Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by brucea, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:43 PM
Pickle72 is offline
Find More Posts by Pickle72
Matt Mabry
Pickle72's Avatar
Fundango is dead

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127059
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2008, 12:45 PM
IH8VTEC is offline
Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Registered User
IH8VTEC's Avatar
You know all we want are pics...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:25 PM
habitforming is offline
Find More Posts by habitforming
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar
Can I get an opinion from one of you covering experts? Trying to decide between lightweight SolarFilm and typical Ultracote for a Hobby Lobby Miss Stik Sr. (55" wingspan lightweigh RET floater).

My thread is here, post #5: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914623
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:46 PM
hoffboy is offline
Find More Posts by hoffboy
Matt Haugh
hoffboy's Avatar

Old School


How about silkspan over mylar (doculam)? Beautiful, durable, and light. You can dye it whatever color you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
Can I get an opinion from one of you covering experts? Trying to decide between lightweight SolarFilm and typical Ultracote for a Hobby Lobby Miss Stik Sr. (55" wingspan lightweigh RET floater).

My thread is here, post #5: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914623
Old Aug 29, 2008, 01:34 AM
markag is offline
Find More Posts by markag
Staying away from trees..
markag's Avatar
habitforming:
I would go with solarfilm. The plane is on the larger parkflyer size range, and ultracote might be too heavy and too strong for the airframe. Solarfilm should be just about right. You could probably even do solite (solarfilm light) if you wanted to, but it is somewhat transparent in the lighter colors.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:20 AM
habitforming is offline
Find More Posts by habitforming
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markag
habitforming:
I would go with solarfilm. The plane is on the larger parkflyer size range, and ultracote might be too heavy and too strong for the airframe. Solarfilm should be just about right. You could probably even do solite (solarfilm light) if you wanted to, but it is somewhat transparent in the lighter colors.
Thanks markag

I went with AeroFILM (Solarfilm). I think it will do just fine!
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:39 PM
7rider is offline
Find More Posts by 7rider
Registered User
7rider's Avatar
I'm going to be covering a SOARstik wing with yellow solite on the bottom and blue transparent solite on the top. I'd like the covering to meet on the top wing spar cover and my question is how I get a straight edge on the yellow over the blue. The blue solite will be easy since it will be the first layer, and I can just cut away from the spar cover, but how do I get the straight edge with the yellow solite? I read the tutorial where the red and white meet at the top, but I didn't catch the method where you get a straight line with the top layer. My concern is that I'll cut the blue solite when I try to cut a straight edge for the yellow solite.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:11 PM
NoFlyZone is offline
Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
I'm going to be covering a SOARstik wing with yellow solite on the bottom and blue transparent solite on the top. I'd like the covering to meet on the top wing spar cover and my question is how I get a straight edge on the yellow over the blue. The blue solite will be easy since it will be the first layer, and I can just cut away from the spar cover, but how do I get the straight edge with the yellow solite? I read the tutorial where the red and white meet at the top, but I didn't catch the method where you get a straight line with the top layer. My concern is that I'll cut the blue solite when I try to cut a straight edge for the yellow solite.
Hi 7rider,

I'm trying to visualize a wing with a yellow bottom, and blue top. But I'm having a little trouble trying to figure out why the covering on top of the wing at the spar is being cut? Isn't the whole top half of the wing being done in blue?

Please forgive me inability to visualize this...

Chuck
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:24 PM
7rider is offline
Find More Posts by 7rider
Registered User
7rider's Avatar
On the top, I only wish to use blue from the trailing edge to the top of the wing at the spar. The yellow will wrap over from underneath, past the leading edge to the top of the wing at the spar. I thought this might give a good contrast to the top of the wing.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:45 PM
NoFlyZone is offline
Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
On the top, I only wish to use blue from the trailing edge to the top of the wing at the spar. The yellow will wrap over from underneath, past the leading edge to the top of the wing at the spar. I thought this might give a good contrast to the top of the wing.
Hi 7rider,

In reply #47 in this very thread, does the plane in the picture sort of resemble what you are tryig to do?

Chuck
Old Sep 07, 2008, 01:47 PM
habitforming is offline
Find More Posts by habitforming
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar

How to penetrate covering with a control rod?


Could someone share their thoughts on how best to pass a control rod through the covering? Should I just poke a hole and run it through? Should I put in a backing plate and drill a hole?

I'm about to cover a Miss Stik. Attached is a picture of the area I'm working with. Similar situation on the bottom, of course.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 03:31 PM
hoffboy is offline
Find More Posts by hoffboy
Matt Haugh
hoffboy's Avatar

Backing Plate with Tape?


I wonder if a layer of clear packing tape might help keep the covering from tearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming
Could someone share their thoughts on how best to pass a control rod through the covering? Should I just poke a hole and run it through? Should I put in a backing plate and drill a hole?

I'm about to cover a Miss Stik. Attached is a picture of the area I'm working with. Similar situation on the bottom, of course.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 04:26 PM
Spackles94 is offline
Find More Posts by Spackles94
War Eagle!
Spackles94's Avatar
You could always make a simple bracing out of two pieces of scap balsa, and put one on either side of the pushrod tubing. Therefore, when you go and cut the little hole to let the tubing go through, you can still iron the covering there and it won't tear.

That's what I've done in similar instances -- also for when I need to route servo wires from the wing to the fuselage.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:48 AM
habitforming is offline
Find More Posts by habitforming
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
habitforming's Avatar
here's what I came up with. I used an 1/8" brass tube as a punch to make the holes.
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:52 AM
Spackles94 is offline
Find More Posts by Spackles94
War Eagle!
Spackles94's Avatar
Great solution -- it will work well!

You're probably going to be doing this already, but if you can, go ahead and remove the pushrods before covering. It will make your covering job much less stressful.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Journey for a beginning R/C addict soholingo Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 842 Apr 03, 2003 12:30 PM
Best covering film for newbie? astroboy Electric Plane Talk 8 Jul 20, 2001 03:59 PM
What Covering To Use for the Chrome on my T33 Joe Elston Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 May 21, 2001 10:04 AM
covering jobs for zagis barn buster 50 Foamies (Kits) 1 May 04, 2001 09:30 PM
New covering film for light models bipeflyer Parkflyers 6 May 01, 2001 01:49 AM