Jan 05, 2016, 10:45 PM
Ich Fliege
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark murphy
Mike, love your mini idea I have built two Funders in the past from fan-fold foam and love them! Love the idea of a mini out of white 6mm Dapron and was wondering how you came up with the 24' wing span? Did you shrink the original plans, what is the new cg and the tail feather dimensions?

Thanks for your input!

AJ ( aka Mark)
Mark,

For most of the full size plans in PDF format, I just take the original plan wing span size and calculate the wing span I want. For example, if the plan calls for a 36" span and I want it to be 24", I divide 24 by 36 and come up with the correct percentage to reduce to. In this case the reduction percentage is 66.6%. I use Adobe to open the original PDF plan, select print, select properties, set the page to landscape and size to 11x17 (I use 11x17 to landscape print all my plans). I then select poster printing and change the tile scale to 66.6% to reduce the print to the dimension I calculated and print it. In this example the plan will print out 11x17 tiled pages reduced by 33.3% to a 24" wing span.

I have found that using this method really doesn't change the specs other than adjusting for the reduction/enlargement. In this example, if the CG was 1.5" from the leading edge in the original plan, the CG in the new plan is now 1.0" from the leading edge (1.5" x 66.6% = 1.0"). I have a CG calculator that I use to double check all my CG measurements.

In hindsight, I should have used 5g servos to reduce the weight a little. However, she did fly very well...

I hope this helps,

MikeG
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2016, 10:43 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Funder & Lightning v3

In the attachments below, you will find:

* PDF Plans (1 sheet to scale, XRay view)
* PDF Parts list
* PDF Instructions

Images show the 3D rendering of the pieces going together and a final build of a Ver. 3 kit.

Please leave any messages in this thread if you have questions or comments.

Enjoy!
Last edited by YarSmythe; Apr 20, 2017 at 07:38 AM.
Jan 08, 2016, 06:48 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Thanks for the new plans. Not one to complain but they print out @ 11"WS, enlarge 320% to make them usable.
Jan 08, 2016, 09:55 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarSmythe
Hey Fellas,

My buddy Terry whipped up the latest "Version 3" of the Funder & Lightning plans. If you have any questions or comments, drop me a line.

Enjoy!

Lee / YarSmythe
A great plane!!! I need to build another one!! My first was flown (and crashed) many times a few years ago when I didn't know what I was doing!!! I bet I'd enjoy her even more now that I have some "thumbs"!!!
Jan 09, 2016, 07:13 PM
My last build of 2015 calling my YP-38-Funsair. Like say in my blog, finally got to building one! Made big fat Corsair-like wings to practice landing -WS30 chord 9. Use my favorite Flip-flop/shower shoe foam for the Fuse. Emax 2405 1700kv, 2s 800mAh Lipo, 7x4prop. Had it up in Aug-Oct till too much wind here. Im still no good at landing it. Don't think I'll try it out on snow.
Mar 17, 2016, 07:43 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Hey everyone. Got some cool news to share. After my friend Terry made the latest version of the Funder & Lightning plans, I sent them to a new friend with a laser cutter. He's a brilliant chap who took just a few minutes to convert the PDF into a laser design and started cutting pieces shortly after. We've been getting together for a few weeks and seem to have a "healthy" design for an F&L kit. Right now we're playing with different foams and here is a cool version we made with Hobby Lobby black foam core. It's heavy but very strong...and ALL the pieces come from one sheet!

When I finish a few more, I'll post more information and photos.

Let's hope we can make some kits for more pilots to enjoy. Stay tuned.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458261641.581036.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 554.8 KB
Description:
Mar 17, 2016, 09:03 PM
Terry Dunn
That looks really good.
Mar 17, 2016, 11:31 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
I do not like Dollar Tree Foam. Not sure what I was thinking when my buddy with the laser cutter wanted to try it out for the F&L. I was almost finished building a second F&L tonight when the adhesive I had been using on my CF88 foam started melting the DTF. Lost the entire fuse section. Tore up the wing to get the fuselage pieces off. We only cut the wings from CF88 so I don't have the time to hand cut anything else from CF88 tonight.

Hard lesson learned. Really bummed 'cause I was hoping to bring several kits to a swap meet tomorrow. Frustrating!!
Mar 18, 2016, 02:20 PM
This is kid stuff.
for kit progress and details; spar & booms material, motor mounting, etc.

