Jul 27, 2007, 08:33 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
Lee, Where are you buying the cellfoam 88? Why not the wing?
My LHS usually carries 5mm CellFoam 88 but has been out of it for the past month or so. I recently discovered Amazon.com has it (through another vendor) for around the same price. I went with the blue FFF 'cause I had some lying around and I'm out of the cellfoam.

I need to run down to the hobby shop today and pick up some CF strips for the tail. Until then, I'm dead in the water.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
Thanks Lee... :-)

Planelover93,
Right aileron up, left aileron down = plane banks right.
Left aileron up, right aileron down = plane banks left.

-Tim
thanks
Jul 27, 2007, 04:55 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
It does. The real trick is to match each servo position so they use the same hole in the servo arm and the control arm on the aileron. You also need to insure the ailerons are level when both servos are plugged in and in the neutral position. Oh, and that they are moving the ailerons in opposite directions AND NOT REVERSED! (Sorry Tim, had to throw that one in.)

What type of transmitter do you own?

-Lee
Regular 4ch tx with servo reverse switches, i need to get a computer Tx
Jul 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
No you don't. I'm running a Laser 4 which is as basic as you can get. Just pick up a bunch of Y harnesses if you have multiple builds going at once.

-Tim
Jul 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
I saw this thread the other day and decided to jump in. I have all of my parts cut out of blue Dow protection board (I think this is what dow is using now instead of bluecore?) I have the spruce and carbon rod, just have to start gluing it together. I have the E-flight square motor mount and a 30amp esc I am going to pull out of my heli.I like the esskay motor,but I really don't want to wait for it in the mail, So I went to my LHS and they seem to have mostly AXI and E-Flight motors. my question is, what motor should I buy? I was thinking the park 400 would be best but I really don't have a clue when it comes to motors and props,(and would really like a cheaper alternitive than the E-flight stuff) so any sugestions would help alot. If it matters, this is not only my first scratch built plane, it is the first plane that I will be trying to fly ever. i have been getting plenty of sim time though.
Jul 30, 2007, 01:45 AM
I love this plane!!!!!! I saw this thread about 3 weeks ago and thought it would be an easy relaxing build. I had some 6mm depron laying around. This ia one of the BEST flying foamies I've ever built. With the 400XT, 10X5 APC and a 10c 1,250 pack it has unlimited verticle. Absolutely a blast. I've been flying the Funder in 15 to 20mph gusty winds and it handles very well. Amazing little plane.
I can fly this little baby when all the other planes need to stay indoors. With a 10X5 prop I'm pulling about 5.8 to 6 amps. I may try another one with the KF step on top. My plane seems to have more lift inverted with the step on the bottom. Any one else see this?
Jul 30, 2007, 02:22 AM
Time for another motto!
Antennahead: cheap motors are not available through your LHS, it's not the brand that makes them expensive, but your LHS' overhead/markup. You can buy much cheaper from UnitedHobbies (AKA Hobbycity?), but you will need the patience to wait for your package to arrive.
You need a motor in the 100-200 watt range, weighing around 50 grams and a kV of around 1400. A suitable towerpro bp-21 combo together with ESC and prop will set you back $15 plus shipping. How much would it cost you at your LHS?
Jul 30, 2007, 08:24 AM
Stephen,

Great looking plane! Any video?

Antennahead,

Have you thought about maybe somthing slower to start out with if this is your first plane? Maybe the STC? Not to discourage you about building the Funder but something that is slower with just an elevator & rudder is easier to get your feet wet with and it will encourage you to move on from there.
Just my $.02
Jul 30, 2007, 09:47 AM
Who Put that Tree There?
This is a great little plane. I cut mine and my sons out the lazy mans way. Here are some pics.
Jul 30, 2007, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
I would love to see someone make this plane with a full body to hide all the wires and battery.
How about it guys?
Come on guys, someone need to do this ( full body to hide wires and battery.)
Jul 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
Just maidened my Funder "n Lightning. Really love the way it flies. Made some very minor changes. Squared off the front and used plywood motor mount to secure my bm2410-08 engine. Also used a 1500 ma battery. (I know it is heavy) Total weight of plane is15 oz. Using an apc10x4.7 prop. It has unlimited vertical. Spins like a drill. Does very tight loops. Flys upside down as well as right side up. Am thinking about building another one with dihedral in it as an aileron
trainer. Any thoughts on that idea? Thanks again for the plan.
Beerman
Jul 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
hey DanT once it's in the air, who can see the gear???
Jul 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
hey DanT once it's in the air, who can see the gear???
Well,, I would, I fly passes right next to me all the time. Maybe 10' away all the time.
I do fly helicopters that way also.
I just love a clean ship.
And I think seeing you guys build this plane with all the different ideas you guys come up with, that someone just might do it.
Jul 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
Dan,

As I mentioned here before a few pages back.... Go for it and post your results.

-Tim
Jul 30, 2007, 12:27 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Krashlnd - Nice cut-outs. Wish I had a cutter like that. I don't even have a hand-held hot-wire cutter. Call me Mr. Xacto. How much is that sucker?

I flew my Funder #1 today. Still flies great. I really like the simplicity of the motor mount on this one. The square spruce stick mount supports the Himax 2812-850 motor perfectly. No fancy motor mount cutting required. It turns a 9x6" SF prop. I might find a 1000kv Himax to replace it but I'll wait until this motor falls off.

Quick Reply