Jul 08, 2007, 12:28 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Anybody tried CF for the booms?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2007, 01:25 PM
I love me some Blucore!
i did CF for the booms and they worked out GREAT!!!!

NFS
Jul 08, 2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah me too, 1st stuff i tried was not so good, that was just square section hollow rod, I found that wall had a habit of collapsing or splitting along their length, the second stuff I tries is also square section but this has a circular hollow core and it seems much stronger and even more rigid
Jul 08, 2007, 03:29 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
What dia.... 6mm ?
Jul 08, 2007, 04:16 PM
Time for another motto!
Sorry, but what are the expected forces on the booms that require carbon, what's wrong with spruce or pine? has anybody broken their booms yet or is that carbon mania the same illness those glider boys suffer from?
Jul 08, 2007, 04:54 PM
Well I used it so that there would be as little extra weight aft of the main wing as possible, the forces on the rear wing as you rightly point out JelleB are fairly negligible but any weight aft of the CoG at the spar has to be compensated for in front and I wanted to keep the battery as far from the prop as I could rather than use it to adjust my CoG
Jul 08, 2007, 06:03 PM
well I finally finished my F/L saturday night about 12:30 am

got a chance to try it out this afternoon, and it flew well

only thing I noticed was that I had to give it right much up elevator for level flight

balanced at the spar, though my battery is farther back that what I have noticed in most of the pics in the thread

any ideas that might correct, or just fly as is

have not tried many different manuvers, just glad to see a foamie i built actually fly

bert-nc
Jul 08, 2007, 09:37 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert-nc
...I had to give it right much up elevator for level flight...balanced at the spar, though my battery is farther back that what I have noticed in most of the pics in the thread -bert-nc
Is your wing exactly the same dimension as mine (FFF pic from above)? How far back is your spar from the leading edge? What battery are you using?

The few things that come to mind are:
- Your dimension may be off a little and you need to shift the weight back some more.
- The stab may not be level with the wing.
- Your elevator is not level with the stab.
- Your motor mount has down thrust.

I can tell you that my plane floats coming down with the throttle off. I'm amazed that a flat-wing airfoil can fly so smoothly. Try shifting some weight towards the rear, fly her up high, kill the throttle, and see how she comes down. If she still wants to nose down you may need to add weight to the tail.
Jul 08, 2007, 09:53 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelleB
Sorry, but what are the expected forces on the booms that require carbon, what's wrong with spruce or pine? has anybody broken their booms yet or is that carbon mania the same illness those glider boys suffer from?
I think carbon booms are overkill. I'm using a cheap c/f arrow shaft for the wing and a small piece of flat c/f in the tail. The spruce rods are very strong and have not been a concern. To me, they provide ample surface area for glueing, keep the wing and stab level, and are one less possible interference problem with an AR6100 receiver.

Both of my planes are still flying and have only belly rashes to show for. As an experienced pilot, I'm pretty capable of landing them safely without serious damage. A beginner would most likely cause damage to the wing and tail piece corners during a rough landing before any of the spruce booms were to break.....just my 2 cents.

Save your money. Use spruce for the booms.
Jul 09, 2007, 11:32 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Ok I will buy some spruce.....LOL I wouldn't anybody to think I owned anything Hi Tec!
Jul 09, 2007, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Is your wing exactly the same dimension as mine (FFF pic from above)? How far back is your spar from the leading edge? What battery are you using?

The few things that come to mind are:
- Your dimension may be off a little and you need to shift the weight back some more.
- The stab may not be level with the wing.
- Your elevator is not level with the stab.
- Your motor mount has down thrust.

I can tell you that my plane floats coming down with the throttle off. I'm amazed that a flat-wing airfoil can fly so smoothly. Try shifting some weight towards the rear, fly her up high, kill the throttle, and see how she comes down. If she still wants to nose down you may need to add weight to the tail.
if I had to make a guess, it would be that the dimensions may be a little off, and I need to move the battery back some more.

tried to keep all surfaces true and square

got home late, had a doctor's appt, flew the plane for a very limited time, wind was stronger than I had first thought

will try your idea next time wind dies down

for any one else building this plane, the spruce spars have held up for me so far, of course i am not "yanking and cranking" this plane real hard yet

bert-nc

already thinking about building another, I have a axi 221234 that needs a home
Jul 09, 2007, 09:07 PM
Any reason why I should not use Aluminum tube for booms? I have an old slow stick fusealage I could use. It is 3\8" by 3\8".
Jul 09, 2007, 09:41 PM
bert-nc, I read your posts above, woundering if you have a lot of motor down thrust? What does it do on a power off glide after you trim for level?
Jul 10, 2007, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_Josh
Any reason why I should not use Aluminum tube for booms? I have an old slow stick fusealage I could use. It is 3\8" by 3\8".
I'd try it. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Jul 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000
I'd try it. Don't be afraid to experiment.
What he said.

Let me preface by saying that every F&L I've seen someone else build (and upload a photo) has never built it exactly like mine. You can certainly use anything in your stock pile to build this kit.

On the other hand, the way my plane flies is based on the components and dimensions I'm using. The plane flies great, weighs very little, and seriously doesn't require stronger pieces/construction. It's a foamy...if you crash it at high speed, it will probably "Rest In Pieces". This is a quick, cheap build (like a Slow Stick). The only real investment is the motor, ESC, receiver and servos.

My two concerns with the aluminum: 1) weight 2) possible antenna interference.

As for everyone else out there...please share your photos! Thanks.

Quick Reply