Aug 25, 2007, 06:34 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Those are nice invisible booms!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2007, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
Yep, that's one way to make sure it's not tail heavy.
Aug 25, 2007, 10:14 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
HAHAHAHA....I was thinking the same thing! Fiber optic tail support maybe?! Pretty funny to look at. I wonder if other viewers (new to this topic) will strain their eyes trying to find the supports. Too funny.
Aug 27, 2007, 02:26 PM
Check out post 285 more update on main wing pictures . Learning a lot about working with foam,and trying to paint it!
Dan T
Last edited by DanT; Aug 27, 2007 at 02:55 PM.
Aug 27, 2007, 08:57 PM
Just one more.......
Quote:
Sim69, Great job! Are those CF boom tubes?
Thanks Troynh, Yeah CF booms. I couldn't find any of the material you guys are using locally and my LHS always has a good range of CF. Hope it doesn't give me any RF interference.

Quote:
Sim69: Very nice! What inkjet material did you use to make the decals? Was this one made from Depron? We need to get a black or gray prop on that bad boy.
Thanks yarsmythejr, I'm using AVERY clear mailing labels, which are good but aren't waterproof and smudge easily if you handle them alot as you can see in one of my pics near the canopy.I now cover them with clear packing tape before I cut them out which makes them a bit more durable. A better option would be to use a clear label designed for a colour laser printer if you've got access to one.It's made from 5mm CELLFOAM88.I gave the prop a light coat of black, looks much better.

Here's a PDF of the decals I used if anyone is interested,ripped from bullseye000's great PDF.
Aug 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
plane builder
hey thanx soo much for the plans of the thunder n lightning
i built one the other day with layd in ailiron servos and some other things basicly same specs tho and they are alot of fun to fly
Aug 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
Update, well I'm done, bigger motor , over 1oz. more in weight heavier then the 400 xt motor.
1" wider and 1" longer in the nose, all foam is two layers thick except at front of LE with wood on it for KF it has three layers of foam.
Carbon booms and stronger Hitec 56 servos.
All H20 Krylon paint and water base polyurethane. Hacker 20T clone motor 18A esc burg4 RX with y cable for ailerons . TP 1320 3 cell battery.
Total weight without battery 14oz. Add 3oz. for battery,
Yes, it's a little heavy, but very strong for are rocks and weeds we have around here. The motor can make about 28oz of thrust so it should be fast!
Last edited by DanT; Aug 30, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Aug 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
Great looking F&L Dan, bet it'll be a sweet flyer.
Aug 31, 2007, 04:32 AM
Update, as you can see, with my setup even battery can be hidden with all electronics . We will see if there is a glitch problem . More testing and routing of wires. First ground test with motor running on stand seems fine. http://mysite.verizon.net/ress2j3y/s...G.w560h420.jpg
Last edited by DanT; Aug 31, 2007 at 09:51 AM.
Aug 31, 2007, 07:10 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Dan,

17oz is light. My larger wing version is in at 19+ with battery.

Even though you have vents built in to the fuse, I'd be more concerned with heat than glitches.

When are you going to launch it?

-Tim
Aug 31, 2007, 09:54 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Dan,

What type of glue did you use to keep the CF rods down? The last photo makes it look like it's just "sitting" on the foam. Is it strong enough?

The plane looks great. You did a wonderful job assembling it. I hope you have a successful maiden. Keep us posted with pics or a video!

-Lee
Aug 31, 2007, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Dan,

What type of glue did you use to keep the CF rods down? The last photo makes it look like it's just "sitting" on the foam. Is it strong enough?

The plane looks great. You did a wonderful job assembling it. I hope you have a successful maiden. Keep us posted with pics or a video!

-Lee
Hello Lee,
First, the carbon rods are sanded into the foam for a bigger foot print for glue. I wrapped sandpaper around carbon rod and used a metal strait edge while sanding.
I will post a picture of it again,.
Question what type of glue on CF rods.
On main wing where carbon rods sit there is two layers of 4mm foam .Before gluing to foam I used a strait pin and poked holes in foam all over in the foot print to help hold glue hold better to foam, next on main wing I used epoxy glue,and on the elevator it also is sanded with a foot print , I used the new gorilla glue.
Last edited by DanT; Aug 31, 2007 at 04:20 PM.
Aug 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
You don't need to go thru all that trouble to mount a cf spar. Just cut a v-shaped slot about the width (at max) of the cf spar. then use one end of the cf spar itself to shape out the slot. Just don't poke too hard or it will poke thru the foam. Poke one end along the slot and the excess foam will come off.

chewy
Sep 01, 2007, 01:04 AM

Ready for a Combat weekend

Finished mine a few days ago but my park 400 inrunner is burnt out, so I borrowed a park 400 outrunner from a friend, maidened it (badly, I have like 60 seconds of real flight time & just got a sim), but my mounting stick broke. Duh, it was balsa! so I carved a few new ones from some trim pine I had kicking around & am ready to take on my friends in combat tomorrow.
Sep 01, 2007, 10:14 AM
Update,, did first flight this morning,
Went ok, nothing to write home about.
Remember I'm use to 3D airplanes, first impression on my setup , I need more elevator throw or bigger control surface .
Next, it's not a floater ,comes in a little hot with no wind .
My idea is to try and increases throw on elevator and see what happens .
Doesn't tip stall when pushed hard , but I need more elevator.
More testing to come.

Update, did two more flights after changing pitch of prop and increased elevator throw ( a little )IMO I still need more elevator throw.
Also changed CG, no big difference.
Looks like I might need to get a longer servo arm for elevator,
also,( the elevator might need more control surface,because of wider cabin?)
The wider cabin, might be cutting off some airflow to surface?
I also had more head wind on my next flights,( helped slow plane down a little but not much) My setup is no floater ! I was hoping to be able to catch this airplane with my hand! It's stall speed seems to fast for that.
Last edited by DanT; Sep 01, 2007 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply