Funder & Lightning - Page 57 - RC Groups
May 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
RC Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Wanted to ask where you are currently buying your LiPo batteries. I used to order a ton from HobbyPartz.com over the years but over the past year I noticed their stock is quite dismal. I just placed a small order with Hobby King but I'm curious if there is another vendor out there (preferably IN the US) that is currently the hot item.

Let me know.
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2013, 08:10 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
I just started ordering from HeadsUpRC. $2 shipping and fast. I live just down the road but when I order on Sunday they are in my mailbox on Wednesday. Their prices are competitive and service is great.

Jim
May 29, 2013, 08:32 PM
I can crash anything
+1 headsuprc. Fast shipping with good prices.
May 29, 2013, 08:32 PM
RC Enthusiast
On a different note: I joined an RC club out near my new home. NWRCC (Northwest RC Club) is located in Katy, Texas. I know the president from my annual trek to B.E.S.T. It is a very nice field with a friendly bunch of pilots. Took the Honey Bunny F&L out for some air over the past weekend and got to show it off. One pilot enjoyed it and might build one soon.

My son videotaped one of the flights. It's a bit shaky, but he's only 8 and it was the first time he had ever held the camera. For what it's worth, I think he did a pretty good job trying to follow the plane screaming all over the place.

Funder & Lightning - "Honey Bunny" NWRCC (2 min 48 sec)

Cheers all.

-Lee
May 30, 2013, 10:09 AM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Hey guys,

Wanted to ask where you are currently buying your LiPo batteries. I used to order a ton from HobbyPartz.com over the years but over the past year I noticed their stock is quite dismal. I just placed a small order with Hobby King but I'm curious if there is another vendor out there (preferably IN the US) that is currently the hot item.

Let me know.
Another plug for headsuprc.
May 30, 2013, 10:58 AM
RC Enthusiast
Just visited their website. Any of you guys using their "EZ Flite Pro Lipo"? The two I looked at were both out of stock. They are listed as 50C packs. Sounds interesting. Any idea if these have been out of stock for long?
May 30, 2013, 12:13 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Just visited their website. Any of you guys using their "EZ Flite Pro Lipo"? The two I looked at were both out of stock. They are listed as 50C packs. Sounds interesting. Any idea if these have been out of stock for long?
I have a 2200mah, 50c, 3s EZ Flite Pro I got from them recently that I haven't used yet. Another flyer in my club has one that he's quite happy with.

I have several other EZ Flite batts that I prefer to the Turnigy NanoTech's I've tried. They seem to hold VPC differential low for longer than the Turnigy's.

Generally speaking, headsuprc restocking is usually a short turnaround. Get on their mailing list and you'll be notified when items are restocked.
May 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
I've been using the DBY and EZ Flite Pro series although not the 50c, the 30 and 35c series. No problems. Although I have never had to contact them, I do know some folks who have via email or phone and they were helpful to find when the next stock would be in.

Their motors,ECs, and receivers are good also. And I can't buy props (when you include gas) for as cheap as he has them.

Jim
May 30, 2013, 02:38 PM
RC Enthusiast
Good to know fellas. Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a shot.

Are any of you pushing the charge rate on these past 2C?
May 30, 2013, 06:35 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Nope - most of my recharge are balanced at 1c. I don't see the need to push the charge rate, ruined a couple of nano tech batteries like that. And those nano techs, IMO all hype, no traction.

Jim
May 30, 2013, 07:54 PM
I get batteries from http://www.valuehobby.com/ out of Addison, Illnios. Shipping is $3.99. Three four day delivery.
Motors and ESC I get from headsuuprc.
May 31, 2013, 06:47 AM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Good to know fellas. Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a shot.

Are any of you pushing the charge rate on these past 2C?
I've never recharged any Lipo's above 1C and always balance.
May 31, 2013, 07:41 AM
RC Enthusiast
I've been charging most of my batteries at a 2C rate. No problems to report. Seems like most of the pilots I talked to during my last event were charging between 2C and 5C.
May 31, 2013, 01:34 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
On my big charger I use 2C for my 3S batteries, and I balance them all the time. No problem so far.

