Jul 05, 2007, 05:55 PM
Ryan, that is a beautiful Jenny. Could you post a few more pictures, maybe some close-ups?

Thanks,
Terry
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2007, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Ryan, Proof that my theory of that old "way too much power is almost enough" thing just isn't true ----- way too much power is just "way too much"!!! For a model like the Jenny, 35 - 40 watts / lb. is plenty.

PAT
Jul 05, 2007, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrover
Ryan, that is a beautiful Jenny. Could you post a few more pictures, maybe some close-ups?

Thanks,
Terry
Thanks Terry! Here are a few more shots.

I covered it with coverlite, cut the decals from coverlite, found some real leather strips at a craft store for the engine straps, scratch built the engine from balsa and plastistruct based on pictures I found online. Attached the cowl and bottom battery hatch with magnets for easy access. Stained the wood struts, used fish hook eyes for securing the rigging, built the spoked wheels from the aerdrome kit, blah blah blah.

After these shots were taken I did a little more weathering and a little airbrush tinting with a super thin dirty brown to make it look even older. It's my best looking plane by far if I say so myself

OK back to Pats build, the sooner he gets it done the sooner I can buy one!
Jul 05, 2007, 10:17 PM
Thread OP
Ryan, The detail shots look great. Excellant build!

PAT
Jul 06, 2007, 11:05 AM

Engine and Cowl Detail

Pat, Anxious to see how you will handle engine/ cowl/ louver detail in the kit, so important with the Jenny. Wish there was a way to simulate OX-5 sound with a miniature playing card in the prop arc
Jul 06, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
E- I just saw the pics from Sparky for the plastic parts. I promise, you'll be impressed!!!

PAT
Jul 06, 2007, 01:28 PM
Owner - Flying Models
Looks great Pat!

Thayer
Jul 06, 2007, 01:54 PM
Pat - you seem to have cut a 1/8" stick or two in your lifetime. I'm just curious if you use just a regular knife and blade to cut them, or some sort of chopping device to get square cuts.
Jul 06, 2007, 02:57 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Looking great!! Was wondering if you were ever going to get to the Jenny.

Lets see it has been three days and you don't have it ready for covering yet!!???? I guess you have been busy doing other things

Hope it goes together well and we are all awaiting for the flight reports.

Try to stay cool out your way. Supposed to hit 99F here tomorrow, looks like early AM flying for sure.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jul 06, 2007, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Von, If I had a nickel for every 1/8" sq. stick I've cut in my lifetime I could have retired years ago. But that's OK, who needs to retire when you're having this much fun.

I use a plain old fashioned X-Acto knife to make the cuts, then dress the end of the stick with a sanding block. Again, after you do it a couple million times it starts to become second nature.

Brian, I figured you'd be chiming in somewhere along the way. Framing is about half done, hope to make some good progress this weekend.

PAT
Jul 06, 2007, 09:12 PM
That's the way I do it, to. I just thought maybe you had some magic bullet. You're right, after a while, it's amazing just how accurately you can sand the required angle into the end of a stick! Another cool party trick to impress the women.
Jul 07, 2007, 12:42 AM
Owner - Flying Models
Cutting with a knife or single edge razor works well, but it is very easy to miss the angle, hence the need to dress the end. The Fourmost Miter Sander is a good way to clean up the cuts.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG876&P=7

Put a small fence on one end, and you will have a permanent 90 degree reference.

While you are looking, I also recommend the Fourmost miter cutter.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG873&P=7

These two tools are usually the first on the bench when I start a new project.

Thayer
Jul 09, 2007, 08:16 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Control System In

The design will include a built up system that will allow for either a pushrod driven, cable driven, or cable slaved elevator depending on how its set up. The down and dirty way would be a simple epushrod and no cables at all. Another alternative is to drive the elevator with cables by driving the cable belcranks with a pushrod. I opted to go with a pushrod driven elevator with dummy cables back to the belcrank assembly -- scale in appearance, but a much more positive system then cables. The rudder will be cable driven.
Jul 09, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thread OP

Building Up the Landing Gear

All three landing gear components were made up from 1/16 steel wire. The front and rear struts were taped to the mount beams and the assembly soldered together in place.

The top wing center section is together now too. Still need to fit the reciever tubes and shape it up.

Quick Reply