Choice of foam - Depron gets my vote. I just keep coming back to it.
Mar 20, 2016, 07:19 PM
Hi All! I found this plane on tuesday and I liked it so much I built one. I took it out in the back yard to try it out and WOW! It was just about dark so I did not bother with the camera nor fly it long but it flew straight and true. My back yard is too small for this plane but I Was able to maneuver her around easily . I am impressed! Can not wait to get it to the flying field! I built it from dollar tree foam board and the booms are some 5/8" half round trim I had laying around, It's a little heavy 18 oz. AUW but the Turnigy 2826 1400Kv pulls it with ease with a 8x4 APC prop and a 1000 mAh 3s battery. The fuse section I made 4 layers thick for strength. I painted it with Ace hardware gray primer and free handed some "camo" colors. Thank you YarSmythe Great design!
Name: IMG_20160320_193450.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 383.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20160320_193557.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 419.9 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_20160320_193706.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 487.4 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20160320_193843.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 348.9 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_20160320_193903.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 391.6 KB
Description:
Mar 20, 2016, 08:15 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgc
Hi All! I found this plane on tuesday and I liked it so much I built one. I took it out in the back yard to try it out and WOW!....Thank you YarSmythe Great design!
Congrats! Glad you are having fun with it. Post some video when you can.

Lee
Mar 20, 2016, 08:41 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

Moving right along...

The thread fell pretty silent over the past year. I think that made an impression on me so I've been busy with the Funder & Lightning lately and have some more things to share with everyone.

As you know, I'm working with a great chap who has a laser cutting machine and we're working on creating some F&L kits. We're in the trial/error phase so it'll be a while before we nail down a final design. I've made the decision to stick with Midwest Cellfoam 88 until I am no longer able to purchase it. It appears to be discontinued but I've been able to locate sheets from time to time. It's not cheap so the kits will be pricier than, say, FliteTest kits. But, if you want a plane that is straight and flies like it's on rails, CF88 is the best.

I built three test planes this week: Hobby Lobby Black Foam Board (heavy), CF88 wing with Dollar Tree foam tail surfaces, and a complete CF88 model. My buddy Terry got the HL Black, my other buddy got the complete CF88 kit, and I just finished the CF88 wing with Dollar Tree foam tail.

The HL Black F&L is cool looking but the material is heavy and warps easily. A sheet in my garage buckled severely today. The paper also doesn't handle my adhesive spray as well as CF88 does. I doubt I'll make another one using that foam board.

As I stated in an earlier post, I don't like the Dollar Tree foam. If you're building a slow, lightweight kit...it'll probably serve you well. If you remove the paper, the foam is too flexible (imho). The F&L airframe I finished today has Dollar Tree foam for the tail surfaces and booms with the paper still attached. We'll see how long that lasts. I don't expect the paper will stay on the foam after a few flights.

In other news, my buddy Terry (who now owns the HL Black F&L) built me another mini/micro F&L. He's a great guy and I'm lucky to have him as a friend. This thing is really nice looking too. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet but I think I'll bring it to the church gymnasium tomorrow night for a go! If you want more specs on this, I'll tell him to jump in and share his build with everyone.

Version 3 plans - I have to make a few tweaks on these. A few measurements are off and I'd like to change a couple of items. As soon as I get that done, I'll repost the PDF file for everyone.

Now that I'm on a roll with the F&L, I'll be updating this thread more frequently. Stay tuned!!

Lee
Mar 20, 2016, 09:24 PM
This is kid stuff.

Standard size F&L kit progress.
Mar 22, 2016, 07:56 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Finished two today. Playing with the nose section on one of them (may use 3mm CF88 as doublers).
Mar 27, 2016, 12:03 PM
YarSmythe:

I have downloaded the PDF for what is version 2 (way back at the beginning), you have mentioned some improvements, minor changes in your recent post. I did read somewhere in this thread that the ailerons had been increased to 1.5". I am preparing to build and any heads up on other changes would be appreciated. It is a nice design. I have been absent for some time, however, recently back at building.

I still have some of the original FFF and some of the newer $tree foam, the $tree foam with the paper removed and packing tape applied has been holding up reasonably good. I have also found by sealing the edges if the paper is left on, with hot glue applied and wiped off helps keep the paper from parting from the foam.

Keep up the good work

Bobflyer

Thanks for the nice build... BobFlyer

Quick Reply