Apr 05, 2018, 02:07 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Here's a very neat DH Chipmunk, built by Christchurch club member and new BIMB Malcolm Bird. The first flight is due this morning under the thumbs of Trevorh. Fingers crossed!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2018, 06:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Nice work!
Apr 05, 2018, 06:49 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Good luck, perfect day for it.

Lovely model.

Apr 05, 2018, 07:45 AM
Maiden flight safely negotiated this morning. As we’ve come to expect with Ivan’s designs, it flew beautifully. Congratulations Malcolm.
Apr 05, 2018, 11:52 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Looking good.
Apr 06, 2018, 05:55 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
I'm very glad to say that the maiden was a complete success:

"My thanks to all at Strawberry Field today for the successful Maiden Flight of my Ivan Pettigrew Chipmunk. I am grateful for all your interest & helpful kind comments during the "stressful time" I needn't have worried as all was under the expert control & pilotage of Trevor Hewson, without whose help, encouragement & advice I would never have completed the project. It was at his instigation that I started, which at times, I confess, regretted, however, we completed it after 18 months.
The weather conditions were perfect, after the usual pre-flight checks & adjustments by Trevor & Peter Chaldicott the first two flights went well, then they it deemed time for me to have a go on the Buddy Lead. Oh Boy, what an magnificent experience, that is, after my nerves & heart rate had settled down.
Particular thanks to Alan Butterworth who managed to find time to take photographs of the occasion.
Thanks to all for a great day & your support.
Regards
Malcolm"

Alan's superb photos can be seen here
Apr 06, 2018, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
I'm very glad to say that the maiden was a complete success:

"My thanks to all at Strawberry Field today for the successful Maiden Flight of my Ivan Pettigrew Chipmunk. I am grateful for all your interest & helpful kind comments during the "stressful time" I needn't have worried as all was under the expert control & pilotage of Trevor Hewson, without whose help, encouragement & advice I would never have completed the project. It was at his instigation that I started, which at times, I confess, regretted, however, we completed it after 18 months.
The weather conditions were perfect, after the usual pre-flight checks & adjustments by Trevor & Peter Chaldicott the first two flights went well, then they it deemed time for me to have a go on the Buddy Lead. Oh Boy, what an magnificent experience, that is, after my nerves & heart rate had settled down.
Particular thanks to Alan Butterworth who managed to find time to take photographs of the occasion.
Thanks to all for a great day & your support.
Regards
Malcolm"

Alan's superb photos can be seen here
About 18 months was about the time it took me to finish my Ivanís 480 size Short Solent as a first time Ivanís builder . Congrats from across the pond Mike ! Joe
Apr 06, 2018, 10:49 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Hi Joe, it was Malcolm who made the Chippie, not me! I just took some pictures and wrote the post.
Apr 06, 2018, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
Hi Joe, it was Malcolm who made the Chippie, not me! I just took some pictures and wrote the post.
Nice plane whoever built it ! Iam hoping to finish up Ivanís larger twin otter soon and start another of his seaplanes:-) joe
Apr 06, 2018, 11:58 AM
I can't get your link to ~Alan's photos to work Mike. It takes me to a page entitled 'blank' which, funnily enough, is completely blank.

Apr 06, 2018, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
I can't get your link to ~Alan's photos to work Mike. It takes me to a page entitled 'blank' which, funnily enough, is completely blank.

the link worked for me on my cell phone , my PC was giving me some issues so one day I took it out in my back yard and beat it with my old 28 oz framing hammer, didnít fix it but I felt so much better . Lol joe
Apr 06, 2018, 01:33 PM
The link works for me as well and Mike is right, Alan's photos are indeed spectacular. It was very difficult to select a single one for the Hall of Fame, I hope no one will mind if I add a few more to this post.

Malcolm your Chipmunk is a truly beautiful model and I trust now the 18 months of labor are over that it feels a rewarding investment. Trevor would seem to be a friend of the best type, who having gotten you into a mess to begin with at least remained with you until you got out of it.

I'm sure people are getting tired of me saying it, but in my own personal view (always correct), the lines of the Chipmunk have seldom been exceeded in their elegance of almost Aphrodisian quality. I know it was only a trainer but goodness they made her gorgeous. You certainly deserve to frame one of Alan's photos for your workshop.
Apr 12, 2018, 12:32 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
A couple of pictures by Trevorh of his and Malcolm's Chipmunks, taken today at Strawberry Field.
Apr 28, 2018, 01:20 PM
Here's my DH90 Dragonfly, waiting for a change in the weather.

Apr 28, 2018, 02:26 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Here's my DH90 Dragonfly, waiting for a change in the weather.

Such an elegant aircraft.

Quick Reply