Mar 14, 2009, 10:41 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
intiractive

Welcome to RCGroups! Hopefully you are not a complete beginner - the F&L is a great flying plane but isn't a beginner model.

To answer your question, it depends. Yes, it can be a three channel model is you use a "y" adapter for your ailerons. As long as you mount your ailerons in mirror image, when you deflect one up, the other will go down. Too easy?

Most folks use it as a four channel model with one aileron in the aileron channel and the other aileron in the "aux" channel.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2009, 08:24 AM
The Flying Dutchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
My Grandfather, "Poopsie" who recently passed, flew P-38's in WWII (June 42'- Jan 43'). He shot down two German fighters during this time. He was a fascinating person to listen to about the war. This plane is dedicated in his memory and will bear the name of my beloved grandma "Althea".

I plan on the all gray paint scheme and markings from European theater WWII, but I haven't had any luck finding what his plane may have looked like or decal sets for it. If anyone has any knowledge of what the scheme of the P-38 from this time and place would have looked like, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi there,

I have been looking for a couple of minutes on the net and found this Internet site: http://www.skycontrol.net/model-avia...rs2-esc-combo/.
I looks all Grey to me and it has the invasion stripes.
Just have a look it may just be what you are looking for.
Mar 15, 2009, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdno
Three channels.
1- Ailerons
2- Elevator
3- ESC (ie throttle)

My ailerons are mirrored on the plane and connected to the receiver with a y-cable .
after lookin closer, i realized that. thanks for the reply.
Mar 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginners luck
I have been looking for a couple of minutes on the net and found this Internet site...
BustedBlades - That's E-Flite's P-38 ARF kit. You can see more photos of it here:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Pr...ProdID=EFL6025

-Lee
Mar 15, 2009, 05:19 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Congrats to yarsmythejr on this OUTSTANDING design!!!

This is the best flying plane I have ever flown. I went sort of balistic on the motor setup because I built a little heavier. Came in at about 19.5 oz. Roll rate is incredible because of the 2" alirons. It has endless vertical and will glide as long as I want. Will not stall with hands off; it just floats down. I glide it a lot so I got well over 10 minutes in the air per pack. It was trimmed as built. No adjustments were needed at maiden flight. This is definitly one of the best scratchbuilt foamy plans on the net.

Motor: Turnigy 3530 1100 rpm/kv (30 watt max) pulling about 23 amps at max throttle
Prop: 10x7 ACP Makes about 250 W OUTPUT and 60 oz thrust @ 60mph
ESC: 25 amp Turnigy Plush
Batt: 1500 mah Zippy 20c 3cell
Rec: Ar6100

I will post video soon.

Peace,
Hebert
Mar 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
Congrats to yarsmythejr on this OUTSTANDING design!!!

...This is definitly one of the best scratchbuilt foamy plans on the net.
I have to second this! I've flown 10 to 15 packs with mine and have enjoyed every minute of it... best part of this plane? It flys like it's on rails... not something you can say about many foamies.

Hebert --- you mentioned in your build post that you laminated 5 sheets for the fuse to make room for the electronics. How did that work out? I'd love to build another, this time getting the battery, etc. out of the wind.

Thanks,
Dave
Mar 15, 2009, 10:08 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhadz1
I'd love to build another, this time getting the battery, etc. out of the wind...
Uh oh!! Here we go again!! You readin' this Danny boy!!??

You guys are going to make me build a sixth F&L with a full fuse aren't you!?!? Geesh...I thought I'd be done with the 24" mini F&L...guess I've got to do one more. This plane has turned into an 'open source' project! I enjoy everyone's new ideas and design tips.

Keep those videos and pics coming. And thanks again for your compliments!

-Lee

PS - Anyone here going to SEFF? One fella mentioned he was going to take his F&L out there. Is anyone else bringing theirs? Too far for me...wish I could make it.
Mar 15, 2009, 10:21 PM
Is it SEFF yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
PS - Anyone here going to SEFF? One fella mentioned he was going to take his F&L out there. Is anyone else bringing theirs? Too far for me...wish I could make it.
Mine will be there...
Mar 16, 2009, 03:19 AM

New Funder and lightning

Hello yarsmythejr,
After reading thru these posts i strarted making one. I increased the Fuse length by about 2 inches, in order to balance the F&L at 2.5 inches from the leading edge.
After assembly, balanced the plane correctly and did the maiden today.
It flew straight. But within seconds, when i was turning the plane it banked on to the left (it is not actually banking, it turns as if thru rudder) and crashed.
Repaired the plane in the field itself and tried again, this time changed the prop to an APC 90X43,( Initially it was 80X4.3 prop. I am using waypoint 2212-22) This time it flew better but always had a tendency to bank? (yaw) and crash in the turns. It is not due to the aelerons high rates. Definitely betwenn 80X43 and a 90X4.7 props there is a difference and with 90X4.7 i am able to fly but still not comfortably.
Can you people help me to identify the problem: some of my thinking is.
1. Is there a problem since the fuse length is increased by almost 2 inches?
2. I have mounted the motor staright w/o any right or down thrust. is this a problem.
3. When u increase the fuse length by 2 inches will the CG change. ( I have balanced it at 2.5".
my auw is 15.8 oz

Here are some build photos.

Ashta
Mar 16, 2009, 08:14 AM
I am not the designer , but I have been in RC for over 20 years. Also, it hard to help when you don't tell us what you are using for Radio setup?
1. making the nose longer , ( on this design ) will not change the cg IMO.(( or balance point )) I fly mine at about 2 3/4" for leading edge.
2. My motor has no down and almost no right in it.
Looking at your plane , changing your props will not make anything bank, my guess is bad servo? Wrong cg? Did you setup ailerons to move in the right way? Bad receiver ? ( GWS receivers are JUNK IMO )
CG or balance point, I see a lot of people who don't use a bubble level , and just eyeball it. And standing off to one side watching them do it, I can see they are way off. Make sure you REAL ARE level at the cg! Ailerons , (yaw ), to much down travel then up can cause ( yaw).
PS: aluminum arrows are very heavy . And bend very easily .
Last edited by DanT; Mar 16, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Mar 16, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hole digger
Hi, just doodling again, wondering what a Funder & Lightning could look like as a Defunderland Vampire.
Mar 16, 2009, 08:41 AM
IMO your plane has a swept leading edge, that will change the balance point or CG , will not fly the same. Next the spares on top ? When you have a good spot for them on the bottom of the main wing next to the KF? Have Fun.
Mar 16, 2009, 08:48 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRabbit
Hi, just doodling again, wondering what a Funder & Lightning could look like as a Defunderland Vampire.

I think it looks sweet. I would also try to attach the spars on the bottom of the wing. You can always work out the CG by good battery planning/ placement. Go for it. I want to see it fly!
Mar 16, 2009, 08:54 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhadz1
I have to second this! I've flown 10 to 15 packs with mine and have enjoyed every minute of it... best part of this plane? It flys like it's on rails... not something you can say about many foamies.

Hebert --- you mentioned in your build post that you laminated 5 sheets for the fuse to make room for the electronics. How did that work out? I'd love to build another, this time getting the battery, etc. out of the wind.

Thanks,
Dave
The full fuse worked out great. I have to give DanT credit for this idea. As you may have noticed, it did add a little extra weight, but I am not as concerned with weight as I am about power to weight ratio. I just build them to fly correctly no matter the weight, then size the power system to suit after the build.

Quick Reply