Mar 24, 2009, 04:21 PM
jclassic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
I don't think that's gonna pull this along. An 8-9" prop might be good enough for speed but you'll want more thrust. I wonder if you can put a 10x4.5" on this motor with a 2-cell lipo. Who makes the motor?

The plane is aileron/elevator. Not too hard to fly but rolls are quick. When making turns you have to roll the plane into a bank and use elevator to keep it in the turn. If you have it flying fast...it can get kinda scary (and blurry!).

What have you got to lose??

-Lee
I have a tower-pro motor that has a lot of power,not sure of the model but sure it would turn a 10" prop

John
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hole digger
For reference my 26" funder flies on 2S 1000mah batteries with a Tower Pro 2410-08 with GWS 1080 props. It can go straight up and doesn't get warm. I mostly cruise so it may not work as well for the WOT guys but it has enough juice to launch at 3/4 throttle with a gentle underhand toss.
Mar 25, 2009, 04:55 AM
jclassic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRabbit
For reference my 26" funder flies on 2S 1000mah batteries with a Tower Pro 2410-08 with GWS 1080 props. It can go straight up and doesn't get warm. I mostly cruise so it may not work as well for the WOT guys but it has enough juice to launch at 3/4 throttle with a gentle underhand toss.
Thanks,seems like the tower pro should do the job ok.
Mar 25, 2009, 08:14 AM
A real WingNut
Ok guy's

Winds about 2mph this morning got a pretty good maiden flight. Actually the third flight others have been real short though 10+mph winds you know.
So, here's what I've got. As I stated the other day I am using a 3s 1250mah lipo with this motor
Hextronics
Kv: 1300rpm/v
Suggested Lipo: 3 cell (11.1 volts)

I have an 8060gws prop on it, but do not get any vertical, though it has pretty good speed. My question is this. Should I go with a 2s battery on this motor? It seems like I have to fight the weight of the battery hanging out there on the left side of the plane.

I did get a couple slow rools on low rates just want to make sure I get it trimmed out and flying better before I try anything really aerobatic.
Mar 25, 2009, 08:38 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck4
Should I go with a 2s battery on this motor? It seems like I have to fight the weight of the battery hanging out there on the left side of the plane.
Nah, stick with the 3S. How much does your plane weigh again? An 8x6", 1300KV, and 3S LiPo should be rockin'. You could try a 9x5"/9x6" prop. It'll give you more thrust but you'll lose pitch speed. What kind of prop are you using? GWS HD or APC SF?

My 400XT's are only 1000KV motors and with an 8x6" GWS HD prop and the F&Ls scream nicely.
Mar 25, 2009, 09:24 AM
A real WingNut
auw -batt 9.0 oz, and actually after going to get it to weigh I saw that I had changed the prop have a gws ep9070 orange prop on it. Hopefully the wind will stay down for a while today and I may try and get some video later, its only supposed to get up around 6-8mph today.
Mar 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:

I'm new, I'm still soaking this stuff up like a sponge
might even say you're a little..........

wet behind the ears?
Mar 25, 2009, 09:37 AM
Did you get it on video?
get it?

damp, wet.

ears, rabbit?

I kill me...
Mar 25, 2009, 09:59 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohikedive
get it?
Don't give up your day job...
Mar 25, 2009, 11:33 AM
IMO
The BW 1300kv is a very slow speed motor, I would change it out for a BW 1500kv running a GWS 8X4 with a 3 cell battery.I like the BW 1500kv more then the heavy 400XT. I don't even use my 400xt anymore . LOL
Mar 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hole digger
DanT, yours go over 60mph doesn't it? I think the 2S would work for someone who wants more of a cruiser than a rocket, give it the biggest prop it can handle and the vertical should be there. You can drop a lot of weight from that 3S battery.
Mar 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
A real WingNut
Thats what I was thinking when I posted the above. Seems to want to pull left, and it's slow. I want to speed it up a little but not have a rocket yet anyway. Still trying to get the feel for the sticks, kinda stiff fingers ya know? I can get a TowerPro 2408-21 would that be okay on this? With a 2s and say an 8x6.
Mar 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck4
... I can get a TowerPro 2408-21 would that be okay on this? With a 2s and say an 8x6.
I've been running 3s with a 2408-21 and an 8x3.8 APC SF (I know that might be pushing it... the GWS 8x4 also works well) and I love it. Great power, goes vertical and good run times.

I'm balancing right at the spar (biased towards the front of it), thrust angle perfectly straight (no down or left) and it pulls nice and straight.

Good luck!
Mar 25, 2009, 07:41 PM
A real WingNut
Well

My Funder is no more.

Did a couple loops, a roll or 2. And for some reason it started looking for something on the ground to kill.

It found it, cannot verify the exact species of creature yet. But, I think it may have been an early season Cotton boll weavil looking for a ride to Texas. Needless to say the world is free of one.

I know there was no problem with the design, way to many Funders out there flying fine. Guess I'll try one again later on. Think I may try a nutball, or Jerbear's hooter. I'm not real sure right now have an f22 to finish and a blustick over here on top of my second pc's monitor. Guess I'll go for one of them or maybe the Pawnee thats filling my wifes computer chair at the moment.

Lee once again thank you for a great design. I love P38's so I will be back over here again.
Mar 25, 2009, 08:22 PM
Quote:
DanT, yours go over 60mph doesn't it? I think the 2S would work for someone who wants more of a cruiser than a rocket, give it the biggest prop it can handle and the vertical should be there. You can drop a lot of weight from that 3S battery.
Just so you know,, I do like the BW 1500kv,,, but I'm not running it on my Funder and Lightning! I run the Hacker clone 20 20l on this plane or the Turnigy 2213/20 1050kv. What I'm trying to say, is the BW 1500kv on 3 cells will fly as good or better then the 400xt motor IMO and it is not as heavy.

Quick Reply