Jul 14, 2007, 06:55 PM
Eric,

Why would you sell that stuff? Are you afraid of flying it? To much hastle?

Anyway, if i go that route. I think it will be the setup i posted and maybe it will include a non flapped heavy layup Kamelot.

Jo
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimble_Schmitz
Can't seem to find them online so here they are again fresh from the laptop.

I made the HS-85MG servo arm as short as i could. Used a special plastic thingy to keep the wire from popping out. No slop there!

The bit that i glued into the slot in the aileron is just a piece of print board. Connected onto that is a normal metal clevis. Now i wish i had slightly biefed up the thin metal rod as it will flex a little under load. But i can't take it out anymore! The metal clevis has no room to open up! Oops!

It's not worth the hasle...... but i like to experiment.
Would you mind measuring your aileron travel. This looks really neat.
Jul 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Eric,

Why would you sell that stuff? Are you afraid of flying it? To much hastle?

Anyway, if i go that route. I think it will be the setup i posted and maybe it will include a non flapped heavy layup Kamelot.

Jo
The Heavier one was two much of a hassle. It required bungee and I've gotton spoiled with the self launchable 4S 4900s light weght; plus I've recently been interested in practicing F5B. I figure that 12S stuff is destined for a plane with a landing gear; that wants to do 200 plus.

Now if only there was a way to set up a proper F5B course and automate all the required people functions.
Jul 14, 2007, 07:09 PM
Will do tomorrow....... bed time here first!

Still i would not do this again. In future i am going for all out strenght and minimum slop. If it looks 'neat' is not going to matter when you get flutter and crash.

Make the servo arm really short, glue a nice big chunk of print board in the aileron and use a thick strong pushrod and connector! Those carbon covers look tha bomb!

Ciao.
Jul 14, 2007, 09:07 PM
Why you swing so hard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utcadman
I have used that setup on several planes. I kinda look at it as the anywhere-everywhere setup..
Off topic, sorry, you have this setup in a Bandit (1509/1.5D/6.7 Neu 4s 4900)? Wondering if you can tell me what your AUW is. I will put this setup in the Absolute but I wanted to see what it can or will do in the Bandit first. It just felt really heavy. I know it will fly but landing may be an issue. Thanks in advance.

Back to topic, I want an Absolute!

Juan
Jul 14, 2007, 10:04 PM
Sorry no, I use the Neu 1509 setup in my Spirit and Tiger. The Bandit is the typical 2826/8 with a 4s 4200 cc80.

The banidt would fly with this in my opinion, just a faster landing. (really fast).

The 1509 setup is what I will be using in the Absolute as well.

Hope that clears that up.
Jul 15, 2007, 12:38 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Kimble,thats much better way to do the links.Thank You and it does worth a hassle ,cleaner ,less drag,needs a small cover at the clevis entrance.Much more tricky of course but on the long run ....
Yuri.
P.S. My friend "PDX Pilot" has a Zoom race with 1509/1D 16/16 CC125 and 3S
4900. According to P-calc its a very unefficient set up,but according to my eyes its ballistick
Yuri.
Jul 15, 2007, 05:53 AM
At max deflection UP, limited by servo travel, i get 22mm measured at the start of the aileron, for both wings.

Looks like 40 degrees ish for brakes on landing. Added benefit is that the servo arm is directly in line with the push rod, making for not much power needed by the servo to keep the aileron up, pushing into the airstream.

Max deflection DOWN, limited by the gap seal of the aileron, i get 11mm and 12mm on the other wing.

I added some pictures to the other post.....
Jul 15, 2007, 07:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
At max deflection UP, limited by servo travel, i get 22mm measured at the start of the aileron, for both wings.

Looks like 40 degrees ish for brakes on landing. Added benefit is that the servo arm is directly in line with the push rod, making for not much power needed by the servo to keep the aileron up, pushing into the airstream.

Max deflection DOWN, limited by the gap seal of the aileron, i get 11mm and 12mm on the other wing.

I added some pictures to the other post.....
Thanks.

And FYI. My last Absolute was pretty loose in the aileron rigging, lots of linkage flex and I used cheapies (HS81's) cause I was just using leftovers to build out a second hand 200 dollar airframe. I went cheap / quick and dirty. after flying the plane, I regretted my build quaility during every subsequent preflight; but it sure flew nicely and never had any signs of flutter.
Jul 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Some photos of my Absolute slopin last weekend ... (photos taken by Steve Broughton - cheers mate!)
Jul 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
Nice!
Jul 16, 2007, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Throttle switching.

For those interested in setting up your Futaba 9C with an F5B style throttle, the post below makes reference.

E

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hrottle+switch
Jul 16, 2007, 03:33 AM
Eric, check your PM's.

Nice pictures!
Jul 18, 2007, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Eric, check your PM's.

Nice pictures!
Hey Kimble,

I checked and did receive them. Replied at length in two parts (1 of 2, and 2 of 2). Hope it made it through this second time around.

Also, great pics in that email. Maybe you'd like to post those shots here two for our inspiration.

And congrats on your promotion!!

Eric
Jul 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Update:

The radio is now set up and has a nice motor on timing feature via the trainer switch.

I'm having second thoughts on my selected motor. It turns out, after a visit to SD this weekend, that the 1512 1D is even more powerful than I'd originally thought. Further, the calc program seems pretty far off with respect to pitch speed. One of the guys there (very experienced) reported some prop testing data with his Avionik on the 1512 1 D; straight and level speed motor on was mid 190's mph radared. Hummm.

Since that's on Neu power 4S 4900's and as fast as I would feel comfortable pushing this plane initially, it's now looking like the one to try first; it was ordered yesterday and I'll try it with this proven set up; at least initially.

Quick Reply