Funder & Lightning - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 06, 2007, 09:48 AM
what kind of paint do you use for your foamies?
some cheap spray paint from wal-mart?

have a F/L plane that will be ready to paint very soon

just a little concerned that the wood spars going to the tail of the plane will be a weak spot on not so perfect landings, may glue some carbon fiber stripes to the sides of the spars for re-enforcement

I can't leave an original design alone, have to modify some how

bert-nc
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2007, 09:56 AM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert-nc
what kind of paint do you use for your foamies?
some cheap spray paint from wal-mart? bert-nc
I use "cheap" Testors Spray Enamel. Hobby Lobby (crafts, not the R/C store) seems to have the lowest price. Works great. However, the cans are small so I would recommend getting at least two of your favorite color.

The plane holds up rather well on landings. I've yet to break a tail boom (knock on wood). The weakest point of this aircraft is the bottom skid. I recommend you glue on a thin plastic strip to protect the foam on belly landings. My first kit is banged up pretty good but since I installed the plastic on the Yippee! version, it has faired much better.

Spruce is strong stuff...I don't think you'll need to use carbon fiber reinforcments. However, you 'should' use a small carbon piece across the elevator to keep it straight (see top photos). Other than that, enjoy the heck out of it.
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Jul 06, 2007, 11:00 AM
What is the distance from the nose to the LE?
Thanks
Jul 06, 2007, 12:09 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeed
What is the distance from the nose to the LE?
Thanks
On the red F&L with the EFlite square mount and a 400XT, it is roughly 4" (LE to prop). You may need to play with this distance in order to get the CG right without having to add weight. You have room to move the battery around as well...but this works perfect for me and my TP 1320 3S pack.
Jul 06, 2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you for the info. Is there any drawing for the fuse? or did you just eyed it?
Saeed
Jul 06, 2007, 03:50 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeed
Thank you for the info. Is there any drawing for the fuse? or did you just eyed it? Saeed
No drawing or template...just free hand. The pics above are easy enough to cut something similar. Keep us posted on your progress!

-Lee
Jul 06, 2007, 04:25 PM
Magic Smoke Liberation League
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
No drawing or template...just free hand. The pics above are easy enough to cut something similar. Keep us posted on your progress!

-Lee
Any chance I can talk you in to posting a profile picture of the fuselage?

Thanks,
Tim
Jul 06, 2007, 05:56 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
That would be great to have! Just cut out a quick upper and lower fuse with dimension overlays as you did in this photo.

-Tim
Jul 06, 2007, 09:25 PM
mine is ready to place electronics on

plan on using a AXI 221226 outrunner

just have to remove motor and servos from another plane that I was wanting to retire

bert-nc
Last edited by bert-nc; Jul 06, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Jul 06, 2007, 09:55 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_j_walker
Any chance I can talk you in to posting a profile picture of the fuselage?Thanks,Tim
Here ya go.

Jul 06, 2007, 09:59 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert-nc
plan on using a AXI 221226 outrunner, bert-nc
Holy Frijole Batman! That's a big power plant. What prop/battery combo are you using? I want to run those numbers in Motocalc. Something tells me you're going to have EXTREME vertical performace.

-Lee
Jul 06, 2007, 10:37 PM
Lee, did you ever try a 8060dd gws prop on your esskay? I put one on in place of a 9050, and get longer flight times, somewhat less verticle, but very enjoyable !! I can run liter batteries with it too.

man I'm enjoying your great design--- love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to build Butch77's wild wing boomer, I have the wing blank, but now I think I'll build it with spruce spars and the same tail as the F&L. It will be easier, and stronger too I think.

Paul
Jul 06, 2007, 11:38 PM
Ahhh... Dialed in some Ailerondifferential, and now it feels much better! Nice goodlooking relaxing flying with my F&L. Great plane..

Kim
Jul 06, 2007, 11:45 PM
Kim, How does act when you try to stall it? Notice the difference with the KF foil???
Jul 07, 2007, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Kim, How does act when you try to stall it? Notice the difference with the KF foil???
eh.... I know there is a difference. Do I notice it.....I am not sure really . All my depron/EPP lightweight planes have redicoulusly low stallspeed, so it is hard to tell I think. What I do notice is the better pitchcontrol, but that is probably from the thick rounded LE.

Kim