I have several inexpensive "balance plug" chargers that I use for 2S and 3S batteries. They have a low charge rate (600-800 mAh) so it's slow going, but I don't really care. I just plug a couple of batteries near me while I'm in the workshop and by the weekend everything's topped-off.
May 31, 2013, 01:48 PM
No Hangar Queens!
I usually only do more than 1C charge rate if I am at the field. Every five charges I do a discharge cycle. I have one of the cheap Zippy 25C 2200 mAh batteries that I have over 100 flights on from last year to this and its still holding well. I have also started "conditioning" my newer batteries to see how they hold up. Just at the start I charge at 1C rate as it comes from the factory. I discharge at .5A then charge at 1/2 C. Then discharge at .1A and charge at 1/4C. Then I fly it and charge as I normally do. I've read that it helps keep the "gusto" over the life of the pack but as I jsut started this season it is yet to be determined if its noticeable or not.
May 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
RC Enthusiast
Found this on YouTube. Father & Son team built some F&Ls. Any of you here one of these fellas?

Scratchbuilt P-38 Formation Flying (3 min 38 sec)
Jun 01, 2013, 11:16 AM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman
I usually only do more than 1C charge rate if I am at the field. Every five charges I do a discharge cycle. I have one of the cheap Zippy 25C 2200 mAh batteries that I have over 100 flights on from last year to this and its still holding well. I have also started "conditioning" my newer batteries to see how they hold up. Just at the start I charge at 1C rate as it comes from the factory. I discharge at .5A then charge at 1/2 C. Then discharge at .1A and charge at 1/4C. Then I fly it and charge as I normally do. I've read that it helps keep the "gusto" over the life of the pack but as I jsut started this season it is yet to be determined if its noticeable or not.
I got a Zippy 1000mah, 3S to try the brand that's in its 3rd season. It performs well and is holding up nicely. Should I have cause to order from HobbyKing again, I might get some more of them. Much better than the NanoTech IMHO.
Jun 01, 2013, 11:23 AM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
I've built two of these so far.... and flew them to death...I like the servos up top on the wings for protection in vid... I think it's time a for a third..maybe with some mods...
Jun 02, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

Just a little update on my Funder, after the first crash I managed to re build and have a couple of good flights, but the motor was well under sized. So after waiting a new 2209/28 1050Kv motor I finally got it fitted this week and took it out today.

Had a great flight as you'll see in the video and played flicked between Low and Hi rates, which was great with rolls... How ever after getting a little too confident with inverted flight and all I managed to nail it into the ground in pretty spectacular style... Not sad though, my and my son had a good laugh about it and the 5minute flight before the end was brilliant and the new motor really was doing well.... So now to get work out the way this week and get the cutting board out next week ready to build a new one, these things are too much fun! This time though I'll be going with the original design, one that's not had the mad professor around it!!

Thank you Lee again for this brilliant plane!

The End of my Funder!! (2 min 24 sec)
Jun 02, 2013, 07:47 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Good to see the design still going strong! I have my third completed (pretty much as per the original design) and fourth in progress. Have modified a few things here and there for balance and performance....other than that you could call it "stock", with a few mods. LOL

#1 Was destroyed in a combat demo at one of our fun flys.
#2 Had a wing damaged last year in combat, and was repaired. Still using it as primary fighter.
#3 Completed and is a "spare" just in case #2 has an unfortunate mishap.
#4 Almost completed - daughter's boyfriend is getting into hobby and liked the design.
#5 Well....never hurts to have another spare fighter - will start later this year.

After #3, I think I have the manufacturing process down pat for how I like it. We are having a blast with these in our club doing combat. One of our members made up templates so we can pump out the foam parts quickly and accurately for anyone in the club. So never ending supply so long as we have the foam.
Jun 02, 2013, 07:48 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Too windy to fly today so I spent a bit of time on the warbird... It's almost ready to go, I just need to hook up the servos and finish the decoration. Currently standing at 13oz with motor; AUW should be around 19oz or so.
Jun 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGFX
Hi all,

Just a little update on my Funder, after the first crash I managed to re build and have a couple of good flights, but the motor was well under sized. So after waiting a new 2209/28 1050Kv motor I finally got it fitted this week and took it out today.

