Pusher props vs Standard prop sound level - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 30, 2007, 09:47 AM
Discussion

Pusher props vs Standard prop sound level

I just changed over one of my standard APC props to a pusher version. I would swear that is is louder...anybody else have that same experience?
Last edited by agriebel; Jun 30, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2007, 02:56 PM
That thing's operational!
I've read about this before. Apparently it's because when a prop's at the front of the plane, it's getting a bunch of nice "clean" airflow over it which makes it nice and quite. When it's in pusher configuration, apprently the prop is getting a bunch of "distorted" airflow over it since the airflow is being disturbed by the drag of the airframe the motor is attached to. Therefore, it seems to make the prop rpm's louder than they are at the front of the plane.
I don't know about that for sure but that's what I read somwhere once and it makes sense to me.... What'dya think?
Jun 30, 2007, 03:04 PM
I had the tractor prop in the rear before and now I changed it to a pusher. It's on the right direction also.
Jun 30, 2007, 03:18 PM
I've noticed it as well. I used a 10x6 folding prop up front on a P-51D and it was quiet as a church mouse. The same motor, the same prop, the same esc and battery then mounted in a pusher prop delta jet and the noise was definately louder. Must be the turbulence.
Jun 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
Average User
Quote:
Originally Posted by agriebel
I had the tractor prop in the rear before and now I changed it to a pusher. It's on the right direction also.
I think your point is being missed.

All you did was change from a "regular" prop that was mounted in a pusher configuration, to a "pusher" prop mounted in the same configuration.

Correct?
Jun 30, 2007, 03:30 PM
That is correct, phat23
Jun 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
The shape of the prop has a lot to do with its noise level. Perhaps the pusher is a little different shape. I have not noticed this myself, but I almost always just run standard props on these electrics because you can so easily change the rotation. No real need for pusher props unless you are using counter rotating props in the rear as on the duel motor SU37. Did you notice any thrust difference?
Jun 30, 2007, 04:05 PM
It was a different pitch and lenght prop, that is what must be the difference in the sound...thanks
Jul 02, 2007, 05:02 PM
I can fix that.
Have you noticed if the thrust is MORE with the pusher prop? On a friends twinjet with a 5.5x4.5 pusher and regular prop (to cancel torque), the pusher had alot more wind blowing behind it. When holding the plane, you can feel the yaw due to the difference in thrust. Changing back to two regular props, the yawing disappeared and the thrust appeared to be equal for both motors.

Very strange..he was lucky not to launch it.

Ken
Jul 02, 2007, 05:17 PM
They were two different props, so I can't address the power issue...