Jul 09, 2007, 01:34 AM
VE7FM
Thread OP
Discussion

Problem with the 4mm connectors on the Mamba Max

On the weekend a friend had a problem with both of his Mamba Max systems. The motors would be fine one second and just sputter the next. Having used a lot of Castle and brushless systems in general I figured one of the three connections was bad. I had been told by several hobby shop owners in the area they had customers with the same problems(I was part of the Max beta test group and they knew it). The suggested fix from Castle support was to remove the connectors and hardware the motor to the ESC. Having not experienced the problem first hand I figured it was a cold solder joint on the connector. Now that I have seen the exact problem I was able to determine its caused by the motors 4mm plugs. The spring barrel around the gold pin are manufactured too large. When you plug them into the tubes on the ESC you get what feels like a snug connection but in reality its a very poor connection as the spring barrel cannot compress enough to make good contact with the gold pin. The connection can easily be tested. Plug the connectors in, the poor connections will easily spin when you hold the ESC and motor wires. A good solid connection doesn't want to turn at all.

I am guessing you're aware of the problem, if not check into the above. Many people locally have experienced it, when its not bad enough to stop the motor altogether they just say the system cogs a lot and have no idea its a connector problem.

Lastly, will you send out replacement 4mm plugs for people who are comfortable replacing them themselves? Hardwiring the motor is tough when you're used to switching the motor atleast twice every race day. My friend also got one of the 5700kv systems packed with the 7700kv motor(since corrected), I am just trying to restore his faith in the Max after a really miserable race day.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply