May 28, 2021, 07:28 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelspangler
I did actually build a new one with a longer nose. I haven't decided what decals to put on it yet, but it's been up in the air a few times and works well. Both of these have differential thrust via radio mix for virtual rudder. I scaled the mixing at 100% on the first one, and it makes the plane pretty unstable so we never really use it. I also added it on my mix for the 2nd one and put it at something like 30% which makes it actually usable for turning. I've never managed to get a single plane into a flat spin, but I might try on the short nosed one.

There are the ESC's. Those KF4 wings work well, don't they?

The term"flat spin" usually refers to the horizontal plane, I'm talking about pulling it straight up, full throttle/left yaw, Set your mix to 100%, charge up your best battery, and go for it.

BTW: I name all my foamies "Flirtin' With Disaster xxx", as in any plane that lets me fly it is.........
I think I'm on 11, or 13, or so and having a ball with this hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2021, 12:14 AM
Flyin' Ryan
Looks like I first commented in this thread in 2008. Today I actually started cutting out a Funder & Lightning. I tried the tiled v2 plans, but my printer and I didn't get along to make accurate plans. Today I went to a library maker space and printed out 2 copies on nice thick poster paper. I cut out one set for patterns, and kept the other copy for reference. I traced out the v3 fuselage over the v2 plans. That was the best solution I could come up with after fighting with printer settings. I triple laminated some dollar store foam and cut it out on the band saw. I got everything cut out but the wings. I've removed the outer paper. I hope its strong enough for the horizontal stab. It seems weak now, but haven't added the CF. This foam board is over 10 years old, and removing the paper has been messy. I have a few sheets of old blue FFF, so I’ll probably make the wings from that.

Is there a preferred foam board that's currently available? Seems all the good stuff (6mm depron and cf88) is no longer available. I haven't built a foam airplane in a while.
I hope to post pictures and a flight report soon.

Thanks again for the fun design.
Jun 24, 2021, 11:28 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Iíve been making progress on my F&L. Iím very happy with my wing. I extended it to 40Ē, because thatís how long my carbon rod was (actually 1m, despite the package saying 40Ē). I left the fff between some plywood for about a day. Itís very flat and true. Iím a little concerned about the dollar tree foam horizontal stab. Iíve added two cf strips. Hopefully that will keep it strong. I have the tail and booms glued up, and just glued the fuse to the wing. Iím letting everything cure overnight. I used some hot glue. It seemed to melt the foam a bit. Most of the joints were made using clear gorilla glue. Iíve used the white quite a bit, and didnít realize the clear is a different product. They look very similar at the store. It doesnít foam up, but seems to make a very strong bond. I was hoping to fly it this weekend, but itís supposed to rain every day. That should give me time to give it a nice finish.
Jun 28, 2021, 06:27 PM
Cloud nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm
Iíve been making progress on my F&L. Iím very happy with my wing. I extended it to 40Ē, because thatís how long my carbon rod was (actually 1m, despite the package saying 40Ē). I left the fff between some plywood for about a day. Itís very flat and true. Iím a little concerned about the dollar tree foam horizontal stab. Iíve added two cf strips. Hopefully that will keep it strong. I have the tail and booms glued up, and just glued the fuse to the wing. Iím letting everything cure overnight. I used some hot glue. It seemed to melt the foam a bit. Most of the joints were made using clear gorilla glue. Iíve used the white quite a bit, and didnít realize the clear is a different product. They look very similar at the store. It doesnít foam up, but seems to make a very strong bond. I was hoping to fly it this weekend, but itís supposed to rain every day. That should give me time to give it a nice finish.
Looking good rycomm, I am sure that You will be happy with the final result F& L make wonderful flyers a great design by Yar smythe.
Sep 27, 2021, 04:48 PM
Flyin' Ryan
I thought I had posted my finished F&L long ago. I got a couple of flights on it, but had motor issues. I guess thatís what happen when I source pets from my spares bin. I used a Park400, but half of it separated in flight. I havenít had the chance to replace it yet. Iíll probably go with a 450 equivalent. I have one on an existing plane, but havenít convinced myself to rob the motor from an otherwise airworthy plane.
Sep 27, 2021, 05:14 PM
Cloud nine
Quote:
I thought I had posted my finished F&L long ago. I got a couple of flights on it, but had motor issues. I guess thatís what happen when I source pets from my spares bin. I used a Park400, but half of it separated in flight. I havenít had the chance to replace it yet. Iíll probably go with a 450 equivalent. I have one on an existing plane, but havenít convinced myself to rob the motor from an otherwise airworthy plane.
You have done a great job creating this masterpiece rycomm, don't even consider robbing a replacement motor from another airworthy beauty.
Lash out and buy a new motor, You will get numerous hours of enjoyment out of this model, which I can assure that you will not regret.
Sep 27, 2021, 07:07 PM
White Mountains in NH
Hi,
I am confused as where to download the 48x36" JPG that can be printed at FedEx Office .
Thanks,
David
Oct 03, 2021, 10:57 AM
Flyin' Ryan
I'm pretty sure it's on the first page. I think version 2 is the best full size version for scratchbuilding. However version 3 has some design revisions I liked. I printed the tiled version from 3 and over layed on the full size and made it work. Biggest difference is the motor mount and laminated nose. I printed mine at the library, which had heavier paper and was in color. That's where I got my trim from, just cut from the plans and glued them on.

Here is a link to V2.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2430
Oct 03, 2021, 01:42 PM
White Mountains in NH
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's on the first page. I think version 2 is the best full size version for scratchbuilding. However version 3 has some design revisions I liked. I printed the tiled version from 3 and over layed on the full size and made it work. Biggest difference is the motor mount and laminated nose. I printed mine at the library, which had heavier paper and was in color. That's where I got my trim from, just cut from the plans and glued them on.

Here is a link to V2.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2430
Thanks! I printed the tiled plans but have yet to tape them together; an issue with my home heating system has come up and hobbies are on hold.
I have also started looking at 3D printed planes and that is another huge rabbit hole that I am diving into. :-)
Oct 03, 2021, 03:37 PM
Out Standing In The Field
..and a link to the V3:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33661046

(Going through the "Attachments" of this thread was very enlightening - all the different mods & takes on the design!)
Oct 04, 2021, 03:22 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
The arrival of 3D printing for scratch built planes is in a word - AWESOME. Motor mounts are no longer some sort of kludge with sticks and parts from the "don't throw it away, I may have a use for it" bin. And the entry price for a printer is under $180 just about every day of the week.

Jim
Oct 04, 2021, 04:18 PM
White Mountains in NH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
The arrival of 3D printing for scratch built planes is in a word - AWESOME. Motor mounts are no longer some sort of kludge with sticks and parts from the "don't throw it away, I may have a use for it" bin. And the entry price for a printer is under $180 just about every day of the week.

Jim
Jim, If you have any links or forums that would be helpful to get started in 3d and 3d planes, that would be great!
Oct 04, 2021, 06:58 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
The RCG forum https://www.rcgroups.com/3d-printed-planes-1006/ has a ton of information. I also follow a guy on YouTube - Troy McMillan (https://www.youtube.com/c/TroyMcMillan) that has really, really excellent tips on how to setup your printer. The best one, and I re-watch it from time to time is
How to Print Thin Wall - PlanePrint | Big Bobber (20 min 45 sec)
The fine tweaks in the slicer make a huge difference.

I have also bought several Eclipson models. Unfortunately, my grass field is not small plane friendly but I have flown the Model Y off it. I tell ya, doing loops, rolls, stall turns, etc with a model that is literally butt joint glued together is kind of exhilarating. Not a single piece of carbon!

And now - back to our regular scheduled programming on the FnL.

Jim
Oct 05, 2021, 10:10 AM
White Mountains in NH
Thanks, I have looked at his videos, they are great. I have grass as well . I'll check out the model Y and check out the RCG 3d forum.

Quick Reply