Jul 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

VT flying wing thing

so i havent built anything in a while and i was jonesing for a new, quicker build before i got locked in on a new never ending large project

i had been drawing these types of configurations for a while and since i was tired of usual conventional aircraft, went with a wing

the general configuration is pretty much like a stryker/funjet type layout, though i have not yet decided on 1 or 2 verticals, canted or no, etc; maybe even tiplets...

the major twist on this build is that im gonna install a single plane thrust vectoring sytem on it, just to see what it does not gonna lie; the ultimate goal is backflips (or frontflips) within its own length

of course ill get it flying pretty before i activate the VT mix, just to make sure its a viable airframe first

not looking for ballistic speed, doesnt even need to be fast really... just rediculously agile hehe

data so far:
span: 40"
length:34
wing area: 450 square inches
primary building material: protection board (?)... the new FFF
spars: spruce so far
motor: E-Flite six series 2700kv; unless somebody has a better idea thatll turn
a 5 to 8 inch prop... most likely an apc e 6x4
prop: prolly an APC E 6x4
batt: 3s 2000-ish mah
servos:HS 65's on elevons... something bigger (HS 81?) on VT

ill try and get a scan of the basic 3-view and post it here

so far i have completed the outboard wing panels and the inboard wing panels. tonight im fleshing out the details of the internal supports and structure to make sure it can stand up to the VT system as well as some pretty stressful flight loads.

been thinking about names... maybe ill wait to see if it flies lol... dont wanna waste a good name lol

-David
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thread OP

pics

k so i borrowed my roomates camera

forgot to mention also that the ailerons will be made out of 2" balsa aileron stock

the inner wing root sections still need joiner ribs and some more structural reinforcement, but you get the idea

the nose/cockpit area will be made in 2 halves out of 1.5" blue foam, with a cavity cut out for the battery compartment

-David
Jul 10, 2007, 09:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
that's rock'n!

...looking forward to seeing the rest of it
Jul 10, 2007, 09:51 PM
Use whatcha got!
Yurp... Speaking up to say I likey, and to subscribe!

-ms
Jul 10, 2007, 11:15 PM
HappySpringPerson
David very impressive!!!
Jul 10, 2007, 11:19 PM
Sweet

Kevin
Jul 11, 2007, 08:15 AM
Thread OP
last night i finished the spar halves, though i hevent rejoined them yet

i also made a second, "aft" spar out of 2 layers of FFF sandwiching a 1/32" ply layer. the motor mount structure will tie into this, and this spar will in tun tie into the rejoined spar... so hopefully the hole thing will end up fairly strong

still pondering the vertical surface question; 1, 2... 3? i dunno yet; maybe even some bottom vertical surfaces too in order to increase stability in high alpha maneuvers

-David
Jul 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
I would use 2 vertical surfaces on the wingtips providing that they are not at any angle besides straight

Kevin
Jul 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
Great project! I've been toying with a vectored thrust idea too, I also want to do flips in the planes own length.

Bob
Jul 11, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
got the aileron stock and some foamsafe CA today at work; good to go

tiplets huh? i know they would work the best; provided i mount them straight... so maybe ill make them removeable in case i want to install inboard verticals... still thinking

-david
Jul 11, 2007, 07:09 PM

Awsome Design

Can't wait to see the results
Jul 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
thanks

update:

so weve got the e-flite six series at the store, and thats $80; weve also got the himaxx 2825-2700 at the store, which is also $80

the himaxx is heavier but more powerful...

heres my explanation for why i need more power... i think

the VT system requires one more servo; and a strong, heavy one at that. i want at least one to one thrust so i was thinking with the added weight of the VT that i would need more power

any other ideas for beefy powerplants???

-David
Jul 12, 2007, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
finished the spar "box" assembly; kinda stuck for now till i get the hinge system for the motor all figured out.

i think im gonna use a clamshell mount for the motor, that being bolted to either aluminum or plywood "ears", which in turn have piano hinges (preferably metal or really strong composite) attached to them, and those then bolted to the back of the aircraft in a very beefy mount

ive got a test this week so probably no more progress till friday night or maybe saterday

-David
Jul 12, 2007, 12:30 AM
Fly by grace
May I ask which foam-safe CA you are using ?
Jul 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here is a Line Drawing that I did of your design in CAD.
this is a screen capture.

CAD ver available , just ask :-)

I assume that you designed IN some TIP washout.

Now tell us how you managed to do the LE bending ?

That will determine the radius.

It appears that you may have simply folded them,
maybe with a backside crease ?

What meterial and thickness are you using?

Thanks for the design

Quick Reply