Aug 20, 2018, 01:39 PM
scratchbuilder
This is a fantastic design! Simple and cheap to build, looking great and a very good flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2018, 10:55 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Having just gotten back from NEAT and having met Terry, I'm mulling purpose built planes for various events for next year. Lobster combat (chasing a fast streamer towing plane), night time slow fly balloon pop contest, night bowling and mass warbird launch are primary targets.

Twin tractor, 3s max, 24 ounce max, optimal would have removable landing gear since some events you can take back off if you land upright from the scrum.

Can laminate for assassin class durability if needed, distantly possible to fpv it.
Sep 18, 2018, 08:59 PM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Having just gotten back from NEAT and having met Terry
I don't know you by your RCG handle. What's your outside handle (i.e. name)?

I think the FnL would be great for lobster combat and maybe balloon pop. Maybe a single pusher config for bowling. I assume that tractor planes break a lot of props when bowling. Do you think Tom would let an FnL into the Warbird gig?

Terry
Sep 18, 2018, 09:12 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Jason. Team RA Cores. Squid hat at the demo gaggle.

He probably would allow it if painted as a lightning, especially if it was twin tractor. Easy to check.

Youre right about bowling, props would die. And NEAT bowling is much slower and safer than SEFF bowling
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; Sep 19, 2018 at 08:05 AM.
Sep 18, 2018, 09:15 PM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool
Jason. Team RA Cores. Squid hat at the demo gaggle.
Ah...you had me at "Jason"
Sep 19, 2018, 08:18 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar_man
I don't know you by your RCG handle. What's your outside handle (i.e. name)?

I think the FnL would be great for lobster combat and maybe balloon pop. Maybe a single pusher config for bowling. I assume that tractor planes break a lot of props when bowling. Do you think Tom would let an FnL into the Warbird gig?

Terry
I asked Tom, once I explained it was a fun scale P38 he said keep it to 32oz and 3s and I'm good.
Sep 26, 2018, 06:58 AM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Got the plans for this and looking forward to building. A while back there was discussion regarding kits. Did that ever come to be? If so I'd like to get some.
Latest blog entry: F4D Skyray Glider
Oct 02, 2018, 07:26 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
First Flite Test Foam F&L !!

Will provide a review on the build and flight characteristics soon.
Dec 23, 2018, 11:53 PM
Rough Landing
Would EPP be okay to use for this? I hane 9mm sheets on hand.
Dec 24, 2018, 10:30 AM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Should work fine, will need to throw in some supports though, probably carbon fiber rods/strips
Latest blog entry: F4D Skyray Glider
Dec 26, 2018, 01:46 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

Merry Christmas to ME!!

My son surprised the hell out of me this year. I knew he was working on a "project" and kept telling me to stay away from the workshop every now and then but I had no idea what he was up to until he showed me the YouTube video below on Christmas Eve.

I can report that I have officially flown his creation (little nose heavy first flight but tweaked it for the second) and it is pretty awesome. He even added thrust differential!! It's the first twin I've flown of my F&L and it's impressive. Looks like we're gonna make another twin soon using Midwest CF88 foam. Stay tuned!

Good job Austin. You made Daddy proud.

-Lee

Twin Funder & Lightning Part-1, The build. (4 min 41 sec)
Dec 27, 2018, 08:48 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
My son surprised the hell out of me this year. I knew he was working on a "project" and kept telling me to stay away from the workshop every now and then but I had no idea what he was up to until he showed me the YouTube video below on Christmas Eve.

I can report that I have officially flown his creation (little nose heavy first flight but tweaked it for the second) and it is pretty awesome. He even added thrust differential!! It's the first twin I've flown of my F&L and it's impressive. Looks like we're gonna make another twin soon using Midwest CF88 foam. Stay tuned!

Good job Austin. You made Daddy proud.

-Lee

https://youtu.be/KN-s6AA9kU4
That is fantastic! Way to go Austin! Hope you guys had a fantastic holiday.

Joshua
Jan 10, 2019, 09:33 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Flying time!!!

Twin Funder and Lightning maiden flight (4 min 42 sec)
Jan 12, 2019, 10:45 PM

Green Funder

Hi everyone,

today we've joined the club of Funder pilots! Our "Green Funder" successfully maiden'ed and we got in 3 smooth and fun flights. Inspired by the John Deere Funder we have chosen a green color with yellow highlights.

Name: green-funder-1.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 296.4 KB
Description:

We are running a 2212-10 1400 KV from Banggood, cheap 8x6 ABS prop, Flycolor 30A ESC, Hitec 65HG servos, 3S 1300 mAh Zippy LiPo

Name: green-funder-4.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 477.1 KB
Description:

For those considering building this plane: don't hesitate! The build is super easy thanks to the great plans and Lee's fantastic build videos. We spent actually more time with the paint job than the build itself.
The plane is easy to launch: 3/4 throttle and give it a gentle toss with the nose pointing slightly upwards. Landings are very easy too: floats great and slows down nicely before touching down.
Flying is amazing fun. The plane hangs great on the prop with lots of power. Loops and Rolls are very easy to get round and flat. You can zoom around quickly, but also fly at a more leisurely pace. We are getting between 6 and 8 minutes of flight time. I would not consider this a beginners plane, but a solid second one, e.g. after you've mastered flying a Bixler.

Name: green-funder-2.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 31.5 KB
Description:

Name: green-funder-3.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 50.5 KB
Description:

Thank you Lee for designing and sharing such a wonderful looking and fun to fly plane!

greetings from Singapore, Patrick and Werner
Jan 12, 2019, 11:41 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Patrick/Werner,

Thanks for sharing your F&L build story. Made my day!! Hope you have a great time flying it. Please upload a video soon!

-Lee

Quick Reply