Apr 20, 2019, 03:58 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I know I am wandering off topic here but I have to tell this. Many years ago when I was just getting introduced to RC about 1970, in the club that I belonged to at the time, a small group started building what we called WWI profile scale free flight. The planes were 3/16 sheet profile fuselage with 1/16 sheet flying surfaces and stabs. Power was Cox .020. One of the guys must have been an old free flighter because his planes were perfectly trimmed. He could fire up that .020 and set the plane on the ground; it would roll a short distance then take off in a gentle climbing left turn. When the engine ran out of fuel, the plane would transition to a gentle right turning glide and return to earth. Most of the time when the plane entered ground effect, it would essentially enter a gentle flare, touch down and roll out to a stop. You couldn't do it any better with full control. Just a fond memory that I wanted to share.

Charlie, have you decided on which powered glider you will build?

Tony
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2019, 08:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Not yet. Several to choose from.

charlie
May 15, 2019, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I looked at all the options and decided to go for the Aerodrome Jenny kit (thanks for bringing that to my attention jwellsy!) It is just the right size for me (66'' span) and designed for glow power.

So the good new is that I was able to score one on ebay, however it's missing the instruction booklet. Does anybody have that booklet? I'd love to buy it, but just a photocopy or scan will do the trick.
May 15, 2019, 09:52 PM
I have one. Here are some pics I found of completed ones. I'll scan my manual tomorrow.
May 16, 2019, 07:53 AM
Here you go. I also ran it through an OCR filter so it's copy/paste able.
May 16, 2019, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
Here you go. I also ran it through an OCR filter so it's copy/paste able.
This is a lifesaver. Thank you!
May 17, 2019, 07:55 AM
I thought I was having a mild cranial gaseous event. The one page that really needed reproduced accurately some how got turned landscape. I rescanned the Gusset & Cabane Template sheet to take out distortions. But, it kept squeezing it onto the short leg of a landscape. It didn't matter if the OCR filter was on or not. Finally I scanned it as landscape and it saved as portrait. Go figure. Anyway, this important page is now as close to the original as possible. Here's as a pdf and a zip, they should be the same, but at this point who knows what it will be like when you get it.

Gusset & Cabane Templates

Gusset & Cabane Templates
May 17, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Your effort is not taken for granted sir.
May 17, 2019, 10:54 AM
So I'm thinking of doing this Jenny in the Flying Circus theme (see photo). What red should I use? I see Monokote has 3 reds - missile red (too bright), true red and dark red. Opinions?
May 17, 2019, 12:17 PM
Have you found any pics of a full scale example? Those 2 you posted are a model.
May 17, 2019, 12:34 PM
Nope, wasn't able to find any.
May 17, 2019, 02:23 PM
Parkcityflier
Definitely True Red

Jim
May 19, 2019, 10:29 AM
Owner - Flying Models
Do you really want high gloss plastic on a Jenny?
May 19, 2019, 10:42 PM
Hmmm that’s a good point. What other options are there?
May 20, 2019, 06:51 AM
SIG Koverall and Polycrylic makes a nice tight covering that doesn't sag in the sun and holds onto paint really well. There's several youtubes on how to apply it.
https://sigmfg.com/collections/finishing-accessories

Quick Reply