Jun 28, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi... I would like to build your Funder 'n Lightning. I have never built with FFF so a couple of quesiton please. Do you just use the corner of a table to fold the edge? That looks like gorilla glue? Anything special ... do you remove the covering at the glue joints? Thanks for the help , Jim
Last edited by pawnking; Jun 28, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2007, 07:14 PM
Did you get it on video?
I am a BIG fan of hot glue. It works great for everything, at least as far as I have tried.
Jun 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
I couldn't help my self, I started one tonite, my wing is drying now!!!

Do you find you nees a lot of aileron throws?
Jun 28, 2007, 10:36 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnking
Hi... I would like to build your Funder 'n Lightning. I have never built with FFF so a couple of quesiton please. Do you just use the corner of a table to fold the edge? That looks like gorilla glue? Anything special ... do you remove the covering at the glue joints? Thanks for the help , Jim
Jim,

Your best bet is to view the original Blue Funder build to see how the FFF works. There is no folding to speak of really. You cut out the design using the original fold between two pieces. It's a waste of FFF but what's the cost of that anyway??

On my red F&L, the 5mm sheets are glued together and I used a piece of leading edge balsa on the front. You don't have to use the balsa strip...you could just as well round the front edge with sandpaper. I like my method since it strengthens the wing.

Good luck!

-Lee
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Jun 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
I couldn't help my self, I started one tonite, my wing is drying now!!!

Do you find you nees a lot of aileron throws?
It only needs a lot of throw if you plan on doing aerobatic rolls. Otherwise, for simple/easy park flying, you can do without. She's very stable.

A friend took some video of the F&L Yippee flying today in 10+ winds. She was hanging in the wind. It's pretty weird to watch. It'll take me a couple of days to edit and produce something for you guys to see.

-Lee
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Jun 29, 2007, 01:38 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Picture of my Funder - before it's demise (hit the ONLY light pole on the street). This one was crazy over powered (is there such a thing??) with an e-flite 450 and APC 10*7 e-prop. She flies great in the wind, and is well mannered overall. I've got some 5mm foam here and a couple of TP 2409-12 looking for a home. Think 200 watts on her would be too much (fun!!) ? By the way, I use carbon fiber arrow shafts for the wing spar and booms. With my high power setup, I snapped a spruce boom on Funder #1.

Jim
Jun 30, 2007, 08:16 PM

Funder&Lightning, KF step wing style

After seeing the vid of the F&L, I had to try one! I decided to use a K-F step foil, the step is on the top at 50% cord (it's hard to see, but it's under the black tape). I was going to paint it P38 style, but I have a FF p38 twin and it's kind of hard to see sometimes.
This should stand out! Weight with no gear, just the motor, is 9oz. If it flies well, I might put some LG on it.

Will report back when I maiden it.

Paul
Jun 30, 2007, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
After seeing the vid of the F&L, I had to try one! I decided to use a K-F step foil, the step is on the top at 50% cord (it's hard to see, but it's under the black tape). I was going to paint it P38 style, but I have a FF p38 twin and it's kind of hard to see sometimes.
This should stand out! Weight with no gear, just the motor, is 9oz. If it flies well, I might put some LG on it.

Will report back when I maiden it.

Paul
THIS is the right spirit! Go for it, don't think about it
Interested in how the KF performes at full throttle ( ie is it going to be fast..?)

Good luck with the maiden

Kim
Jun 30, 2007, 11:02 PM
Kim, me too. I made a KF Simple fokker (GPW's) and it flies real sweet, almost impossible to stall. With the Esskay on 3Cells, there'll be more than enough power.

Gear's mounted, will put the control rods on in the morning.

Paul
Jul 01, 2007, 09:52 AM
Jim, I maidened it this AM in too windy a day for anything else I fly. After a glide/CG/low powered test over a thick hay field, I flew it at my local playground. I flew out of my hand underhanded like your vid shows, just a touch of up trim and it was off.

Man it handles the wind super!!!. It can float into the breeze almost stopped. turns are steady and rolls are flat. Looks great swooping by, flies inverted as easily as uprite.

The KF step wing is great, but I can't compare it to the original, my step is on top at 50%.

This is my new windy day flier!! can't wait to fly it in low winds. Up/down stability is smooth and not the least twitchy.

Come on guys, build this one, you'll love it

Thanks for posting the plan for thr F & L, it's a keeper for sure

Paul
Jul 01, 2007, 10:38 AM
Pual.. can we see a better pic of the wing? I am starting my build today and a few close ups pics sure help me on my build. Thanks, Jim
Jul 01, 2007, 02:42 PM
pawnking, I take some shots tonite of the wing and underside for you thin evening, got grandkids ramming around here at the moment!
Jul 01, 2007, 04:05 PM
Starting mine now! Using EPP, KF-step on top.
Jul 01, 2007, 11:48 PM
Finished!

Built mine a bit smaller, 75cm WS. Power from a AXI 2204/54 with a 8x4 prop. 3 cell 300-700mAh, will find out what works best. AUW now is 210gr with a 450mAh batt.
Only hotglue was used.
Hopefullly I can try it today if the weather is on my side

Kim
Last edited by kimhey; Jul 02, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
Jul 02, 2007, 05:07 AM
Wow Kim that lite!! looks great, good luck with the maiden.

Paul