Jul 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Thread OP
Discussion

Esky King V2: Any brushed motor alternatives ?

I couldn't resist the sale at Helidirect and have a King V2 on the way. I'd rather not install a brushless setup in a Micro, so I'm looking ahead at replacement brushed motors. Helidirect does not list a replacement motor for the King V2, but they show a motor for the King. However, posted reviews for this motor are not good.

I have several 370 brushed motors for my Blade CP. Does anyone know if they will work in the King V2 ? Which pinion comes on the stock motor for the King V2 ?

I'm a very casual flyer with no aerobatics/3D. If I really enjoy the heli, and the gyro holds well, perhaps I'll invest in the brushless motor and a better battery. But then it won't be inexpensive.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
I believe the stock motor comes with a 9t pinion. You can go to a brushless setup pretty cheap w/o having to get a new battery. I think the cheapest you can do this for is this:

http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=294

And it comes with all the connectors and stuff too i think.
Jul 11, 2007, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
Hi chrise2,

That's good news. I have a new 370 w/9t. The brushless setup in the link is reasonable.

Thanks !
Jul 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
The stock motor is a 370 as well so if you can mount them, it should be fine. When you get your King2, check the belt tension. Mine was super tight when I got it and I just used it not knowing better. I think that's what burned my motor out after 5 minutes. It litteraly spinned down in like 1 or 2 seconds. People also say you should let the motor cool after 3 minutes of flight. I got the esky 3100 Kv brushless motor and 25A dynam ESC and the motor doesn't get hot at all (just a little warm) after flying a full pack.
Jul 11, 2007, 02:41 PM

cooling paste

if you like to try the included motor put some cooling paste between the motor and the cooloing fin.
This will help the motor to stay a bit coolder and you should be able to find it at your local electronics or computer store.
Jul 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
TBH for what it's worth I'd just go for brushless. I try to spend as little on my helis as possible however this was seriously the most worthwhile upgrade for the stock HB king, it considerably cuts the risk of the motor giving up in flight (and costing money in repairs), it lowers the strain on the battery and it flys better.
I stuck with the stock motor for about 20flights but am glad I moved on.
Jul 11, 2007, 04:06 PM
expert heli pilot wanabee
I think thats the only flaw of the king, its stock motors aside from that nothing beats its quality for the price
Jul 12, 2007, 07:13 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if the stock motor is timed correctly ?
Jul 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
Idle up!
I would like to say that this heli rocks w/ the BL 3800kv esky motor. I would not shy away from going brushless on this heli..

People have also picked up the JGF 400DH and have reported even better results.
Jul 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
The stock brush motor works OK for the King2 with the stock battery for hovering and easy circuits, keep the bird stock and light. You should use a full heat sink or double heat sink with thermal paste, lube the motor shaft with light oil.

I have 2 RTF kits, the brush motor one had about 15 flights and the motor is still going strong. I fly with idle up and don't know there's any effect to the motor since it's spinning at full rpm all the time. The draw back is short flight time, you have to land and wait for the motor to cool down after 4-5 min.
Jan 01, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hello guys, the stock brushed motor works fine as long as you don't bog it and remember to let it cool completely before the next 4min flight, this is the replacement I use now, RC-Tek 3800KV motor (44g) w/11t 26.oo any 20-25A ESC will do, I happened to have an old Castle 25A and a 2A BEC so they joined for service in my HBK2. This heli has flown many many flights, is all stock parts as it came. I have replaced the tail blade grip bearings and the main blade grip bearings only so far, added a small stiffiner to chassis above the main gear and a bearing idler to the top of the tail box and thats it. I fly it 2-6 times each day I fly. HBK2 is an excellent training heli with a TP 2100, she balanced perfectly and rewarded me with very long flight times over 14mins easy!

see ya at the field
edz
Jan 02, 2008, 02:32 AM
My stock motor didn't even last through the blades tracking, it was dead in 10 minutes. Now I have an Esky 3800kv motor with 30 amp Dynam esc all for $40.

I just noticed this thread is a little old.
Last edited by Aaron1100us; Jan 02, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Jan 02, 2008, 02:55 AM
Just go buy a Dragonus.
IMHO you should go BL. Its just stupid to buy another brushed motor. Youll QUICKLY spend more on brushed motors if you dont upgrade to BL now. I used to think it was too expensive to buy a brushless motor but once I got my hands on one I flew my King 2 so much that it would have cost a fortune to keep it in the air with brushed power. Just think, you could spend that next $5 on a spare part incase of a crash...not another motor...

-Alex
Jan 22, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hopefully I'll get my King V2 tomorrow By the way, does anyone know why that damn stock motor burns up that fast? Is there any way to prevent this? Any short-term solution?? At the moment I haven't got the bucks to go brushless

I really can't imagine that E-Sky includes a stock item that stops working that fast.
Jan 22, 2008, 12:44 PM
I need more lipos!
Go to brushless ASAP!

I've learned this in the hard way, i used my stock motor to track my blades and trim my heli. Then when i tried it to hover, on my 3rd pack my ESC burst into flames!

I cannot get close to my king because its out of control. The rotors spins up then dies, then it will spin up again like it was possessed by a bad spirit. It doesnt respond to my control because my ESC are all fried. Few seconds after that incident, i rushed to open up my canopy and disconnect my batteries. the rotors still spins up which is very very scary, for some reason the battery connectors got stuck on my ESC and i need to use pliers to take it off, the whole process took around almost 2 minutes because everybody is panicking. Good thing is that nothing got broken except for my ESC, and i hope that my servo and my RX are still functioning. Im waiting for my BL setup on the mail.

Quick Reply