Jul 06, 2007, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dumas 1940 Chris craft 19' barrelback

Hello has anyone built the 1940 19' barrelback Bumas kit #1234 ? Is this a a good kit material and engineering perspective? I was thinking about powering this boat with a 700 series motor and 12 cell batt pack. I built the Mack propduct 1939 Thunderbolt over a year ago and am hooked on this style of boat. Any info would be helpfull. Regards Andris Golts.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2007, 09:28 AM
Where's the pond?
All the Dumas Chris Craft kits are well-enough engineered and can be finished to a high standard. You'll find that the wood used for internal frames, which are not visible after construction, can be low quality with smashed and splintered edges. Also, the fittings fall a bit short of "museum quality", but many folks are happy with them.

Pat M
Jul 06, 2007, 12:07 PM
KC8WPF
The 700 motor will work, and is about the largest motor you can install. There is about 2 inches of clearance under the rear seat for the motor. There is about 5 inches of clearance from the end of the prop stuffing tube to the aft cockpit deck cutout. The aft cockpit deck cutout is coverd by the rear seat.

There is room for a 6 or 7 cell battery on the right side under the engine hatch. You'd have to piggy back two 6 cell batteries there and add some ballast to the other side to balance the boat.

I'm in the process of repowering my model and will post some pictures later.
Jul 06, 2007, 01:14 PM
CG Bob,
Where did you get the small yachting flag? I have one on my classic speed boat, and I am starting to like them. Might look good on my steam launch.

Thanks
Steve
Jul 06, 2007, 03:42 PM
GC Bob The model is great. I like the trailer very much. Did you scratch build it? What is it made of?

Thanks very much

Grav
Latest blog entry: Sea Maid
Jul 06, 2007, 05:01 PM
KC8WPF
I got the yachting ensign and CC burgee from Loyalhanna Dockyard, both flags are cloth. The trailer was scratchbuilt, from brass stock; the pieces were silver soldered together with a small butane torch. The tires and rims are for 1:10 scale cars.
Jul 06, 2007, 05:25 PM
Thank you very much that was just what I wanted to see. You know all you need is a 1/8th scale "Woody" to haul the boat around and you would be all set. Thanks again.

Grav
Latest blog entry: Sea Maid
Jul 06, 2007, 07:22 PM
Here's mine Ten years old and still running strong

Roger aka GIFLYRC
Jul 06, 2007, 10:58 PM
KC8WPF
Here are some pictures of the engine room. When I built the model, I installed a stock MACK Products stuffing tube. The original motor shaft was offset from the prop shaft quite a bit, so I used some rc car pinion gears to power the prop. After about three years I changed that to a belt drive system. I made a new mount so the motor was over the stuffing tube, with the motor shaft facing forward. Since I broke the last belt I had on July 1st, I decided to rip[ out the old belt drive mount anfd go with a direct drive.
Jul 07, 2007, 12:36 AM
Hey GIFLYRC, I think my driver is related to your driver.
Last edited by tim slocum; Jul 07, 2007 at 12:54 AM.
Jul 07, 2007, 12:45 AM
P.S Excuse the RTR, but Ive done alot to it since the above picture was taken to improve things. New cloth flags, new rear flagstaff, new motor(20turn),new prop(sharpened and balanced Octura x430), and a new flex coupler. I also painted those chrome "steps"(whats the name for them?) semi flat black,like their supposed to be.CG Bob, you boat looks very nice......want to race? Just kidding.
Jul 07, 2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah Tim,

Looks like they have the same hair dresser too!

Roger
Aug 10, 2007, 04:38 PM

Video of my Dumas Chris Craft Barrelback

I was fortunate to buy this on ebay for an amazing price. I bought the Pro Boat boat stand separately (so please do not confuse this with the Pro Boat model - although they look incredibly similar.

Onboard RC Chris Craft & Onshore Views (2 min 54 sec)
Aug 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
WooHoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone
CG Bob,
Where did you get the small yachting flag? I have one on my classic speed boat, and I am starting to like them. Might look good on my steam launch.

Thanks
Steve
Hello,
Another source for a U.S. Ensign flag, http://www.captainsmodels.com/ go to the bottom of the page. These flags are very nice & clean.
Oct 15, 2007, 06:52 AM

Decals for a barrelback

Can I ask where you good people get those decals for the name on the stern and the sides? My barrelback has only got as far as starting the mahogany planking, but I have experimented with making my own decals using inkjet on a decal film (and it was useless...)
Any help advice on where to get these decals? I would preferably like script font like Lyonesse Bold or Forte Bold.
Thanks!

Quick Reply