Had a great flight as you'll see in the video and played flicked between Low and Hi rates, which was great with rolls... How ever after getting a little too confident with inverted flight and all I managed to nail it into the ground in pretty spectacular style... Not sad though, my and my son had a good laugh about it and the 5minute flight before the end was brilliant and the new motor really was doing well.... So now to get work out the way this week and get the cutting board out next week ready to build a new one, these things are too much fun! This time though I'll be going with the original design, one that's not had the mad professor around it!!

http://youtu.be/QroT7nT-nGY
Per the plan Funder is a heckuva an airplane, you'll love it.

Video showed a stylish end indeed. I got a kick out of how the little one approached the remains, as if he weren't quite sure it might not jump up off the ground and get him.

I've got a grandson about that size that's just crazy about my rc planes. Makes it more fun.
Jun 11, 2013, 11:18 AM

The V2 begins. Build Log

Well after wiping out my first version of this plane, I've finally had some time to start on version 2. This time though I'm going to try and keep to the original design, though I'm thinking of changing the KFm1 wing to a KFm2. The KFm3 wing which I had on the first version created a lot of lift and subsequently needed a lot of down thrust on the motor.

I've cut about all the parts this afternoon and left my options open for a KFM1 or 2 airfoil, but would like some opinions as to which people prefer?

So here are a couple of photos which I hope I'll keep up just to show people how simple these planes are to build. The only other alteration I've made it to add a piece of carbon rod to the tail, simply as I fly over rocky ground and I broke the original one several time. I will keep you all up to date on the build but I'm busy with work at the moment so please be patient.

Jun 11, 2013, 02:16 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Well after wiping out my first version of this plane, I've finally had some time to start on version 2. This time though I'm going to try and keep to the original design, though I'm thinking of changing the KFm1 wing to a KFm2. The KFm3 wing which I had on the first version created a lot of lift and subsequently needed a lot of down thrust on the motor.

I've cut about all the parts this afternoon and left my options open for a KFM1 or 2 airfoil, but would like some opinions as to which people prefer?

So here are a couple of photos which I hope I'll keep up just to show people how simple these planes are to build. The only other alteration I've made it to add a piece of carbon rod to the tail, simply as I fly over rocky ground and I broke the original one several time. I will keep you all up to date on the build but I'm busy with work at the moment so please be patient.

Per the plan is KF1. That's what I built and it worked very well, no compensating trim required.
Jun 28, 2013, 08:18 PM
Team PNW
Quote:
Found this on YouTube. Father & Son team built some F&Ls. Any of you here one of these fellas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ6g5CXekg4
Im the kid in the video and i do say this is one of the best, if not the best scratchbuilt i have ever built and flown!
-ProFlyerProductions (AKA Nathan)
Jun 28, 2013, 10:15 PM
glider pilot in training
Quote:
Hi all,

http://youtu.be/QroT7nT-nGY
thats why i usually cut them out 4 at a time. that way i have spares to rebuild with or to give away to friends.
Jul 16, 2013, 02:22 PM
RC Enthusiast

Fred's F&L

Howdy everyone.

Fred Campbell stopped by my new workshop today to show off his Funder & Lightning. It is very nice. Well built and looks great. I like his motor mount design which I intend to duplicate in my next build. He had a friend take it out on its first maiden over the weekend and said it flew fine. Hopefully I'll get a toss out of it soon!

Take a look.
Jul 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
RC Enthusiast

Time to build an F&L for 2013

It has been 2 years since I built an F&L for myself. Time to get cracking on a new one now that my workshop is build-ready.

I took Fred's template and overlaid Honey Bunny's template over it and worked them together until I came up with this new version. Too soon to call it Version 3 of the Funder & Lightning...but if it goes well, I may try to update the plans and incorporate the changes. This new template lengthens the nose and adds a nice cover for the motor. What do you think?

Time to cut some foam. Stay tuned.

-Lee
Jul 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Basically what I did on my last one. The longer nose helped out balance issues where I had to secure the battery in front of the wing. Plus it looks a bit better - not as stubby.

Jim
Jul 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
RC Enthusiast
When building any plane, I highly recommend the following tips:

- "When in doubt, change it out." On any new construction, I always start off with a fresh #11 XACTO blade. If the blade is not cutting smoothly, change it out right away. I go through lots of blades but it has saved me several hours of yelling at myself for ripping up nice, clean foam sheets.

- USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB!! I hear my Dad's voice echo these words all the time and I remind my boys of the same thing. If you need to cut/saw/glue something and don't have the right tool to accomplish it stop and go get it.

- Cutting boards/pads. They save your knife blade and make cutting much easier. Hobby Lobby has them. They aren't cheap but last a long time.

- Metal rulers rock. I have a ton of them and use them all for different applications. You should have at least 3: small 6", large 3' x 2", and a right angle.

- Use lots of light. I cut everything by hand and need to see around my hand without casting a big shadow from one light source. In my garage, I have at least 6 lights from different angles.

- Take your time. Walk away if you're making mistakes. Limit yourself a time to work. For me, 2 hours flies by fast and that's about when I feel too comfortable and make dumb mistakes. I'll take a break, walk around, and then come back. This isn't a contest and you will be rewarded with a nice flying model.

- Make the pieces fit properly. The plane needs to be built straight. If it doesn't look right, fix it or it won't fly right.

(See comments under image description)
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jul 20, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Jul 17, 2013, 08:28 PM
ncpx | mini quad | Versa wing
Hi,
I'm just in the process in building mine. Found some depron, bought some spruce and downloaded the plans. Waiting for some electronics from HK.
Love the design and soon as I saw it I knew I had to build one. Now I'm just trying to build up some courage to start cutting I'm new to flying planes but learning and having fun flying my Champ and um P-51D. Looking forward in your new build.
Thanks,
Mike
Jul 18, 2013, 05:49 PM
RC Enthusiast
This is the first time I have assembled a Funder & Lightning using a one-piece fuselage. Using two-pieces (top/bottom) makes it easier to align the wing, stab, and tail booms before gluing. With the fuselage attached, you need a rig to allow the fuselage to sit between two flat surfaces so the wing & tail are still level. I own a handy Workmate that would do the trick except the wood surfaces are pretty warped. I'm taking a break for the rest of the day until I can come up with something better.

Till then, a few pics from earlier today.
Jul 18, 2013, 07:04 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
This is the first time I have assembled a Funder & Lightning using a one-piece fuselage. Using two-pieces (top/bottom) makes it easier to align the wing, stab, and tail booms before gluing. With the fuselage attached, you need a rig to allow the fuselage to sit between two flat surfaces so the wing & tail are still level. I own a handy Workmate that would do the trick except the wood surfaces are pretty warped. I'm taking a break for the rest of the day until I can come up with something better.

Till then, a few pics from earlier today.
Most excellent tutorial. My much missed F&L would probably still be flying if it would've had a front end like this one.

Your wormanship is very good. Watching for the finished product's floght report.

Another F&L IS in my future, and a strengthened front/motor mount of some sort would have been incorprorated. You may have my answer, here.
Jul 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
RC Enthusiast
Completed installation of the elevator servo and control arm.

SERVOS

This plane can be flown with 9 gram servos all around. I've used Hitec HS-55's for years and only had one arm/gear strip on me. I was planning to install a Hitec HS-55 in the tail but had three HS-65HB's lying around and decided to use them instead.

Hitec HS-65HB's (11 grams) are great servos. Fast & lots of torque for a mini servo...but NOT cheap ($18-$20 each). If you are on a budget, stick with your favorite 9 gram servo. But, if you want a faster responding F&L, give the 65's a try.

York Electronics Servo Testor: http://www.york-electronics.com/
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jul 20, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Jul 21, 2013, 04:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
Nice clear build photo's Lee.
Where did you buy the adjustable pushrod connector's as they look beefier than the GWS one's I've used before?
Andy
Are they Great Plane's item's?
Last edited by headlessagain; Jul 21, 2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Found item
Jul 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
RC Enthusiast
Sorry for the break in construction. My painter was supposed to come over and prep the cabinets yesterday but canceled on me. I had to remove everything on and around the new construction two days ago and the F&L was stored away. If time permits, I'll try to get the aileron servos mounted tonight.

Servo wiring:

The Hitec HS-65HB servo only has a 6" wire lead. Servos like the HXT-900 are much longer. 6" is enough wire length for the elevator servo and barely enough for the aileron servo on the receiver side. It is NOT enough for the opposite aileron servo and must be extended. Adding a 3" extension will work but it looks ugly.

For this build, I'll be cutting the wires on my servo soldering a new connection to fit. I would only recommend this step if you are skilled at soldering. It cleans up the wire mess and looks much better.
Jul 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
Very nice V3 Lee. I've still not had time to complete my rebuild. Wings and stabs all done, just the cockpit to attach, but after seeing that I may have a re-think... Looking forward to seeing her finished and in the air.
Aug 05, 2013, 08:25 PM
RC Enthusiast
Now how did this thing get here??? Hmmmm....I bet it wants to go for a flight tomorrow!
Aug 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
RC Enthusiast
Hmmm....bet I know where this guy got some ideas!

e-X 01 "Stabilis" Compilation (1 min 46 sec)
Aug 17, 2013, 11:12 PM
RC Enthusiast
Austin filmed my 48" Funder & Lightning today. I put this little video together of his best footage. Gotta love the "Planes" music.

Enjoy.

Funder & Lightning - 48" model. NWRC 2013 (1 min 51 sec)
Last edited by YarSmythe; Aug 18, 2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Better video quality.
Aug 18, 2013, 08:05 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Nice video - I wonder just how many RC'ers have gone to see "Planes" with no kids in tow. Count me - opening weekend!

Jim
Aug 18, 2013, 08:16 AM
RC Enthusiast
Jim,

My son's birthday was August 9th! We took a whole bunch of kids to the theater to see it...and then went again the next day!
Aug 18, 2013, 08:50 AM
RC Enthusiast
Maybe I'm just late to the game, but I just figured out how to see ALL the photos in the thread in one gallery. Cool!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...llery&t=705899
Sep 01, 2013, 09:06 PM
Building one using the Flite Test Swap Pod
http://assets.flitetest.com/article_...1360986132.pdf
Sep 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf
Building one using the Flite Test Swap Pod
http://assets.flitetest.com/article_...1360986132.pdf
Should work.
Sep 11, 2013, 07:04 PM
Has anyone uses a non KFM wing?
Sep 14, 2013, 07:09 PM
This is my second F&L made with 6mm depron, grayson 2212-10 motor, wallmart 2.50 arrows, and full fuse design.
It's a little tail heavy but after the landing gear was installed it balanced out. ready to fly weight is righ at 16oz.
Name: dad and tootie 516.jpg
Views: 549
Size: 316.4 KB
Description: Name: dad and tootie 517.jpg
Views: 524
Size: 227.8 KB
Description:
Sep 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Breakemparts
This is my second F&L made with 6mm depron, grayson 2212-10 motor, wallmart 2.50 arrows, and full fuse design.
It's a little tail heavy but after the landing gear was installed it balanced out. ready to fly weight is righ at 16oz.
Attachment 6103426 Attachment 6103432
Beautiful looking F&L, nice work.
Sep 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Breakemparts
This is my second F&L...
Couple of things:

- Very nice F&L. How does it fly?

- WHERE is this field? Is that Astroturf or real grass? Holy smokes...that looks like an incredible runway. Gotta see more pics of this place you fly.

- Upload some video!

-Lee
Sep 14, 2013, 10:47 PM
RC Enthusiast
I'm sorry I dropped the ball on my F&L build. Got busy and had to do some repairs on the workshop cabinets and install a new light. Looks like I'm back in business so I'll have that plane finished this week.

My next few weeks are quite busy. Thursday is the "B-17 Fly-In" over at Bomber Field in Monaville, Texas. This is the start of the event where all the old, retirees show up with their awesome planes. I'm going out to take photos and video...maybe get a flight in with my Pawnee.

After that, it's "BEST!!!". October 4th - 6th in New Waverly, Texas. Can't believe this will be my 10th year attending this event. The years have flown by. If you are within 100 miles of this town, I highly recommend you make the trip. LOTS of fun, awesome planes, good food, and a great RC club.

