Jul 06, 2008, 12:46 AM
AMA 42867
LtDan, those Invasion Stripes are great! Nice work!
Little known fact; P-38 Lightnings were the only aircraft allowed to do CAS and top cover work during the D-Day invasion. The reason was that their distinctive planform kept them from being mistaken for German aircraft by understandably trigger happy shipboard AA gunners.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2008, 03:28 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Lt Dan

I had the same setup on my first F&L. Was insanity at it's best. I actually snapped one of the spruce booms doing a snap roll. The results were predictable. Later versions opted for fiber glass arrow shafts for the spar and booms.

Jim
Jul 06, 2008, 05:27 AM
is this motor alright http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...047_Prop_Combo
Jul 06, 2008, 07:19 AM
Hi,

I built my F&L along the plans, but don't get anything that I could call a good
glide. It flies really good as far as I can judge this, but if I throttle down it really
drops fast and I find it hard to judge the "impact" position.

Does anyone have the same experience, or any idea how I could improve this?
Jul 06, 2008, 07:47 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Bicky - that will work fine. My current F&L has the 2409-12 with an APC 8*4 on it and it is quite fast.

Klattoo - that is a function of the flat wing. You have to come in under power. Check your CG, slight nose heavy will also deminish the glide.

Jim
Jul 06, 2008, 09:41 AM
I agree,, you have to fly it down and then cut the power..
Mine is not the stock setup , so I can only speak for mine.
It's NOT a floater !
But mine is FAST!
Jul 06, 2008, 11:36 AM
Look out! Too late....
My son built me a Funder for aileron training and I'm having a blast with it. Except for the vertical landing I made which required some hot glue and a new motor and mount, it's a very smooth flyer. My airfoil is an exaggerated F-K where in the distance from the bottom of the wing to the bottom of the F-K is about one half of an inch. I can bring it in for a landing with no power and practically stop it in the air a foot above the ground with a little up elevator. It just floats.
Jul 06, 2008, 12:01 PM
I agree with the above post, mine'll come in with no power and just flop down without calling it a controlled crash. It's a great flyer when the wind is up some too.

Paul
Jul 06, 2008, 01:31 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan
Hey everybody remember this one??
Have we seen the video of this plane yet?? I, for one, would love to see it in flight! Maybe even some close up panning of your work.

Looks great!

-Lee
Jul 06, 2008, 01:35 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatoo
...don't get anything that I could call a good
glide. Does anyone have the same experience, or any idea how I could improve this?
Klatoo,

Can you possibly 'show' us what you are experiencing in a video clip? We might be able to determine if you have a CG issue or a problem with incidence. If you watch my videos, all of my planes land at less than half throttle. I'm not challenging anyone else's flying ability...but I find that my F&L's glide in quite nicely and without fear of ripping out the bottom fuselage.

Anway, get a quick clip made and maybe we can help you out.

Cheers,

-Lee
Jul 06, 2008, 01:37 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
But mine is FAST!
Have we seen a video of your speedy beast?? I'd like to see what my kits are up against.
Jul 06, 2008, 02:17 PM
Lee,

sorry got only a lousy Internet link (similar to dial up), so I can only seldom watch
or upload videos unless I'm veeeeery patient. - and it's expensive too.

We got here in Germany still some remote areas that don't have fast internet access,
or, that have people not willing to pay the extra money for a satellite link.

Anyway, listening to what you and DanT say, I guess I have to bring her in faster.
I need to fly more often to get a better pilot. CG is right at the edge of the KF, so
this should not be an issue as far as I can see.
Jul 06, 2008, 02:28 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
It is true ,this was one of my first planes (and scratchbuilds).It took me a while to get used to that "big " prop swinging as your coming in.but a little blip at the end always flattened me out.This was also hard to get used to .
All this fnl talk makes me want one,I think I could really put a pylon race look to a smaller ws version say a speed 400 version?
6x4 prop ?
What do ya think Lt.dan?
Jul 07, 2008, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Have we seen a video of your speedy beast?? I'd like to see what my kits are up against.
No video camera that's why you see pictures of mine . One day a guy just walked up with this new to him camera and asked if he could practices taking speed shots. I was lucky he sent me some pictures in a e-mail. As for the speed,, we have over 90 + members in are club here, and one of them is a Cop ! Most of the old timers , are gas only types . I love kicking there a$$
But you can also use the rpm's and prop numbers and get a good idea of how fast your plane will be not counting drag. Prop pitch, 7.5 *7900 rpm's = 59250" / by 12 =4937.5' * by 60 minutes =296250' / by 5,280' =56 or so mph.
Don't get me wrong,, there are faster planes in are club!
But most can't seem to see how I can get all that speed and flight time ( about 11 minutes or so ) with my setup.
I love good batteries! We have a lot of guys that think the cheap batteries are JUST as good. Oh well,, I also run premium gas in my car!
Last edited by DanT; Jul 07, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Jul 09, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hi guys: I am fairly new to flying so I am a build fly for 3 or 4 minutes and rebuild guy right now. I just flew my funder and managed to go through 2 batteries of flight time with no rebuild tonight. Floats just like promised. The question I have is with the control of the plane. This may be a stupid question but I am new!! While practicing my circles and fig 8's I have to add a little up elevator on the turns. I am thinking that this is normal and will try to do a mix on my tranmitter to get it to do so automatically. My real puzzle is that when I do a turn and move the stick back to neutral the plane maintains the turn unless I correct by moving the stick to a turn in the opposite direction. Is this normal or should it return to level flight by itself? The CG is dead on and I can take my hands off the sticks and it will maintain perfect flight so it is trimmed properly as well.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply