Aug 02, 2007, 10:25 PM
Hey lee, this plane is too much fun! Really enjoying it. I've found the best all round prop for the esskay on it is a 8060dd on 3s. Not quite as fast as a 9050, but lasts much longer. Is the new one you're building a KF step wing?

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2007, 08:04 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Is the new one you're building a KF step wing?Paul
Paul,

All of my F&Ls are KF wings. This current one is being built with the step on the top of the wing. You're looking at the bottom side of the aircraft in the photo above. The KF step is hanging over the edge of the board (underneath).

I'm doubting I'll notice a difference in flight characteristics with the KF step on top. However, I told the fellas I'd give it a try.

-Lee
Last edited by YarSmythe; Aug 04, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Aug 03, 2007, 03:59 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Man...I am spending WAY too much time on this F&L vs. "real" work. That's the trouble with working at home...you get distracted! This plane keeps calling my name while I'm in my home-office. I swear I heard it scream "GET OVER HERE AND FINISH MY FUSELAGE!!". You know you need help when you start talking to your planes!

Anyhoo....here's some more progress. You can see the KF step on the top now. Today I decided to speed things up a little and attempt using CA for the top piece. I prefer to use GG (Gorilla Glue) for the top and bottom pieces....but I'm pretty good about NOT landing upside down. It seems pretty strong with the foam-safe CA. However, the bottom takes a beating so it's held together with GG (drying as we speak).

And, just a reminder about the bottom. Try using a strip of clear plastic (like the stuff used in encasing off-the-shelf products) along the bottom to protect it from landings. My original F&L bottom is literally 'sanding off'. The red one has the plastic strip and it is doing a great job of protecting the foam.

I cut the ailerons 2" deep on this one. Spacing was a little tight near the wing tips as the KF step (which is mid-wing) is less than 1/2" from the ailerons.

more to come...
Aug 03, 2007, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr

And, just a reminder about the bottom. Try using a strip of clear plastic (like the stuff used in encasing off-the-shelf products) along the bottom to protect it from landings. My original F&L bottom is literally 'sanding off'. The red one has the plastic strip and it is doing a great job of protecting the foam.

more to come...
You know what works great is a piece of cable tie cut and glued to the bottom of the fuse. Takes the abuse of landing nicely.
Aug 03, 2007, 08:44 PM

Waiting

While i'm waiting on UPS to restock my Depron and carbon i throught i would play around with my bridge some.
Aug 04, 2007, 02:31 PM

full fluselage

Well first off let me say what a nice plane, a well proven design..and that a lot of my fun in this hobby is takeing a proven design and doing mods, keeping things fresh. So that said ask and it will come, A full Fluseage Funder 'n Lightning..still waiting on my Depron to arrive but got started cutting my templates out, scaled up the wing to 52 inches and the other parts to match. got my block foam out and sanded out a fluselage, the wing will be 2 layers of 6mm Depron with carbon tubes and covered with ultracote a nice low temp covering. also was thinking about makeing it a pusher. or if i can find the right size spinner cuting off the nose and keeping it a puller. the fluseage top and bottom will be hollowed out to cut down on a little weight. and to hide all the radio equimpment, the top will be cut about 5 inches back from the nose and made into a big long hatch,
Aug 04, 2007, 02:42 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
randynsaudi,

You're going to make DanT a happy man! Just make sure to hide the wires inside.

Lee, I too work from home and know exactly how you feel.

-Tim
Aug 04, 2007, 03:17 PM
I am a happy man, I will love seeing all the pictures when done.
Thanks
Dan T
Oh,, how are you doing it? Hot wire setup? Looks 100% better already!!!
Aug 04, 2007, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randynsaudi
...A full Fluseage Funder 'n Lightning..still waiting on my Depron to arrive but got started cutting my templates out, scaled up the wing to 52 inches and the other parts to match. ...
Just curious, Randall. How did you scale the plans and how much time did it take to do it?

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Aug 04, 2007, 04:13 PM

scaled

had a 8 x 10 print of the parts and used your Scale & Tile,, used your conversion of the wing span i want and what it was in the 8 x 10.and worked with the Scale factor intill i got what i wanted..got to love this program, took more time to make a folder for all of my aircraft gif's and pdf files than anything else. now i can rescale a drawing or PDF in 15 or 20 sec..

Thanks Bill
Aug 04, 2007, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randynsaudi
had a 8 x 10 print of the parts and used your Scale & Tile,, used your conversion of the wing span i want and what it was in the 8 x 10.and worked with the Scale factor intill i got what i wanted..got to love this program, took more time to make a folder for all of my aircraft gif's and pdf files than anything else. now i can rescale a drawing or PDF in 15 or 20 sec..