Cheers, -Lee
Sep 16, 2013, 06:11 PM
RC Enthusiast

Back to work

Did a little more work on the F&L today.
  • Created cardboard templates of the booms. These are direct copies of the ones I made for "Honey Bunny". A simple addition to the original plane. Doesn't seem to change the performance of the aircraft...just the appearance.
  • Prepped motor mount for attachment to the fuselage. I'll use 5 minute epoxy. Notice the holes in the fuselage and scratch marks on the motor mount to improve the adhesive surface.
  • Added a small cut out on the motor mount to allow the motor wires to push back into the fuselage.
  • Soldered a 3" extension to one of the aileron servos. This cleans up the wire mess around the receiver.

More to come...
Sep 17, 2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrcflier
Beautiful looking F&L, nice work.
Thank you
Sep 17, 2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Couple of things:

- Very nice F&L. How does it fly?

- WHERE is this field? Is that Astroturf or real grass? Holy smokes...that looks like an incredible runway. Gotta see more pics of this place you fly.

- Upload some video!

-Lee
First of all thank you for the plans. That flies really good it's it's really smooth and really good in the wind. The park that I fly at is actually an Astroturf park that's called David a Lorenz regional park in Littleton Colorado.
Sep 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
RC Enthusiast
Glued on the motor mount today. Not sure if I'll install additional supports on the sides. Sucker seems pretty secure to me.
Sep 17, 2013, 09:52 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Using epoxy it should be plenty strong.
Sep 19, 2013, 01:07 PM

Question about Paint

This might be a stupid question I looked throught about all the other posts and didnt see anything about what type of paints are being used on the F&L thanks

I don't want to melt the foam lol
Sep 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKHOURS
This might be a stupid question I looked throught about all the other posts and didnt see anything about what type of paints are being used...
Not a stupid question at all. I've melted a few foam pieces in my time too!

On Midwest CF88 foam, I really like Testors Enamel. Smooth finish, one-coat will work, and seems to adhere to everything. The only drawback is the cost. The little cans are not cheap so I highly recommend you shop around before you buy them. Hobby Lobby (crafts) offers a monthly 40% coupon (email or web app).

You can use acrylics (airbrush or by hand) but you should apply a sealer afterward.

One fella says he used regular household latex paint (thinned). Never tried it myself but sounds good to me. Just be careful of the weight.

Hope this helps. Search this thread or the forum for "foam paint".
Sep 19, 2013, 07:48 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
I use craft paints available at Michael's, WalMart, etc. lots of colors and you can shade them quite a lot. The can be brushed on or airbrushed. And some are available in gloss or you can cover with polyurethane for any sheen you want.

Jim
Sep 19, 2013, 11:10 PM
You want to be careful with brushed on craft paints, it can get heavy if too much is used. I built a nice FL but ended up with too much paint in trying to get a good looking bird, it was heavy and flew like S**t.
Sep 26, 2013, 05:13 PM
Goats & Glocks Eat Anything

F&L Plans

I still have available the plans for the Funder & Lightning printed on single sheets using a plotter we have at work. I can print the original design and also a 48" wingspan version. I just need to cover the cost and time of printing these, but $5 to your door for one folded, or $8 for 35" and 48" in a tube should cover it. Any additional at $2 each. Contiguous US states only.

Lee who created the F&L is happy for this to go ahead.

PM me if your interested with your addy, and how many, and what wingspan you want. Paypal preferred.

Cheers
Sep 27, 2013, 01:20 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Looking very nice! My enlarged full-fuse version has survived the summer season very well. Unfortunately the screwed together arrow shaft booms have loosened at the screw points. This makes the tail sag giving a tremendous amount of pitching down. I have a solution but have yet to do it. I should have done JB Weld on this joint in retrospect. Really did not think of it at the time. I've gotten about 50 or so flights on it with only one incident. The battery hatch came off in a VERY high altitude, high-speed dive. It was getting quite dark too so it took me around 10 minutes to find it. I get lots of interest with it as well.
Sep 27, 2013, 02:24 PM
Captain Coolite
Subscribed
Oct 03, 2013, 07:16 PM
RC Enthusiast

Meet the latest Funder & Lightning - "John Deere"

Still wet with paint but here she is! Got some clean-up work to do but it'll be ready for tomorrow's RC event.

