Jul 05, 2007, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FROG Linnet at 36" span with flying shots...

Heres a picture of my recently finished scaled up FROG Linnet, at just over twice size, with brushless electric and micro r/c, I was delighted with its first flight (at 52 minutes), its almost totally silent, and I couldn,t wish for a nicer vintage flyer, now that I'm hooked on the brushless electric / vintage combination, I think Vic Smeed's Debutante will be next. I always try to finish the aircraft in period colour schemes, and I think the dark blue and cream looks good - even though I say it myself!!!
Last edited by marksherlock; Jul 14, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2007, 04:04 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
That really is a very nice conversion sir!
What motor and battery combination have you chosen?

Graham
Jul 05, 2007, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Hi Graham - it has an Axi Gold Line 2212/34 brushless motor and a 3 cell 1320 mAh Lipo, this combination provides a good reserve of power, and a long flight time - All I need now is some good summer evenings to fly it!!!!
Last edited by marksherlock; Jul 14, 2007 at 06:13 AM.
Jul 05, 2007, 05:17 PM
B for Bruce
At SFA they did a Frog cookup for the designs. There's heaps of character in all of them and this version just confirms that the looks and flying manners have legs outside of the small sport rubber versions
Jul 05, 2007, 08:33 PM
This Sir, is a thing of beauty! Was there much trouble rigging the pull-pull for the rudders?

More pics please!

Robert
Jul 05, 2007, 10:54 PM
Good Better Best quest.
I love these e powered revivals would you be related to Stewart Sherlock (long time modeller)by any chance?
Jul 06, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
The cotton closed loop system for the twin rudders and elevator are shown in these pics, I spent a lot of time during the build thinking of different ways to do the rudder control, but settled on this, both rudders are connected to a central mounted mini servo and the thread to the outside of each rudder actually passes through the fins. - Not very high tech, but simple, reliable and weightless!!!
Jul 07, 2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.thestuarts.eclipse.co.uk/senior_plans.htm
Jul 09, 2007, 07:32 AM
Gravity gets me down.
A beauty!

Would love to see pics of wing structure... how did you change it with the enlargement?

hmmm... love the Heron, but maybe as a tail dragger. So many beautiful planes, so little time!
Jul 09, 2007, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Hi Wingbeat,
the only changes in the scale up were structural ones, the outline of the aircraft is exactly correct, even the wing rib spacing is correct, but with LE half ribs fitted to keep the aerofoil shape. the fuselage is built up as you can see instead of the sheet used in the small Linnet. and the section of fuselage over the wing had to be removable with the wing (on the original model the wing slid into the wing slot..not feasable on this model. I attatch a wing view.(as you can see the model was going to be red and cream - but I didn'tlike it!!! sorry the wing was covered before I took any pics, the FROG Interceptor box was just used to show the size of the model..
Jul 09, 2007, 01:25 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Thanks Mark- I was curious as to what reinforcements had to be made in the wing structure- seems like only larger lumber overall and extra half ribs. Cool.

What's the covering?
Jul 11, 2007, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
Hi Wing Beat,
the wing is just a standard 3/16" x 1/2" mainspar on the botton and above it a 1/8" sq stringer, and the ribs are 1/16" sheet, it does'nt sound very strong, but the 1/8 stringer over the top of the main spar makes the wing quite rigid. Just the usual 1/16" ply dihederal braces on either side of the mainspar and LE and TE to just beond the first rib position, the centre section of course sheeted to take the fuselage fairing. The model is covered in Litespan. The dihederal was left the same as the original FROG model.
Jul 11, 2007, 03:07 PM
Thread OP

1 Hour 16 minutes - best flight so far!!!

Last nights flying session with the Linnet, was the best flight so far (flight number3!!!) A super calm evening, hand launch at 20.18, then a mix of low flypasts, some slow, some fast, and a bit of general low level stuff, then half an hour of back - and -to as a tiny spec at about 500 feet, I then had to show its awsome climb rate to the other guys!!!this thing climbs like an F16!!!! Then, back down low for a bit more close up stuff and finally a landing at 21.34 - My longest ever flight with an r/c model - 1 HOUR 16 MINUTES -and the battery was far from empty ( we just landed coz it was nearly dark) This is probably the cheapest little model I have ever built - and I'm just amazed at the duration, If you are thinking of building a model like this you wont be disappointed -Power Axi Goldline 2212/34 with 3 cell 1320 maH Lipo.
Last edited by marksherlock; Jul 11, 2007 at 04:17 PM.
Jul 12, 2007, 01:24 AM
Sounds like you have a sweet setup.

This is my first introduction to this airplane and I just have to say, what a neat looking airplane... lots of style.
Jul 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
A few distant flying shots from flight number 4!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply