Jul 16, 2007, 12:31 PM
Time for some more eyecandy!

I took the Bristol Freighter off the ceiling for a flight at the local flying field this last week and wrung it out. I also tried some very non-Bristol type flying!

This is Ivan's original Bristol Freighter and the 2000 Nats Electric Scale winner (I think he built it for this contest...?). 9 feet of wing and a cavern of a fuze.

All original configuration with 6s2p 4400 (soon to be 6s3p 6600... its a pig!). Those scale props are NOT efficient.

This airplane is a giant pussycat to fly... a 9' parkflyer.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
BE58/SR22T
Absolutly Magnificent!

~Matt
Jul 18, 2007, 08:00 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Hello Guys

I'm a fan of Ivan's planes, based in England. I have a Minicat, which I built this Spring. It flies beautifully, very stately. But there's a shortage of water to fly from round here, I've only managed a couple of visits to the lake. Still, it lands perfectly well on grass and, with a bit of headwind, it takes off on the hull as well.

I like it so much I've orderd the Mosquito from RTModels. That was last week and it hasn't arrived yet. I think they'll stop it at the customs and charge me an extra 17.5% VAT. It's a project for the Autumn - I've used up all my "kitchen table goodwill" building the Catalina, so I can't start anything that big till I've done a bit of gardening and built a cupboard. You know the problem, I'm sure.

Nick
Jul 18, 2007, 08:13 AM
I didn't dare to try those waves!
Jul 18, 2007, 09:27 AM
Nick

How come you did not go for Ivans Mosquito?
It flies superbly.

Tell you how well.
At a new field I have just started to fly on, the grass was a bit too deep. Could not see the wheels at all....or most of the undercarriage either come to that.

With the throttles opened she kept getting checked by clumps of tall grass so I held full up elevator in and she lifted out of the grass barely above the stall but with no signs of tip stall or falling out of the air either.
Levelled her off to allow her to accelerate and away she went.
I had 15 mins of enjoyable flying before setting her down again with no sign of tipping over.
Jul 18, 2007, 10:24 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Hello Guys

I've orderd the Mosquito from RTModels. That was last week and it hasn't arrived yet.

Nick
Nick,
I ordered the same model from RT and it took about three weeks here in the states. The Mossie kit is "made to order". Once your order is placed, it is then sent to the kit cutter.

The wait will be worth it.

If I get a chance, I'll take pictures of my kit tonight.

Perry
Jul 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
Pentaxman!

Don't Panic! RTModels make a lasercut kit of Ivan's Mossie, as you will have guessed by now, if you've read Perry's message above.

I've just been reading your Brilliant Build Thread on the Mossie. Congratulations! a real success story.

I bought this Gladiator kit from them last summer and I was a bit frustrated. The web site says it's for advanced builders and I'm not really all that advanced. What they meant was they hadn't finished the manual off properly. Still, the kit was all there and they provide a link to the manual for the Mossie, which looks much more comprehensive, so I went for it. I like the luxury of having all those ribs and formers pre cut for me, without having to make repeated trips back to the model shop for bits I'd forgotten.

I'll look forward to your pics Perry. Are you also in the UK? I see you have been to Washington (state?)

all the best

Nick
Jul 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
AMA 670207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud

I'll look forward to your pics Perry. Are you also in the UK? I see you have been to Washington (state?)
Nick,

I live in Washington State. Visited the UK though.

Perry
Jul 18, 2007, 11:58 AM
Nick

I am so glad about that.

If you have any questions about the Mossie (or the Chipmunk come the that), please feel free to ask, either on here, on the Hub or of course you can PM me.
I built mine without the NACA cuffs on the outboard wing panels, so with them fitted the Mosquito will be a real pussy cat to fly.

I have a copy of Ivans plans for the Minicat, but a lack of space to store it once it is built so that will have to wait. Maybe a winter build if I am lucky.

Right now I am doing some stuff for Peter Rake, 1st finished & flown, 2nd model being built for completion very soon, and one kit on the way to test building to confirm the cutting is OK.

Could really do with some good flying weather right now though!
Jul 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
That RT Mosquito looks good. But I wish it was the smaller one. Then I could put those Speed 480 on it. This last week I have gotten some motivation and started to build 2 of Ivans Helio Couriers. I will be framing them up and my friend will be finishing them. Since I suck at covering.

Colin
Jul 18, 2007, 02:06 PM
Thread OP

de Havilland Comet

I received these pictures via Ivan. They're from Cam Tetrault, who I believe along with his father Leo, built this beautiful de Havilland Comet. I posted one of the pics in the Hall of Fame but it's a shame not to post the rest of them as they're so nice - I don't think they'll mind.

Thomanie and Baldguy, good news, I hear Leo is now working on a Lancaster. If I get any photos I'll post them.

Nick, I sent you a PM...

Enjoy the photos!

Luke
Jul 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Luke you evil guy you.
I had forgotten that Ivan had drawn Comet plans. I might just have to talk with him and get a copy of them.
Just need to finish up replacing the landing gear on my 1/4 scale Monocoupe 90a clean off the work bench and I'll be starting both the Solant and the Lancaster. My 98" span Cloud Dance will just have to wait yet again.
Rick
Jul 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
Funny that you should post the pics of the Comet. I just found out that Cam and Leo are building a Lancaster, I was curious if it was one of Ivan's designs. I used to be a fellow club members of theirs. I just tried to call Cam but there was no answer, I'll try to get a little more info.

Brad
Jul 19, 2007, 12:38 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Well, a little more progress has been completed on my Alby..

I cut some more wood and I have secured my cover scheme..
Jul 19, 2007, 04:04 AM
Wow! that Comet really is beautiful. I think the Catalina was also one of the best looking planes of that age. I've been trying to get hold of an old Donald Sutherland movie called Steelyard Blues, which featured a Cat. I saw it when it first came out but I don't think it's on DVD now.

The Mossie is another of the classics. It looks great in black. But, Pentaxman, do you have any problems with seeing the orientation? I don't crash very often these days (except for my flying wing) but when I do, it's usually because I've let the plane get too far away in light that's not very good or, once recently, because I forgot to put my glasses on. Ivan's web site mentions that he uses the tranier livery for his Mossie to make it easier to see. P'raps it's just an "old guy" thing.

You mentioned that you built it without the NACA cuffs and I'm tempted to try the same. The Cat has those and I think it needs them. As it is, I need to give it some reverse aileron in anything but the gentlest turns. It flies so slowly that the tip of the inner wing must be generating almost no lift at all. Is that what the cuffs are supposed to correct against? The Mossie is a very different beast.

Nick
Last edited by nickchud; Jul 19, 2007 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply