Apr 14, 2016, 09:15 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roooster_11
Won't the motor, mount, esc and all that add enough weight to the nose.
It will add weight, yes, but it may not be enough. If you look at it as if you were going to put on a scale, you have more than 15 inches behind the spar with only 5-6 in front. With the motor and battery that close to the leading edge, my guess is that your CG will end up being near the trailing edge of the wing once you install everything.

Just trying to give some advice based on the photos I saw. Hope this helps.

to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2016, 09:45 PM

Received my kit today

Extremely impressed!! I have ordered a few kits from others before, but the cutting quality and precision of alignment are by far the best I have seen so far.

Lee you definitely do high quality work.

Here is a dry fit photo (I need to reverse the booms upside down).

If you get in the business of selling other planes I will definitely buy more from you.. Kudos to you sir for such good work
Apr 14, 2016, 10:21 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Glad it arrived in one piece. Have fun building it.
Apr 15, 2016, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
It will add weight, yes, but it may not be enough. If you look at it as if you were going to put on a scale, you have more than 15 inches behind the spar with only 5-6 in front. With the motor and battery that close to the leading edge, my guess is that your CG will end up being near the trailing edge of the wing once you install everything.

Just trying to give some advice based on the photos I saw. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. I can certainly use all the advice I can get. Since it's almost complete, I will add my electronics and see what happens. If it's too far back I make adjustments or build a new one....building is most of the fun anyway

Thanks again....will post back after electronics are added.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:15 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
I've created two documents recently for my new laser cut F&L builds. One is a PARTS list and the other is ASSEMBLY instructions. Some of it won't apply to those of you building one from scratch but it might help a little.

Just a reminder that the John Deere F&L build is a few pages back. The photos will really help during assembly.
Apr 15, 2016, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56
Has anyone put floats on theirs? If so, what kind and how successful was it?

Dan
Anyone
Apr 15, 2016, 05:40 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-56

Anyone
I've built two standard F&L's and one twin, but not a floater.

Go for it, you may start something if you can get it to work.
Apr 15, 2016, 06:10 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
I've seen one with snow skis, not floats. Good gravy...they'll probably end up weighing more than the plane! Not to mention all the drag!!
Apr 15, 2016, 10:22 PM
Wonder if anyone has tried to down seize the wing span to say 30, since Adams foam board is 30in long!
Apr 16, 2016, 12:13 AM
Hole digger
Yeah, about 7 years ago I made a 26" wingspan out of fan fold blue foam and got a few hours of air time in it. Great flyer.
Apr 16, 2016, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRabbit
Yeah, about 7 years ago I made a 26" wingspan out of fan fold blue foam and got a few hours of air time in it. Great flyer.
THX working on 30 inch, the folded fan foam takes up alot of room in my shop. So I am looking at 80% at print seize.
Apr 16, 2016, 06:59 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
FeWolf, if you look at the first post, you'll see my son holding a small blue one I built many years ago. Flew pretty well too!
Apr 16, 2016, 10:38 AM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
I've seen one with snow skis, not floats. Good gravy...they'll probably end up weighing more than the plane! Not to mention all the drag!!
Problematic for all float planes, of course.

The exact reason I employ amphibian designs for water.

Nevertheless, many people enjoy float planes.

The F&L design is so straightforward and inexpensive to build it would be a good candidate for his float plane experiment.

The twin booms would make it easy to support the floats as well.

Definitely need to keep the weight down, for sure.
Apr 16, 2016, 02:17 PM
This is kid stuff.
Edit:

Should have mentioned, I was thinking in terms of:

Upcoming F&L will be my second w/ twin motors and thrust differential (from rudder stick) mix in the radio. This would enable taxi control on the water.
Not to mention being a big time hoot in the air.
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Apr 16, 2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add info
Apr 18, 2016, 12:58 AM
Flew mine today.

Specs:
Blue Wonder 1500KV
8x4 Prop
3S 850 mah
20 amp ESC
5 G servos on the ailerons and 9 G on the elevator

It flew really nice till I crashed it (my fault, didn't tighten down the motor allens good enough). With the blue wonder it was a gentle flyer with plenty of thrust. No trims were even needed at all, not even expo.

I did crack part of the horizontal stab, but thats an easy fix.

One change I did, instead of using wood for the nose doublers I used black coroplast.

I traced the kit parts and will be building another one with a beefier motor. One change I might do is use coroplast for the horizontal stab and tails, my micro wraith is set up like that and is extremely strong

Quick Reply