Jul 01, 2008, 09:29 PM

Funder N Lighting CG Question

Thanks for the response Lee. I put 3/4 oz.of lead in the nose the plane and got it balanced OK. Looking forward to its' first flight in a couple of days. Thanks for the F & L plans.
Bruce
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2008, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar702
I just completed a F n L and the total weight including bat. is 9oz. I can't get the cog at 2 1/2in. It is tail heavy even with the battery as far forward as I can put it. I think I will have to add some weight ,but I hate to do that. Has anyone else had this problem? The tail is made from FFF with 1/4 X 3/8 Spruce booms. Your comments would be appreciated.
This plane does come out tail heavy if you keep it stock.
I added a inch or more to the nose and went with a bigger FASTER motor.. And used carbon arrows shafts instead of wood tail booms.
Jul 02, 2008, 07:37 AM
Also if using a stick mount motor, you can leave the stick longer and cut it after you balance the plane with the motor of your liking. I did this with the last one and it works out great.
Jul 02, 2008, 01:14 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
This plane does come out tail heavy if you keep it stock....
Well Dan....it has never built tail heavy in any of my three STOCK F&Ls!

If you build 'em like mine with the 400XT & 3S TP1320...it balances perfectly.

That's my 2 cents....coming from the designer.

-Lee
Jul 04, 2008, 02:09 AM

rocket assist

just wondering if any of you guys have tried mounting rocket motors on the wings for a bit of extra thrust or mounting on wire so they can come of when ignited so as to make a missile most rocket motors are electricly started
Last edited by Bicky 51; Jul 04, 2008 at 02:21 AM.
Jul 04, 2008, 08:42 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicky 51
just wondering if any of you guys have tried mounting rocket motors on the wings for a bit of extra thrust or mounting on wire so they can come of when ignited so as to make a missile most rocket motors are electricly started

Well, you don't need rocket motors on this plane...or many others for that matter. Motors made today have much more power than before...some WAY more power than is needed. Heck, the motor I use on my F&L has over a 1:1 thrust ratio. Some call that overkill....others call it Super Sweet!!

...oh yea, and rocket motors are expensive. Buy a brushless motor setup with a LiPo battery and you're good to go for a LONG time.

I know of only two RC kits that use rocket motors. Estes used to make a kit called the Astro Blaster which, if found, is typically converted to a pusher prop kit. The second is the X1 (Yeager's) which was custom built for a B-29 .

I'm sure others are experimenting with it. I remember one fella making AA rocket motor missiles that shoot from his Slow Stick. Cute...but can be quite dangerous. In fact, I've heard some city regulations prohibiting rocket propelled devices as they are considered "fireworks". If you are involved with a model rocket group, you might get away with it.

BTW - Welcome to RCGroups!! Prepare to be overloaded in Model Aviation!!
Jul 04, 2008, 10:31 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Quote:
Rocket motors are generally not a good idea on the wings of a plane. If one ignites even a few tenths of a second before the other you'll be in a world of hurt. It's best to put them close to each other on the body.

Having said that I am not sure you need that on this plane. Have you built one yet? With a big brushless and a nice battery you can make it scoot around very fast.

P.S. You should not launch rockets from an RC plane! Using a motor for impulse is OK but it should not come off the plane.
Jul 04, 2008, 05:07 PM

rocket assist

i own an estes so that is where the idea came from, i haven't built one yet but am planning to 2 days and i might be able to go to a hobby store & price electronics for it here in nsw, australia.

p.s. thanks for the welcom yarsmythejr
Last edited by Bicky 51; Jul 04, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Jul 04, 2008, 08:20 PM

smoke

have any of you guys made smoke out of ur funder & lightning will try to find the page where some guy did it with his model airplane

can't find it soz
Last edited by Bicky 51; Jul 04, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Jul 04, 2008, 09:02 PM
try this for electronics http://www.cloud9rc.com/indoorflying.asp
Jul 05, 2008, 03:01 AM
looking at building one was wondering where u got your electronics
Jul 05, 2008, 11:09 AM
I went to hobby lobby and bought the 400xt and the suggested speed controller. It was a package deal and was on sale for around $30.00 IIRC. Pulls the T&L around smartly.
Jul 05, 2008, 01:30 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
looking at building one was wondering where u got your electronics
Bicky,

Boy...this question could take a while to answer. Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll write up a 'longer' version for you to read during breakfast.

