Aug 04, 2008, 11:38 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
IMO this plane is not a floater...
Eh?

I took "Bubba" (3rd F&L) out for a spin last night and was doing dead-stick landings with it! She floats quite nicely for me. Granted, she doesn't land as slow as a "Slow Stick", but she ain't landing like an "Easy Star" or "Funtana" either. Watcha got goin' in the nose of that plane of yours??

...gotta finish F&L #4 before the hurricane washes me out!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2008, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Slow down for landing!
IMO this plane is not a floater . And with all that weight your carrying its not going to make it land slower.

It's got a 48in wing span w/12in cord. I just need to work on landing it a little without strong winds. Our F&L's land fine, never damaged one on landing. Now crashing, thats a different story.

Harold
Aug 04, 2008, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have any tips mounting a tower pro motor? It comes with two different mounts. A stick mount and a radial mount. When mounting a motor witha stick mount do you cut a slot out of the foam fuselage and then glue the stick to that?
Aug 04, 2008, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48
When mounting a motor witha stick mount do you cut a slot out of the foam fuselage and then glue the stick to that?
That's right. Don't forget to angle your mount a little for downthrust.
Did I just say that?
Aug 05, 2008, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
That's right. Don't forget to angle your mount a little for downthrust.
Did I just say that?
So it should be angled? Or are you just kidding. This will be my first scratch built plane and I would love to get it right the first time.
Aug 05, 2008, 07:39 AM
Diesel 48..
I don't use any down thrust on mine.
Some people use down and also right thrust.
I wouldn't use a stick mount. after you glue it in, you can't shim the motor if you need to. ( Up down right thrust with washers )So I use a fire wall mount most of the time.
Aug 05, 2008, 07:45 AM
Do you have any tips installing a firewall mount? The motor I am buying comes with both mounts.
Aug 05, 2008, 07:54 AM
Frequent Crasher Club
Dielser,

I mount the firewall mount to a thin peice of plywood then hot glue the plywood to the foam. Haven't have one come loose. Now breaking the foam behind the motor from crashing that's a different story.

Tod
Aug 05, 2008, 09:27 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
On the regular F&L design, you don't need to add any down thrust. On Diesel's kit, the wing appears to produce more lift. You can tell in the video that when he applies full throttle, the plane climbs steeply. In that situation, you need to point the motors down a bit.

You should see my Slow Stick mount. I've got something like 7-10 degrees of down thrust bent into the aluminum rod. She flies perfectly!

Diesel, if the motor comes with both mounts, I'd use the stick mount anyway. Go back and look at the photos other people have posted in this thread. It might give you some ideas on how to mount your motor.
Aug 05, 2008, 03:43 PM
We havent had to add any down thrust to ours either. My plane has a shorter stick mount making the motor closer to the nose than my grandpas is. This makes it more diffucult to balance the plane and for resones I dont know makes it fly slightly slower. My grandpas however has a longer stick mount making the motor stick out farther than mine, this allows for more room to place your battery when balancing and again for reasons I dont understand it flies slightly faster.
Aug 05, 2008, 10:04 PM
Over the weekend we finally added more throw to my plane. It changed from a graceful, easy-to-fly plane into a daredevil stunt plane! It wasnt that much harder to fly but it definently required a skill that truth betold I have lacked on several occasions... Staying away from the ground. It rolled alot better and looped effortlessly even with the 10mph winds.
Aug 06, 2008, 05:39 PM
Funder and lightning (3 min 30 sec)

This is a video of my grandpa flying last weekend.
Last edited by scott8117; Aug 06, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Aug 07, 2008, 06:52 AM
I made some progress! Installed all my electronics except for the battery, and connected all the linkages last night. Now I get to start work on the fuse top and bottom. I'll need to consider installing hatches here and there, plus adding some bulkheads. I'm afraid I'm building a F&L version with a doggone weight problem. I'll place it on the scale tonight and see.

gofish
Aug 07, 2008, 10:44 PM

motor questions

Hey i just put one of these planes together and im about to install a motor but i was wondering if the GWS 2205 outrunner was a good choice here some specs http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...x_2004_2309568
i was thinking about using a apc 9x4 but i dont know what do you guys think?
Aug 08, 2008, 12:28 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevematt18
GWS 2205...using a apc 9x4
Steve, from the chart, it looks like the KV of this motor is over 2000! That's too hot. You'd have to use a 2-cell LiPo for that and I'm not sure you'd have enough thrust.

I'd look for something around the 1000KV range. Use a 3-cell LiPo and an 8x6 or 9x5 prop.

...but, that's just me. I bet someone here will tell you to go for it!

-Lee

Quick Reply