize" box) If this is ok or it is within reasonable distance of South Wales, where I have a (semi) obliging brother, I will definitely put in a bid he can't refuse!

Cheers, and thanks again.

Christopher

Quick Reply