I have fond memories of riding a John Deere mower on a farm when I was young. Sadly, I don't even own anything made by John Deere. Someday, that may change.

This took waaaaaay too long to build and I've been rushing the final stages. Hopefully it'll clean up well and fly even better. I wish I knew how to order/cut/install vinyl decals. I ended up using high-gloss photo paper for the wing decal because the 'clear' ones I made were too transparent. Does it look bad?

Currently, the CG is right on the spar. I like the CG a tiny bit more aft but we'll give this a try.

Specs:
  • (3) Hitec HS-65HB servos
  • Phoenix 35 ESC
  • Spektrum AR6115e receiver
  • BP 2212-10 (1400kv) w/GWS 8x6HD prop
  • 3S - 1300mAh LiPo

-Lee
Oct 03, 2013, 09:02 PM
Terry Dunn
Good job Lee!
Oct 04, 2013, 01:11 AM
Captain Coolite
Quote:
Still wet with paint but here she is! Got some clean-up work to do but it'll be ready for tomorrow's RC event.

I have fond memories of riding a John Deere mower on a farm when I was young. Sadly, I don't even own anything made by John Deere. Someday, that may change.

This took waaaaaay too long to build and I've been rushing the final stages. Hopefully it'll clean up well and fly even better. I wish I knew how to order/cut/install vinyl decals. I ended up using high-gloss photo paper for the wing decal because the 'clear' ones I made were too transparent. Does it look bad?

Currently, the CG is right on the spar. I like the CG a tiny bit more aft but we'll give this a try.

Specs:
  • (3) Hitec HS-65HB servos
  • Phoenix 35 ESC
  • Spektrum AR6115e receiver
  • BP 2212-10 (1400kv) w/GWS 8x6HD prop
  • 3S - 1300mAh LiPo

-Lee
Lee,
http://callie-graphics.com/

She does amazing, low cost work. Check out her photos.

Rob
Oct 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
This is kid stuff.
Primo craftsmanship, very good equipment. Should fly like a champion.

I've got to rain on your parade a little bit, though as I prefer the look of the original wing better.

Was cropping the outboard leading edge just cosmetic or was there an aerodynamic and/or structural consideration?
Oct 13, 2013, 07:40 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Have any of you seen this many Funder's at once? Just after a combat event on the weekend. Surprisingly many survivors with a few scratches and scuffs as well as signs of emergency field repairs to keep them in the action. Was a great day!
Oct 13, 2013, 08:23 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Have any of you seen this many Funder's at once? Just after a combat event on the weekend. Surprisingly many survivors with a few scratches and scuffs as well as signs of emergency field repairs to keep them in the action. Was a great day!
What a beautiful sight! Made me smile and my sons thought it was 'AWESOME'. Must have video next time!

Thanks so much for sharing. Made my day.
Oct 14, 2013, 02:24 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Quote:
What a beautiful sight! Made me smile and my sons thought it was 'AWESOME'. Must have video next time!

Thanks so much for sharing. Made my day.
Hi Lee,

One of our members made a video that I have posted. Thanks for a great design! Hope you enjoy the clip.

Marko

North Simcoe Flyers club combat contest 2013 (6 min 4 sec)
Oct 14, 2013, 11:04 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Hi Lee, One of our members made a video that I have posted. Thanks for a great design! Hope you enjoy the clip. Marko
Marko,

That was nice! I hope the next time you fellas get together you could ask someone with an HD camcorder to come out and document this. Would you ask some of the pilots if they could share/post photos of their planes in this thread?

Are these planes modified differently from the plans? Are you all buying parts (motors, esc, servos, etc.) in bulk? Is ten (10) the largest group you've had at one time?

If I wasn't so far away (Texas), I'd be up in the air with you guys in a heartbeat! Not sure I can get my club to do this but I'll be bringing it up at the next meeting for sure!!

Again, thanks for sharing this. You made this pilot very happy.

-Lee