Jan 02, 2010, 12:33 AM
Slope Junky
Some pics. I will post some video too.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2010, 06:13 AM
The sky ate my homework!

New Newbie: HELP to get started?

Hello,

I have been flying an Easystar since July 2009, and I am interested in building a F&L. I am not sure where to start... I saw the PDF plans, but can someone help me get started?: where do I get Depron foam?
(I searched "Depron" at my usual source hobbyCity.com and found nothing).
Is the list of equipment listed on the PDF plan still current or are there better/newer suggestions now?

Thanks for any help

Michael
Jan 02, 2010, 10:11 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Michael,

Welcome aboard. Don't be too intimidated with the build. It is pretty easy and can be assembled using a variety of parts. There are many F&L pilots who have built the plane using different materials or construction techniques not used in the original design. Sometimes you use what's at hand and see how it goes!

First, I highly recommend sitting down with a cup of coffee or soda and read through the first 200 threads one by one. The photos and comments in the beginning will really help guide you through the process.

Second, the material you use does not have to be Depron. It is a very popular building foam but not everyone uses it. I'm a fan of Midwest Cellfoam 88 but I started using Dow FFF (fan fold foam) for my prototype. Others here have mentioned a readily available paper backed foam from Hobby Lobby Crafts. Heck, I've seen one fella build his HUGE F&L out of the 1" pink building foam from Home Depot! (btw-that's too thick ).

Contact your local RC hobby store and see if they carry Depron, Cellfoam 88, or any other type of foam around 5-6mm in thickness. If they don't, see if they have advice on where to get it or if they can get you in contact with another pilot in the area who builds foam kits. Cellfoam 88 is not cheap but you CAN get it online from MYATOMIC.COM. If you buy more than $25 from their store they throw in free shipping . You can get all your glue, servos, cf material, and more in one purchase.

Go through all the gallery photos in this thread. You will see tons of ideas pop out at you and should help guide you through the assembly. And, if you have additional questions, feel free to post them here in the thread of PM me.

Good luck!

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Jan 02, 2010, 10:12 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyShaw
Some pics. I will post some video too.
I like...but must admit the poster behind the F&L got my attention first!

Looking forward to the video.

-Lee
Jan 02, 2010, 01:00 PM
Reap the wild wind
Michael
In the U K depron is stocked by some companies who install/sell underfloor heating as it's used as an insulating layer. There may be similar applications in the USA so it's worth checking these sorts of companies as well as the local hobby stores. As Lee says, 5-6mm is the most usable thickness and if you can obtain larger sheets it saves having to join wings etc.
Take care with your choice of glue as regular CA or contact adhesives will melt foam before your very eyes! You can use hotglue and epoxy (heavy) foam safe CA (brittle) Gorilla or similar glue (can be a foamy mess) white wood glue (ideal for laminating larger areas) but my all round favourite is UHU Por which I think is sold under another name in the US. I'm sure somebody will pitch in with the answer
Head
Jan 02, 2010, 02:16 PM
3DHS 'native'
Damn Lee that sux.

Did you ever figure out what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Well guys...I have had a very interesting evening tonight (as you can see from the photo).

Put my MaxAmps 5S 4000mAh LiPo on the charger and went outside to do some fireworks with the family and friends. After we finished my wife heard a beeping in the garage and saw smoke near my chargers. I ran in there and found the LiPo leaking, expanding, smoldering, and ready to blow. Like McGyver, I ran inside, pulled the battery off the charger, removed the Astro Blinky and headed outside. As soon as I got to the backyard the sucker blew up in my hands. FOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHH!!! HUGE FIREBALL. Grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the flames.

Good news: everyone safe, garage still standing

Bad news: Wife pissed, lawn burnt, lost an expensive LiPo, chemical leak all over my charging table, and no reason to explain the failure.

Looking forward to a better 2010.

-Lee
Jan 04, 2010, 04:20 PM
ski bum
-deleted
Last edited by K2XR10; Jan 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: irrelevant
Jan 04, 2010, 11:37 PM
Slope Junky

Flying at Daves Beach

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoY4dqHAHvw
Jan 05, 2010, 12:16 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
SSSSSSaaaaaaa WWEEEEEEEET!!!

Probably the first time I've seen an F&L on a slope!!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a nice, strong airframe you got there.

-Lee
Jan 05, 2010, 02:37 PM
Fly to live. Live to fly.
Hey ScottyShaw ... Flying at Daves Beach ...

Thanks for the great video ... sounded like there was a considerable breeze. How does your F&L do with the wind?
Jan 05, 2010, 11:06 PM
Slope Junky
It fly’s good in the wind it was about 10-14 out of the west but daves is wsw so the landing had to come out of the south and there’s not a lot of landing strip out there. My best approach is from the north I can do my favorite high speed landing I take it up about 100” then motor off straight down to about 5” then I pull back let her glide to a nice soft landing. ……..SWEET

The first motor I had was kind a weak and I was doing a high speed pass and right in front of me the motor came off of the motor mount (Small screws) I quickly turned off the motor and glided her to a nice landing about 50 " down the way with the motor hanging from her bottom, I have never seen anything like that before, most of the time if not ALL the time they CRASH BAD.
Jan 06, 2010, 11:00 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

HL 400XT Sale - 01/06/10

I know most of you prefer other motors other than the 400XT. But since it is one of my favorites and is powering 5 of my 6 F&Ls, I wanted the new builders to know Hobby Lobby has them on sale for $20.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_skatty.htm

Let's not start a heated debate on which motor is better...let's just say that the 400XT is an acceptable motor for this plane and worth considering.

I've run mine with the Castle Thunderbird 18 and E-Flite 20 brushless ESCs turning an 8x6 or 9x5 GWS "HD" prop. Great little setup.

Cheers, -Lee
Jan 06, 2010, 01:09 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Nice flying there ScottyShaw!

My F&L is THE go-to plane when itis windy. Everything bu the 60 sized slimers will be grounded and I can still fly her!

Happy New Year all!

Jim
Jan 06, 2010, 01:17 PM
Reap the wild wind
Jim
you also need to try Dekan's Simple Delta or my Swing build as both are great windy day flyers.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867083
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1107048
Head
Jan 06, 2010, 09:05 PM
beemerdon
Okay, I printed out the plans and have a small amount of foam on hand to start cutting. But I'm like Michael in that I don't know where to go from here. I want to use a motor that has a prop saver with it or available for it so does that limit my choices? Cool plane!

Don

Quick Reply