Jul 03, 2014, 04:37 PM

Differential thrust

Rick,
It proved a successful morning :-) the Solent is programmed and the differential thrust works great.
Your my HERO!

It seems that I had failed to move the esc plug from the channel 3 spot on the Rx before I started your programing. /-( it was a simple case of "head up and locked) syndrome . Drat....I hate doing that!

I'm posting all of my settings if anyone is interested.

Futaba 10C
4 engine differential thrust
Mix1. (Thro-gear
Rate. -100%
Rate. -100%
Offset. 50%
Master ch3
Slave ch5
Mix on
Trim on
Link on
SwB
Posi Null

Mix2. Thro-Aux1
Rate -100%
Rate -100%
Offset 50%
Master Ch3
Slave Ch7
Mix on
Trim on
Link on
SW C
Posi Null

Mix3. Rudd-gear
Rate +20%
Rate +- 0%
Offset. 0%
Master Ch4
Slave Ch5
Mix on
Trim on
Link on
SW Stk-thro
Posi. > 30%

Mix4. Rudd-aux1
Rate +- 0%
Rate -20%
Offset. 0%
Master Ch4
Slave ch7
Mix on
Trim on
Link on
SW. Stk-thr
Posi>. 30%

Sub trims to match servo values and arm escs
Thro. +120
Gear. -120
Ch7 Aux1. -117

So there you have it !
Both you and Wormhole gave viable solutions and expanded my knowledge of programing and for that I thank you both!!!

Fair winds
Robert

Possibly tomorrow the winds will be favorable and Al and I will get her on the water.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2014, 06:38 PM
Wormboy,
I just realized I have acquired "Hoof in Mouth disease". Drat....
My apology for referring to you as Wormhole. Somewhere in my pea brain a synapse mis fired.

I did notice a fine S-39 your building, a beautiful airplane to model! The S-38 is on my list but I'm not sure about building it in this life time, I have a giant kit 140" in my garage from Classic Aero but gee whiz after looking at the plans it seems a monumental amount of work!
Thanks for your input on differential thrust, I did get them to work, I ended up with Rick Bell's version using the throttle stick switch idea.

Fair winds
Robert
Jul 03, 2014, 07:24 PM
Robert:
Glad to here you got it working.
Rick
Jul 03, 2014, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus1
Wormboy,
I just realized I have acquired "Hoof in Mouth disease". Drat....
My apology for referring to you as Wormhole. Somewhere in my pea brain a synapse mis fired.

I did notice a fine S-39 your building, a beautiful airplane to model! The S-38 is on my list but I'm not sure about building it in this life time, I have a giant kit 140" in my garage from Classic Aero but gee whiz after looking at the plans it seems a monumental amount of work!
Thanks for your input on differential thrust, I did get them to work, I ended up with Rick Bell's version using the throttle stick switch idea.

Fair winds
Robert
Lol, no probs Robert, I've been called many worse things than that
I'm just pleased you got the solution to the problem and everything is working as intended. Since we've all learned something along the way, even better.
Thanks for the kind words on the Sikorsky. I looked long and hard at the classic aero kits but went the cheap option and got plans. I regret that a bit now that classic aero has closed the website. Anyway, coulda woulda shoulda. My s39 is getting her coat of spots as we speak and will be maidenening next weekend. Keep an eye out for videos, I'll post then in my blog.

...and back to our regular scheduled Pettigrew-related discussion before we hijack the thread too much more.
Jul 04, 2014, 02:16 AM
No hijack boys! That was some good teamwork and tenacity on display there, which I like to see.

You actually had a very fruitful discussion and the question of differential thrust comes up quite often here, as you can imagine. Big thanks to Rick and Mat (Wormboy, your friends want to call you something nicer ) for sticking with this and getting it figured out. That's a lot of time to tinker with your radio for someone else! But I'm sure it will ultimately benefit quite a few more people than just Robert.

I put a link to this discussion way down at the very bottom of Post No. 2 of this thread, under the "Other Important Information" heading. I doubt anyone will see it, but hopefully I or someone else will remember the link is there, and next time the question comes up we can refer to it.

Thanks again guys, and Robert, good luck on that maiden. Say hi to Al for me.
Jul 04, 2014, 09:18 AM
I've been flying my Sealand regularly and have never had a need for differential thrust. With good controI I've managed to pilot the Sealand anywhere I want to go. If it gets too windy or choppy it's time to get off the lake anyway.
Jul 05, 2014, 01:19 AM

Dif. Thr.

Fast Freddy, you loose 50% of the fun!
Jul 05, 2014, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
I've been flying my Sealand regularly and have never had a need for differential thrust. With good controI I've managed to pilot the Sealand anywhere I want to go. If it gets too windy or choppy it's time to get off the lake anyway.
Since when has this hobby been about needing anything?
Q. Why do we do stuff?
A. Because we can and it's fun!

Although I agree with your assessment of conditions. If it's choppy then it's building weather.
Jul 05, 2014, 03:21 AM

Ken's Catalina

Ken Spokes' beautifully built miniCat finally took to the air last Wednesday. Ken was worried that it might be a little heavy and underpowered but it lifted off with power to spare and handled just as you would expect. Has there ever been an Ivan build yet which didn't?!

The pictures are by Ken himself (he gave me the transmitter).
Jul 05, 2014, 11:43 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
That's a beauty!

Well done, Ken.

Jul 05, 2014, 03:14 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
+1 to that

Cheers,

Bart
Jul 06, 2014, 03:27 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
And another beauty. And they all fly so well too.

Jul 06, 2014, 05:21 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
She is a beauty Ivan. And what a lot of work in there. Best of luck on the maiden,

Mike
Jul 06, 2014, 12:12 PM
Looking very smart Ivan. If it handles like Ivan P's prototype, you will be well pleased.

Quick Reply