Jul 30, 2007, 12:31 PM

My new build

It was the fastest plane I have ever build and came up very nicely It took me around 5 hours from start to the end .
I used chicken tray nose doublers, and for the vertical stabilizers, and meat trays for ailerons and elevator. I always used that stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2007, 02:22 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Smoke7,

Great job. Did you fly it yet? (I like your glasses in the shot too. Looks just like a face.)

I found a source for meat trays if interested.

If you poke around there, you'll find a bunch of different sizes, colors, etc...

-Tim
Jul 30, 2007, 02:59 PM
Glitch
I have a video camera but usually fly alone. I really need to get some video od the funder. This is such a simple design yet is fairly aerobatic even without rudder. As a matter of fact i'm in the process of cutting out another one. I'll enlarge the Stabs and elevators as well as lengthening the booms about an 1 1/2" to 2" to add rudders. Great design.

Steve
Jul 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
No did not have a chance yesterday it was dark already. I may try today.
Thanks for the link Tim, I save the trays when we buy chicken or meat, and once in a wile I am getting them from local Kroger store.
Jul 30, 2007, 05:30 PM
Who Put that Tree There?
I built it myself. If I were to have bought one new or used I would have paid around $5,000 to $12,000. Mine cost me around $600 to build. Thats including the computer and electronics. It has a large cutting area.
Check out all the threads on www.cnczone.com for information. My username is "planekrazie" there. Check out my photo album there also. The MHO (which is my avatar) was cut out on my cnc.
Later Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Krashlnd - Nice cut-outs. Wish I had a cutter like that. I don't even have a hand-held hot-wire cutter. Call me Mr. Xacto. How much is that sucker?

I flew my Funder #1 today. Still flies great. I really like the simplicity of the motor mount on this one. The square spruce stick mount supports the Himax 2812-850 motor perfectly. No fancy motor mount cutting required. It turns a 9x6" SF prop. I might find a 1000kv Himax to replace it but I'll wait until this motor falls off.
Jul 30, 2007, 07:05 PM
JelleB,
most of the motors at my LHS are at or above $45.00, about the same for a ESC. it's not really a price thing it's more a "I'm going to crash it so why put an expensive motor on it right now" thing until I know I can fly

troynh,
I guess I would start with a more suitable plane if I was spending a hundred or more, but cutting this thing out and gluing together is so fast and easy, Well if it crashes, I just spend a couple of hours building another. And hey Thanks for the link to the STC, I'll build one of those too!!!

I just hate the fact that I found the scratch built foamy forum, too many planes to little time..........It takes everthing I got to keep from going on the spad forum
Jul 31, 2007, 07:14 PM
Man I love this plane! Just got back from 3 flights with it. (Well over 20 flight so far.)

Lee, have you tried larger ailerons? On my next build, I'm going to extend them all the way to the end of the wing and possibly in 1/2"

-Tim
Jul 31, 2007, 10:15 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
Lee, have you tried larger ailerons?
Nope. I kinda like the look of them as they are. However, I 'may' try cutting them out to 2" deep on the #3 kit I'm building right now.
Aug 01, 2007, 09:56 AM
Finally it was quiet yesterday and my son and I went to fly, well what I can say my son was very excited and drain two batteries, I did not even have a chance to fly, but plane flew very stable and nice so I let him enjoy the fly.
I am going to add landing gear and wondering if you guys have any idea what would be the best place to mount rear wheel?, or maybe two of them?
Thanks.
Aug 01, 2007, 12:55 PM
Did you get it on video?
since there's no rudder, skip the wheel. Just use a couple pieces of wood as runners, to keep the foam from wearing.
Aug 01, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I would skip the rear wheel idea and just use a bead of hot glue under the rear fins.

Are you landing on the street or in grass?

-Tim
Aug 01, 2007, 03:06 PM
I am flying 3D's and usually off the street and flying over the grass, this is why he wants landing gears so he can take off and land on the street, he likes that better than launch off the hands. I will do as you guys recommended and add little peace of carbon rod. Thanks
Aug 01, 2007, 06:03 PM

Twins!

The two I just finished. Hope to dog fight soon Thanks for the great plane, I will report on the maiden Jim
Last edited by pawnking; Aug 01, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Aug 01, 2007, 06:53 PM
Post a video! You'll be the first to dogfight.

Great job.

-Tim
Last edited by troynh; Aug 01, 2007 at 07:53 PM.
Aug 02, 2007, 10:01 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
My CF arrived today (much earlier than expected) so I got straight to work.

If you look at the photo showing the stab, I use a small rotary cutter to make a groove into the foam. The CF "STRIP" (not rod) is inserted in the groove, flush to the surface, and positioned so the strip is vertical. This will add more than enough strength to the stab to keep it from flexing in flight. I've seen some people use balsa and CF rods....I wouldn't recommend it.

The tail is drying right now. Gorilla Glue takes 1-2 hours to harden. After that, things will go pretty quickly. I'm making the tail pushrod fuselage pieces while I'm waiting. She might be ready by Saturday morning.

-Lee

Quick Reply