Jun 20, 2014, 08:45 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
Congratulations. Stunning work. You must be relieved with the culmination of the over the top flight.
**Neons** Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2014, 09:31 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Pilot's a bit out of scale though...

Robin
Jun 20, 2014, 11:11 AM
Beautiful, stunning job Matt...Congratulations!
Jun 20, 2014, 12:23 PM

Blackburn Beverley

Thank you Mike and Robin for the great advice re powering the Beverley.
I have decided on using the Turnigy 25-30 , 900 kv, 215 W along with appropriate 3S batteries and ESC.
I am still a month away from the first lift off, however
Great job on the Solent Matt. As far as videos go I have seen none better.
Congratulations

Lorne
Jun 20, 2014, 12:47 PM
96RC/3178W
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear57
As far as videos go I have seen none better.

Thank you, everyone!
I am currently working on uploading the video of the second flight. This time we used a rifle-style shoulder camera mount which was made out of an old rubber band gun. We also switched lenses on the camera to a less zoomed-in one (shorter focal length) because I wanted to use the long focal length one to take still photos. The video is much smoother, but it would help to use the long focal length lens to make everything larger.

Here it is:
Solent Flight Two (9 min 29 sec)

Matt
Last edited by MattZC; Jun 20, 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Video added
Jun 20, 2014, 03:29 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
I've just caught up with this first flight and the wonderfully athmospheric videos. What a triumph Matt - well done! (And a special mention for the beautifully behaved dog!). I think the lens suits the second video perfectly and gets my vote as being the best of the year so far. Even the music is just right. And you are one skilled flier!

Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Jun 20, 2014, 10:48 PM
Close enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZC
...The video is much smoother, but it would help to use the long focal length lens to make everything larger.
Matt
Very nice video and a beautiful Solent. I have my Solent plans on the shelf awaiting my retirement in a few years. You've inspired me.

Marc
Jun 21, 2014, 01:00 AM
96RC/3178W
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlyer
Very nice video and a beautiful Solent. I have my Solent plans on the shelf awaiting my retirement in a few years. You've inspired me.

Marc
Marc,

Get it going! I'm sure you could find me wishing I was retired somewhere in my build thread, then I'd have all the time in the world to build airplanes. Unfortunately, I haven't even finished college yet, so you could say I have a few more years between my retirement than yours!

The Solent is an easy build, mine just took so long due to my lack of perseverance and inexperience (I had never built anything from scratch, or really even a wood kit.) The Solent is only the second plane I had ever built and finished from wood so I spent loads of time teaching myself all the techniques that an experienced builder would have already acquired. I would bet that if I had to do this again, and I had the same drive to build it as I have had for this model, I could have it done in 2 years, and thats with a full time job and college to deal with!

Another plus with the solent is that you can go a long long way on about $150 of balsa wood. Also with the option of using brushed motors, the costs can be lowered even more in comparison to another model of this size.

Matt
Jun 21, 2014, 02:46 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Well it certainly looks as if you have now learned most of the techniques you need for future building Matt, which is not to say there aren't others you'll gather as you go.

Next step is to start adapting other people's designs in order to gain some improvement in the finished model - either its scale outline or detail.
Just to give an example, your eye has probably already told you that Ivan's design is weighted strongly towards lightness but that one cost of this is that along the sides of the nose are two lines ahead of the cockpit that you don't see on the full size aircraft. They can be eradicated by an adjustment downwards to the point at which the slab framed sides end so that the curve can start smoothly at that point - and it can be done with no significant weight penalty, just a little more effort in planking. Or maybe with a bit of blue foam sanded to shape. A small price to pay in some modellers books for a better looking model.

Once you have sufficient understanding of the methods and techniques involved it is then a short step to taking the outlines from available 3-views and blowing them up into a size you want to build your own design to and filling in the structure from information you already have at your disposal. There are still many aircraft types for which there are no plans available to buy and a hungry publications animal eager to be fed with them and to feed them to the modelling world.

That would bring you enough money back in to pay the cost of building your prototype and suddenly what may have seemed an expensive hobby can become one that pays for itself. When you have a family (which we all seem to have to go through despite the fact that there are already far too many humans on this planet) there may well be times when that will be worth having.

You have shown us that you already have many of the skills needed... I am just trying to open another door to a possible future that you may like to consider.

Be encouraged by our plaudits! You have the power!
Robin
Jun 21, 2014, 02:57 PM
Close enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZC
Marc,

Get it going! I'm sure you could find me wishing I was retired somewhere in my build thread, then I'd have all the time in the world to build airplanes.

Matt
My concern is transporting a bunch of planes. I'm living in New Mexico now. I'm retiring to Arizona in a few years. And I have enough planes already that I'm going to have to transport. I'm trying to collect only kits and plans right now.

Marc
Jun 25, 2014, 07:41 PM
LukeZ
Since this seems to be the source for four engine boat information might someone have an idea on how to program a Futaba 10C for differential thrust? I've got my motors paired up on each side thru a y cable to channel 5 left and channel 7 right slaved to the throttle. What I'd like for water operations is add the slaving to the rudder channel keeping it proportional to the throttle yet decreasing the rpms on the side your turning into proportional to the rudder input. I'm not sure if this makes sense /-) or if it's possible.
Fair winds
Robert
Jun 25, 2014, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus1
LukeZ
Since this seems to be the source for four engine boat information might someone have an idea on how to program a Futaba 10C for differential thrust? I've got my motors paired up on each side thru a y cable to channel 5 left and channel 7 right slaved to the throttle. What I'd like for water operations is add the slaving to the rudder channel keeping it proportional to the throttle yet decreasing the rpms on the side your turning into proportional to the rudder input. I'm not sure if this makes sense /-) or if it's possible.
Fair winds
Robert
Hi Robert.
Ive got my futaba 7c set up with differential thrust for my puddletwin. I would imagine the programming will be similar enough for you to transfer over to your 10c, particularly as you have the inner and outer motors on each side slaved together . I'll have a look tonight and post up the mixes I have.
Mat
Jun 25, 2014, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus1
LukeZ
Fair winds
Robert
Robert:
I've got my Solant flying with a Futaba 9C. I would need to sit down with my 10C to figure out if it can be done the same way.

So here's what I did with my 9C. Four (4) separate mixes. You already have two in place; to match both sides of the aircraft. Don't touch them. As both sides are doing the same thing.
Next program two more mixes. use a switch to activate them. Both will use the same switch. With my 9C I was able to use the throttle stick as the switch such that with the throttle below a set stick position it would turn on. (no fumbling to find the switch to turn it on/off)
Set the throttle as the master and channel 5 as the slave for one mix and channel 7 as slave for the other mix. you will need to adjust the travel to 0% for one direction and up to 100% the other way. reverse this for the other mix.
I'm just getting ready for work hope this helps. If you want I could play with my 10C and try it.
Rick
Jun 26, 2014, 12:06 AM
Rick and Mat,
Thanks for your quick replies!
My settings as of right now are on the sub trims ...throttle 0, channel 5 & 7 -85 (this was to get the escs to arm..... On the servo pageThe motors start spinning when I advance the throttle and the values approach -120I. just couldn't figure out how to get the same when I mixed in the rudder...the motors always screamed. This us my first attempt at serious mixing , I've never used more than 6 channels...flaps and dual ailerons :-)
Fair winds
Robert
Jun 26, 2014, 12:11 AM

My project

Here us what I've built.

Fair winds
Robert

Quick Reply