Aug 05, 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell
Luke:
Yup: I got the e-mail from Ivan last night, after my last post. So then this makes this the third Mosquito that he has done.
Rick
.......and I haven't even started my short kit version of his 72"Mossie design!?!?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh
Ah, but you forgot to update the caption on the Express
I humbly submit this as my entry for Pedant Of The Year!
Entry accepted! But you're right. I also had the month of the maiden wrong, and the order out of place. All's fixed now - might as well do it right if at all!

Doing the math I was surprised to see it's been three years since Ivan did the Express, which was his last full build before this Mosquito. It doesn't seem like three years... I guess time flies. I'm sure that's how it felt to him.

Luke
Aug 05, 2011, 11:11 PM

Mosquito 480

And here is the Video of how well it flys

Mosquito480Aug.wmv (4 min 57 sec)
Aug 06, 2011, 02:54 AM
Very nice - and there's probably just enough time to build a transit case for it for your forthcoming UK BIMBO trip
Aug 07, 2011, 02:21 AM
Thread OP
He wasn't lying about the size of those loops! The landing gear doesn't seem to mind the grass at all, even though the plane is fairly modest in size.

Luke
Aug 21, 2011, 05:38 AM
low and slow

Red Bull Albatross

It takes the best part of a year to complete one of these things, but I have finally finished my Albatross. Initially the plan was to use the colour scheme from the Norwegian Air Force, but I settled for some free advertising, so I made the Red Bull instead.

I made some modifications to the plans. The wing is in 3 pieces and the tail is removable. The tail is interlocking plug in as on the Mars. This makes storage and transportation a lot easier. Well worth the extra effort.

Apart from this the build is fairly traditional. I used epoxy and fibreglass below the waterline, and MonoKote on top. Decals are made by Callie as usual.

It is powered by 2 GS 915KV motors with a HobbyWing ESC in each nacelle. One common battery. The propellers are 10,4” counter rotating VarioProps. They actually rotate the “wrong” way to reduce the chances of picking up water spray. On a full size plane the inboard propeller blade will move downwards to reduce control problems if you lose an engine.

The radio setup is the same as on the Mars. 2,4 GHz Futaba radio with differential motor steering, Aileron servo in each wingtip. Both ESCs powers the receiver in parallel, with a 4,8V receiver battery as backup via a diode.

Flying weight with a 5000mAh 3 cell battery is about 2800g. Which is slightly more than Ivan’s model as usual

Here are some pictures from the maiden flight on August 12, 2011. I have some video as well, but haven't had time to edit it yet..

Arvid
Aug 21, 2011, 06:59 AM
ParkScaleModels
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Arvid! I can't wait to see the video!
Aug 21, 2011, 07:15 AM
WOW! Very nice work! Hard to tell it's a model, looks like the real, full size version!!
Aug 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Yes, she's really good - looking forward to seeing her at the BIMBO meeting.
Aug 22, 2011, 01:08 PM
low and slow

Albatross Video

Made a video of the maiden flight on 12. August 2011.

The Albatross is quite different to fly than the Mars. A lot more agile and sensitive. I just copied the transmitter programming from the Mars, but I had to do some changes.. Mainly reducing sensitivity. I also had to move the CG a bit further back.

Youtube again blocked the video in Germany due to the music..
If anyone there want to watch it, PM me, and I'll give you a direct link.

As usual my brother had camera duty...

RC Grumman Albatross Bergen (6 min 3 sec)

Arvid
Last edited by SASflyer; Aug 28, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: updated video
Aug 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
build like there is no 2moz
Arvid,

Absolutely beautifull.

Your really impressed me with your First (i mean 4th Landing), a real greaser.

I love the finish on the Albatross, first class, and it looks good to fly too.

Can't wait to see it in a few weeks

Scott
Aug 22, 2011, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Great video Arvid. Like many videos of Ivan's models, it almost looks like it was shot in slow motion. She sure looks like a pleasure to fly, especially on such a calm morning as you had.

I added it to the video list at the beginning of the thread.

Luke
Aug 22, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
I also recently received this from Ivan, about a fellow modeler in Chilliwack, BC named John Gemmell, who built his Beaufighter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
It flew late last year and is John's first serious scratch build. This model is quite a challenge to build and I think it is the first one I have heard of that has been completed. John wanted to do it because of a close connection with a pilot who flew one in WWII. It has flown a couple of times and John is taking time out to improve the retracts.
Many people will recognize the location of the photo... Great job John!

Luke
Aug 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Arvid, I am heartened to see that you can't always avoid the bounce on touch down either - mind you, your success rate is a lot higher than mine with the Sealand! Have you worked out what the secret is to avoiding the bounce?

Trevor
Aug 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Arvid, beautiful viedo, the landing, were good considering it's new.
Great job of building and flying!!
Jim

Quick Reply