Aug 08, 2008, 06:57 AM
Weighed mine last night. Came in at a portly 20.8 oz. (That includes the 1500mA 3 cell lipo, which weighs almost 5 oz. itself). So the airframe came to just about 16 oz. I figure I'll be still adding another ounce to complete it. For some crappy reason, I just cannot build lite, so I usually overpower everything . I'm hoping this one has enough thrust...I'll see!

gofish
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2008, 09:46 AM
Wow! 20.8 oz!!
My setup on post # 292 came in at 14 oz. without battery.
And 17 oz. using a 3 cell TP 1320.( Battery is 3 oz)
And I used heavy Thunder Bird ESC 18A and Hitec 56 carbon gears servos .
Tip,, get ride of that (BRick your using for a battery!)
Aug 08, 2008, 10:03 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Gofish,

I agree with Dan. If you can, try to substitute the battery with something a bit lighter that can handle your motor power. Any idea how many amps you're pulling WOT? Try an 1100mAh pack or, my favorite, a Thunder Power ProLite 3S 1320.

-Lee
Aug 08, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm afraid I actually need that battery weight up in front to achieve the right COG. I've installed the ESC and receiver up front, and I still need the aluminum spinner to balance it.
Aug 08, 2008, 01:55 PM
I looked at your one picture you posted, could you move your firewall and motor forward?
Aug 08, 2008, 04:02 PM
Reap the wild wind

Full fuse F&L

To keep Dan T happy I've just completed a full fuse version made up of 6 sheets of 6mm black depron skinned with some light ply for added strength.
Ready to fly weight is 17.5 oz/493 grams with the 3 cell 1500 lipo accounting for 120 grams. The Hobby City 30 amp Supersimple ESC is mounted in the fuse above the wing with a rear vent hole to aid cooling and the Esky 6 ch RX is in the rear lower section of the fuse. For now I've just cut a slot in the light ply to take the lipo with blocks of EPP wedged either side to stop it moving around.
I'm using an Emax 1200 kv(70 g) on a plastic GWS stick mount and on a GWS HD 9x5 this gives me 200 watts at 19 amps or 142 watts at 12 amps if I switch to an 8x4 HD. I did originally try the Hacker style 20-20L 1053kv motor mounted inboard of the mount but experianced some problems at full chat - the shaft couldn't keep up with the outrunner outer. This was akin to car clutch slip and I initially thought the prop adapter was slipping.
Servos are 9 gram Vigor from UH.
Size and build is as plan apart from 2" ailerons.I usd a mixture of UHU POR,5 min epoxy and gorilla glue for the build. Went for the invasion stripe look - just masked up those areas I wanted to keep black and sprayed with a few coates of white acrylic. Found the images for the decals on the web and used Jetcal inkjet Waterslide stock. I wil cover with Johnsons Klear to protect them.
Yes, I did fly her before making her pretty and fly she did very well. Those 2" ailerons provide impressive rolls and she flys as if on rails. What took me by surprise was the inverted performance. This is my only plane(on number 15 now)that does'nt need any forward presssure so I must have done something right with the build. Oh and the design being spot on can't hurt - thanks Lee!
Here are some picts
Aug 08, 2008, 07:10 PM

Here is mine~!

I will try to maiden it this weekend.
ew
Aug 09, 2008, 01:49 AM
Reap the wild wind
Looking good Eaglewing. Good luck with the maiden. I launched mine underhand on full throttle and she flew like a champ 1st time. And mines a bit porky!
Let us have some motor,prop etc details so we can all learn what works best with it.
Cheers
Andy
Aug 09, 2008, 02:10 AM
Reap the wild wind
Don't forget to post any video if you can
Last edited by headlessagain; Aug 09, 2008 at 02:57 AM.
Aug 09, 2008, 01:34 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Love the two new kits fellas! Thanks for sharing.

-Lee
Aug 09, 2008, 03:57 PM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks Lee
Now I've got the hang of this depron wing building lark I might try making a twin boom electric glider using a longer, thinner, say 1.4m, wingspan. I would need to extend the booms and would extend the fuse at the front to take a larger battery & to allow for c of g adjustment.
You've got to love this foam building. Cheap materials,loads of free plans and if you build right,fairly crash resistant.
So far I've built the Estratos,Thunderstruck,Shuriken and your design. I also built a full fuse glider following a balsa model plan. This flew ok on an old RTF wing until I taped on some wing extensions and the wing folded about 100 foot up coming out of a tight loop! Amazingly I only needed to reglue the motor firewall and beef up the wing sadle. Thank god for cross weave tape.
Cheers
Andy
Aug 10, 2008, 01:57 PM

# 4 F&l

Grandson was having a problem balancing his with a lite 1000 mah battery, so we started this one. Note the long stick mount, we will cut once everything is installed and battery placement is where we like it. Going to try out a hacker a20-26m clone on this one.

Harold
Last edited by haroldpo6; Aug 10, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
Aug 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
So,

What kind of paint is everyone using for their foam Funder 'n Lightnings?

Brian C
Aug 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C
What kind of paint is everyone using for their foam Funder 'n Lightnings?
The easiest method would be to use regular Testors spray paint. You can find this stuff anywhere from you local hobby shop to most arts and crafts stores.

Some folks have mentioned Krylon H20 paints that you can get from WalMart. After testing MANY different brands on my own, I'd stick with the Testors. The small cans a bit more expensive, but seemsto hold up better and appears foam friendly. For what it's worth, I don't recommend the Krylon for Plastics. I tried it on some Elapor foam....yuck!

I'm finally experimenting with airbrushing (acrylic paints). It's fun and opens the door to a whole new level of creativity. But it can get expensive very quickly. Probably not the road to go down if you are a beginner.

Good luck,

-Lee
Aug 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
Reap the wild wind

Painting depron

I just used some cheap rattle can white acrylic gloss. It covered quite well and did'nt add too much weight
Andy

Quick Reply