Jul 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
Winging it Ò>
Gary,

Looks great!

In regular forward flight, are you flying with elevons primarily or rudder or both?

Dan
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2007, 07:14 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Gary,

Great job on the video! I like your hat cam. I'm going to have to try that.

-Tim
Jul 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Thread OP
Dan,

For shallow turns, I HAVE to use rudder. Otherwise, it just banks a little but keeps on going straight. For aggressive turns, I can bank 90 degrees and pull on the elevator without using the rudder.

Tim,

Thanks! Here are some pics of the hat cam. Bit of foam rubber is to keep the camera from tilting back when I look up. Tie wraps are just additional security, and the end below the brim serves as my sight, It's directly in front of my right eye.

Gary
Last edited by sr71fan; Jul 11, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Jul 11, 2007, 02:13 PM
HappySpringPerson
Gary i got the exact same camera you got i should try that pretty soon. So i wont have to ask my family memberes to do my filming.
Jul 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
Gary,

You must keep it angled low on your forehead because I tried it earlier and all I got for video was of the sky and not the plane... Now that I see yours, I'll have to try the foam trick.

Dan,

No rudder on mine. It's totally aggressive and fast when pushed.

-Tim
Jul 12, 2007, 06:18 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Yeah!!!... with no rudder, mine too is "Bank and Yank" ...no problem though ...JUST FUN!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 12, 2007, 02:00 PM
Belgian Herk's Forever!

Another FunFlyer !

Congratulations ! Great design ! Any plans ?

THX ,

Bob
Jul 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Bob,

Nope... It's basically a 22" disk with angled elevons. Use your imagination for the upper and lower portions. Work off the center lines and keep everything in proportion and centered.

-Tim
Jul 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
gpw
gpw
Watch some old Sci-Fi movies and UFO shows on the Space Travel Channel (sattelite)... you'll get plenty of ideas...
Jul 13, 2007, 03:49 PM
Belgian Herk's Forever!

CG and rudder ?

Same CG position as on the USAF UFO ? and what about the rudder
( control throws , combi-switch ...)

Anyway , great Job !

Bob
Jul 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
CG will depend on equipment used. Mine came in at 3.5" from the leading edge. This gives me a more level flight. I know SR likes to hover so his is further back.

No need for a rudder on mine. The cabin of the UFO acts as the rudder.

-Tim
Jul 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
I whipped up this "thing" this afternoon. Its kind of Buck Rogers-like, no? 17" ws, KF top-step w/ elevons. Will be powered by a 1300 blue motor. ..May add a fake rocket cone to the rear fuselage before painting. I will have to test glide to find the CG.

Jasta
Jul 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
Now that's cool! KF wing. Not sure about the double fins on the bottom. Keep us posted.

-Tim
Jul 14, 2007, 05:58 AM
gpw
gpw
Cg at 25% on ours ... same as USAF UFO...
SR will have to tell ya' about the rudder ...we haven't used one yet...Probably need it for hovering indoors...Like SR, the "Hover King"...
Jasta ... That's pretty strange , but cool ...
Jul 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder

It's Alive!

Maidened what I am now calling "Buck Goldfish" this morning...Paint will be gold. Its not a very "floaty" thing..came in a bit heavy @8.5 oz. But...it flew on the first try...no test glides, just guessed at the CG, strapped on a homemade hatcam like the one pictured above, hit the throttle and tossed. Short video of maiden here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75#post7800042
Wind was up this morn, so I hope to get some better video this afternoon..close in shots and profile passes.

Jasta

Quick Reply