Ivan Pettigrew Planes - Build Threads and Videos - Page 226 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by LukeZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 29, 2017, 11:30 PM
N96RC/N3178W
Hello Andrew,

I have that email address as current as November of 2016. I would imagine it is still current, and other people here Im sure can confirm this.

Out of curiosity, which plan are you thinking of selecting?

-Matt
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2017, 01:14 AM
Welcome Andrew. That is indeed Ivan's correct email address, and this is his website: ivansplans.com

We are entering now what I personally feel is the best time of the year: the blasted heat of summer is slowly fading, fall is just around the corner, and hot cider and the holidays, and dreaming about elaborate projects in the workshop to occupy our time during the dark months. So you have come here at the exact right moment in history.

You are a man of good taste to consider one of Ivan's plans, and also a man of some prior wisdom to add the tidbit about "realistically" building into the summer months next, since that is usually what happens!

Welcome again, and if you stick around may you find a supportive group. If you are unsure of what to build I'm sure you can get many lively opinions here, but I suspect you have your eyes on a few designs in particular already.

Luke
Aug 30, 2017, 07:52 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
That's right. See the first page of this thread for more details. Welcome!
Aug 30, 2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. Matt, although it has been my interest in flying boats which has brought me here. The devil on one shoulder says go for that (nothing massive) but I have a feeling that a build of this nature might be a bit much for a first proper scratch build. My current front runner is the Twin Otter. Any other suggestions most welcome tho.

Luke, we're on the same page. Always good to have something lined up over the winter months, although living in Scotland I know nothing of the 'blasted summer heat'!

Andrew.
Aug 30, 2017, 04:40 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Hi Andrew, the Twin Otter is a very popular build and flies very well, both off land and water. Have you looked at the BIMBO thread? There are a number of us in the UK and Europe who have built Ivan models and we get together at least once a year: the last meeting was in July when we got 18 models together over a weekend.

Mike
Sep 03, 2017, 05:37 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the BIMBO thread. Lots more great inspiration and info!

I've been mulling over my options again and am floating between the Twin Otter and Chipmunk. The availability of laser cut parts for the TO is a bit attraction. Does anybody know if similar files have been made up for the Chipmunk plans?

Can anybody give me some guidance as to the relative skills level required for each build and/or comparative flying characteristics of the two designs?

Any insight much appreciated.

Andrew
Sep 03, 2017, 06:14 AM
Hi Andrew,

I would say that if you have built anything other than a slab sided trainer type model, then there is a fairly good chance that you can build either of the machines you are considering. They are fragile during building so they have too be handled with care until they strengthen up as the build progresses.

My son (Pentaxmanjr) is currently building the Twin Otter and is typical of Ivan builds, and is his first Ivan machine . I have seen a couple of the Twin Otters fly and they fly very well both off land and water.

I have built the Chipmunk which was my first Ivan build, which I followed with the Mosquito, MiniCat and currently the Beaufighter - so I guess I am addicted. The only bit of uncertainty with the Chipmunk is around the rear of the wing where the plan is a little sketchy. If you have built before then this is very do-able. Flying wise, she is a beauty. Goes where she is placed and can handle winds well for a light plane, I have flown mine through the winter on almost flooded football fields and in winds up to 20mph (measured). Mine started off flying on 3S 1300mAH pack and now flies with a mixture up to 3000mAH.
Sadly the build thread has gone when the other forum closed but I have some pictures on my website.

The only comment I will make is make sure you have plenty of space in your car and hanger as either take up a fair amount of space. The one piece Chipmunk wing is a great shelf clearer!

Welcome to Ivan Pettigrew builts, and of course BIMBO's
Last edited by pentaxman; Sep 03, 2017 at 06:32 AM.
Sep 03, 2017, 08:18 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Haven't built either, but I'd say that the TO is by far the easier build, and has the advantage of wheels or floats if you live near a pond. Also a huge number of colour schemes!
Sep 03, 2017, 02:00 PM
I have not built the Twin Otter but I agree it is likely to be the more straightforward construction. The Chipmunk is more curvaceous (and therefore beautiful), but sheeting those curves can be a bit more challenging. The Chipmunk also has the marked disadvantage of needing to source a canopy, which can be a quest in itself.

The Chipmunk is easy to fly and absolutely gorgeous, so I am not disparaging it in any way. It was perhaps my favorite plane to look at of all the many models I ever built. But the TO will build easier.

I can't speak to their relative flying characteristics having only flown the Chipmunk. In difficulty I doubt they are very much different, the Chipmunk is low-wing but I found it quite docile. To look at them one might suppose the Chipmunk to have greater aerobatic potential, and perhaps it does, but with enough power I bet you could get the Twin Otter to make some moves as well.
Sep 03, 2017, 02:06 PM
In other news, I received some pictures of Rick Bell's "Large" Lakemaster (scaled up 150%) which flew at the August Chilliwack event.
Sep 03, 2017, 03:12 PM
Andrew, just to add my welcome to this thread and to BIMBO.

I too have built the Chipmunk and there is a full build diary on my website (linked from the first page of this thread or go to bartonhewsons.uk ). I also have nothing but praise for how the Chipmunk flies but have to agree that the Twotter will be a much easier and quicker build and is also an excellent flyer.

Trevor
Sep 04, 2017, 01:14 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Welcome Andrew.

Let me put in a vote for the Shoestring. That also flies well on floats. It's my go-to plane for any of the fun and games at the flying club - balloon bursting, limbo and all that stuff.

All these planes are very accurate and responsive flyers.

Nick
Sep 04, 2017, 06:31 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
If it is any help, I have a master plug for the canopy moulding for the Shoestring which can be formed by Vortex Vacforms.
Sep 08, 2017, 08:28 AM
Hi Andrew, welcome.

I built the 600 version of the TO some years ago, and it is still a firm favourite.

The flying characteristics are first class and its slow flying (and tight turning) especially with the flaps drooped are much admired at the patch.

I also managed to buy a set of floats (of indeterminate origin) at a swapmeet which seemed to be about scale size and work very well. It adds a whole new dimension on the few occasions I get to fly off water.

Flight duration from a single 3600 3S lipo is in excess of 8 minutes, with at least 30% charge remaining.

Motors are brushless outrunners. If you decide on a TO and want to update to brushless I can let you have details of the set-up as a starting point.
Sep 14, 2017, 04:00 PM
Hi all. Can someone tell me how to get in toutch. With Ivan.P. no response on his email .... Ivanp2@shaw.ca. ? I' m in the need of a wing rib templates or a complete plan set for the DH Comet. Have to build a new wing !
Thanks for any help. Ivan. "Ivve" Hallberg. Sweden