For now, I'll run down the places I've purchased parts for the "Funder and Lightning". I know other builders have their favorite places and may not agree with 'my' choices...but that's part of the hobby. After a few years, you'll end up with a list of your favorite places too.

1. RCGroups - For Sale/Wanted threads
- You can find EVERYTHING you need from other users selling their gear on this website. It may take a while to accumulate all the pieces but "most" of the sellers are legit and the deals are often "super sweet".

2. eBay
- Again, everything you need....you just gotta search through them all.
- "Tom's RC" is a seller I've used to purchase radio gear. He sells transmitters, receivers, and servos. I typically save 10-20% off the street price of many items.

3. BPHOBBIES.COM
- A fairly good online hobby store. Their prices are good and I've been pleased with delivery times.
- I've purchased motors and speed controllers from this store.

4. Hobby-Lobby.com
- If you can get the 400XTs when they're on sale for less than $15, it's worth it to get at least two at a time. Two of my F&L's are powered by 400XTs.

5. HobbyCity.com
- I expect some people might criticize this store. It's based out of Hong Kong and their prices are 'killing' local vendors. That said, some of their deals are just too good to pass up.
- I have purchased a few Polyquest LiPo's from them at significant discounts. Their Hextronic servos are cheap and have worked well in a few of my aircraft.
- If you are on a tight budget and eager to 'try' something, this is one of the cheapest place I know that will get you what you need.

I can go on & on...but that will hopefully give you some places to look.

For the Funder & Lightning, you'll need:

- Transmitter. A min. of 4 channels will do. However, if you plan to stay in this hobby, try to invest in a six (6) channel computer programmable radio. If you got that bucks, look into the DX6i from Spektrum.
- Receiver. "If" you go with the DX6i radio, the AR6100 is a perfect fit for the F&L.
- Servos. I'm a fan of the Hitec HS-55 micro servos. You don't need a 'standard' size servo (too big). The Hextronic HXT900 is also good.
- Battery. I use a Thunder Power 3-cell 1320mAh LiPo. Anything over 1500mAh will be too big & heavy. Under 800mAh is too small and may not have enough power for your motor.
- Motor. The 400XT is what I use. E-Flite has a 'stick mount' that will fit on the back of it. Works perfectly.
- Speed Controller. I like the way the E-Flite 20amp brushless controller fits on the F&L. However, I also like Castle's Phoenix 25 and T-Bird 18.
- Prop. GWS 8x6HD. A 3mm prop adapter will be needed as well.

Hope this helps.

-Lee
Jul 05, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hey everybody remember this one. Well I finally took it out to the field last Tues I originally set it up with an EFlite 450/CC 36 with a TP 2150. Uhh what the hell was I thinking! Oh and a 10-5 prop. Jeez it was all I could do to keep it off the ground. It was a blinkin rocket. Way too much for my ability, crazy fast. So that evening I lightened everything up BP 2212-13, Turnigy Plush 18A esc and a TP1320 swinging an 8-6 prop. Much better, still has good speed and it is now controllable. The airfoil (built) wing really turns well and it will float way past where you think it should land. The Funder is still my fun go to airplane.
Jul 05, 2008, 10:51 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan
Hey everybody remember this one. Well I finally took it out to the field last Tues I originally set it up with an EFlite 450/CC 36 with a TP 2150. Uhh what the hell was I thinking! Oh and a 10-5 prop. Jeez it was all I could do to keep it off the ground. It was a blinkin rocket. Way too much for my ability, crazy fast. So that evening I lightened everything up BP 2212-13, Turnigy Plush 18A esc and a TP1320 swinging an 8-6 prop. Much better, still has good speed and it is now controllable. The airfoil (built) wing really turns well and it will float way past where you think it should land. The Funder is still my fun go to airplane.
Ive had the pleasure of seeing this one in person.Great looking bird.Lt dan really knows hoe to build.

Quick Reply