Jun 11, 2019, 06:30 AM
Fly for fun
FCRR - Fly, Crash, Repair, Repet (5 min 44 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2019, 07:47 AM
Funder & Lightning with Galaxy Gear 360*
F&L 360* video (4 min 3 sec)
Nov 02, 2019, 02:06 PM
That was COOL!
Nov 06, 2019, 08:50 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Great...now I gotta get one of those!
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Nov 06, 2019, 11:25 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Come on Lee, I’m waiting on the twin tractor p38 homage version you were talking about on the podcast.
Nov 08, 2019, 07:24 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffy1976
Funder & Lightning with Galaxy Gear 360*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Hx0Jm_9Zo&t=13s
Neat!
Nov 08, 2019, 05:35 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Come on Lee, Iím waiting on the twin tractor p38 homage version you were talking about on the podcast.

Me too! But life is kinda in the way. My buddy is kinda wrapped up in other projects. Unless I can borrow him for a day to help me cut up large sheets of foam with the "P-38" changes, it'll have to sit on a shelf.

Worst case, I'll move forward with an "ugly/cheap" version on my own. Might be something I can do early next year. Stay tuned.
Dec 09, 2019, 01:18 AM

better late than never

This is my take on Funder and Lightning.

Made from sliced polystyrene fruit boxes etc and covered in coloured tape.
Arrow shafts for booms and wind spare

Motor is 2212 1400kv
prop 8 x 6
battery 3s 1500
3 CH RX
AUW with a 3S 1500 battery is 470 grams.

Has not had it's maiden flight yet as I have just finished putting it together, have to wait for the wind to go away.
Dec 09, 2019, 04:22 AM
The other thing I did that I forgot to mention is that I used a KFM4 wing that is step top and bottom
Dec 11, 2019, 05:53 AM
Had the maiden flight today, have to say with the mentioned setup it is a real animal.
Goes straight up like a missile, used 50% expo and only 50% rates on the first flight.
Flies like a dream, as everyone else has said it does.
The second flight I used a 2S 2000 as I forgot the other 3S I was going to use.
Becomes a much milder plane to fly.
Jan 03, 2020, 09:55 PM
I crash planes
Is there a scaled one of this that would allow a 3536 910kv motor running on a 3s 2200mah? It's my favorite power setup and I have 2 sets I pulled from old planes.
Last edited by bbjsw10; Jan 18, 2020 at 09:38 AM.
Jan 07, 2020, 08:19 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10
Is there a scaled one of this that would allow a 3536 910kv motor running on a 3a 2200mah? It's my favorite power setup and I have 2 sets I pulled from old planes.
I don't have a set but maybe you upscale the plans to get a 44"-48" wingspan. That should be large enough for that setup.
Apr 08, 2020, 03:43 PM
I had two small hxm-1400 motors that I got a few years ago for like $3 each, and since then I've wanted to make into a twin aircraft but needed a plan. I found T&L the other day and figured it would be easy to incorporate twin engines. I used dollar tree foamboard (adams readyboard) with a 30 inch wingspan - I used a flat CF spar on the leading edge to stiffen things. I kept the step in the wing on the top rather than the bottom. Did some research and the original wing is basically based on the KFM-1 principal, and I chose to flip it to KFM-2 because KFM2 has slightly more lift and I was worried about power (more on that later). The booms going to the tail are 4mm carbon rods that are about 50cm (19.5 inches) long.

Since I couldn't figure out the exact scale to print stuff at, I actually just displayed 1/2 of the wing on my monitor and zoomed in/out until half the wing was 15 inches, then traced onto paper. Once I had the scale, I used the same scale to trace the other foam parts. Motor mounts were 3d printed.

Maiden was not great - I simply didn't have enough power on 2s with the motor's recommended 4x2.5 prop for flight. At full throttle I could fly in a straight line and stay in the air, but I couldn't climb and as soon as I would bank and yank to turn or use differential thrust (one motor spinning faster than the other) I'd lose altitude (and max altitude was as high as I could throw it on launch). I tried to prop up to a 5x3 without much change. I went to 3s which neither my motors nor ESCs were rated for and could maintain flight at like 60% throttle and climb at full throttle, but after two flights one motor no longer spins - it just sort of twitches. Thinking I probably either burned out the motor or esc. I'll probably upgrade to a slightly more modern motor made for small quad copters (the technology has gotten way better in the last few years). I'll pass on my final hardware details if I get it flying well, but for now - here's a picture of how it turned out.
Apr 08, 2020, 07:13 PM
Out Standing In The Field
More power is more better!
Looks like you've made a very good start .
Are you thinking of 1806 or 2204 motors?
Apr 08, 2020, 08:54 PM
I was thinking of a 1306 like this one - https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-R...p-1078045.html

My plane was just over 250 grams all up weight, and these are rated for 240 grams. With these, I'll likely be closer to 275 or 300 grams. Even if these motors only pull 150 grams, I should still be able to pull straight up vertical climbs (unless I'm miss understanding something.)

I have a single 1806 on my flitetest tiny trainer, which has a bigger and thicker wing, and that has a lot of power - I don't think I'd need two of those, unless I wanted to go super fast, and I usually prefer keeping speed fairly mild - more time to react and less breakage.

Quick Reply