Thanks Bill
You're very welcome, Randall.

I had originally asked because I wanted to know if you had had any trouble scaling the Funder'nLighting plan. I had vaguely recalled a problem with one PDF file (turned out it wasn't FnL; but was one of the others on this forum), i.e., not being able to use ScaleAndTile to scale up a PDF that has an owner/user password.

If you ever encounter this problem, you've no worries as long as you can "view" it in Reader. In this case, you just grab a screen snapshot, paste it into your favorite image editing program, save in one of the iText-compatible image formats, and you're "good to go" with ScaleAndTile. Alternatively, you could just use Image Magick Studio, available online (Google for it) to convert from locked PDF to GIF/JPEG/TIFF (or whatever), and then proceed from there.

BTW, your fuse looks great!

Cheers,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Oops! Wrong problem described above, although the solution is still applicable for the real problem with FnL_v1. The real problem was that it was generated with Adobe Illustrator 9.0. As I don't have it, I can't tell if the problem is a deliberate attempt by Adobe to make it difficult for other software to work with their files, or if the problem originates somewhere else. The problem is that the MediaBox of the FnL PDF does not obey the usual convention of locating the lower-left-hand corner of the MediaBox at the origin (0, 0) of the document space. Here's what the FnL PDF shows, when I examine it with GVim

/MediaBox [-1350 -540 1962 1332]

The workaround is the same as what I described above, i.e., paste a screen snapshot into your favorite image editor, save in an image format, and scale to suit from the image.
Last edited by segraves; Aug 04, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
Aug 04, 2007, 08:37 PM
New Flyer
I saw this a few weeks ago. I love the look of this plane.
I just hope mine flies.
14oz
BP21
11.1 1100 lipo or 8 cell nimh
Aug 05, 2007, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet418
I saw this a few weeks ago. I love the look of this plane.
I just hope mine flies.
14oz
BP21
11.1 1100 lipo or 8 cell nimh
I don't see any carbon in your tail or main wing? Or Kf wing? Top or Bottom?
Aug 05, 2007, 12:48 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Randy

I like the looks of a full fuse! When one of the guys here scaled up the Funder 'n Lighting we noted it lost some stability until he lengthened the the booms. It was totally unscientific,just trial and error. I don't know if anyone else has had similar results but you might fish around before going final on the booms.

Jim
Aug 05, 2007, 01:05 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

Funder 'n Lightning #3 - Completed and Flown!

I'm terrible when it comes to the last few steps on a build. I usually rush things 'cause I'm so eager to get the plane in the air. In this case, I just "had" to paint the plane before flying it...and it was really not necessary. It started off with a green wing/fuse and red tail. I quickly ran out of green paint and it looked awful. I opted to finish everything in red and, as you can see, it ain't very pretty. The Yippee! model looks great 'cause I forced myself to work very slowly. This one (not sure what I'm gonna call it yet) is an eye sore. Maybe I'll call it "Bubba".

So...enough about asthetics, let's talk about performance.

"Bubba" was completed today and weighed in at 13.2 oz. A little heavier than the Yippee! @ 12.8 oz. The other problem? He's tail heavy. The CG should still be around 2.5" from the leading edge and he's pushing 3". I pushed the TP1320 3S pack as far up as it could go but the plane still seems to drag his tail in flight.

As far as flying goes...he flew fine. No "major" differences between Bubba and Yippee!. It does appear that Bubba floats better at slow speeds. He seemed stable and landings were easier. However, during speedy flight (which is kinda the purpose of this aircraft)...I didn't care for Bubba as much as Yippee!. It's hard to put into words...but I really like the way Yippee! tracks in tight turns. I will say this for Bubba, the deeper ailerons (2") made rolls super fast and much more fun.

Building the F&L with the KF step on top did not prove to be a big improvement/change to me. Only slower flight appears better with it. I wonder if the mid-wing KF step on top is causing the tail-heavy flight characteristic and caused it to climb at high speeds.

Now, for my own personal recommendation on this build. I prefer working with Midwest CellFoam88 more than Dow FFF. Not only does it paint better...but it doesn't dimple as easy as FFF. Depron is also a good choice if you have a good source for it.

If I were to build any more of these, I think I'll stick with the setup on my Yippee! as it really is fast, easy to build, CF88 is much smoother and easier to paint, and it's just a fun little kit to fly around the park.

-Lee

...and some pics!
Last edited by YarSmythe; Aug 05, 2007 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply