Mar 24, 2009, 04:06 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Busted - are you landing on grass or runway? My experience - grass will break a prop at least 50% of the time unless you do one of those "tail drag and flop" landings. Landing on a runway and I'm at like 95% success rate. Personally - never really like the prop saver on a high performance motor. Sometimes windmilling the prop helps keep it from getting stuck in the verticle position. Have you turned the break off on the ESC?

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2009, 10:38 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Busted - are you landing on grass or runway? My experience - grass will break a prop at least 50% of the time unless you do one of those "tail drag and flop" landings. Landing on a runway and I'm at like 95% success rate. Personally - never really like the prop saver on a high performance motor. Sometimes windmilling the prop helps keep it from getting stuck in the verticle position. Have you turned the break off on the ESC?

Jim
Landing on grass. I try to tail drag, its the flop that gets me. My motor break is off and my prop windmills on every landing. I don't land fast either. I am barely breaking the stall speed. I could probably catch it in the air if was more experienced and confident enough not to tattoo myself in the head... but I'm not. I flew yesterday in heavy winds. I headed into the wind for a landing and was barely moving forward at all and still the motor/ mount showed a little stress upon landing- it didn't come unattached, but I could tell it was affected. I notice I am the only one I have read about trying a 10" prop. I am about to go buy a 9" and see if i have better luck.
Mar 24, 2009, 10:47 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
My experience - grass will break a prop at least 50% of the time unless you do one of those "tail drag and flop" landings.
50% of the time?? Are you coming in at full throttle??

Since switching to the GWS HD props, I've had no problems at all. In fact, I've gone away from wobbly prop adapters and use the regular ones now. Take a look at my last video. That's how I land with every flight and have had no problems. In all of my flights (and I have more than 100), I've experienced only ONE prop break. Not trying to brag...but dat be da truth!

As for the 10" prop, I agree that it is too long. Try to get it down to an 8" or 9" prop.

-Lee
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Mar 24, 2009, 01:13 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
50% of the time?? Are you coming in at full throttle??

Since switching to the GWS HD props, I've had no problems at all. In fact, I've gone away from wobbly prop adapters and use the regular ones now. Take a look at my last video. That's how I land with every flight and have had no problems. In all of my flights (and I have more than 100), I've experienced only ONE prop break. Not trying to brag...but dat be da truth!

As for the 10" prop, I agree that it is too long. Try to get it down to an 8" or 9" prop.

-Lee
I barely keep it from stalling and I cut the throttle to zero way before I land and just float in, but the prop continues to windmill slowly.
Mar 24, 2009, 02:00 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Quote:
...Are you coming in at full throttle?? ...
Angry grass - or what passes for it. Actually, the Funder & Lightning has a better ratio. My GWS Corsair on the other hand....

Jim
Mar 24, 2009, 02:02 PM
jclassic1
I am a newcomer to rc flying having only 8 flights with my 20" nutball but I really want to have a go with this design.I like to build straight forward no nonsense foamies and the Funder falls into that perfectly.I haven,t read through all of the posts but enough to want to make a start.I am getting better with the nutball and now want an aileron plane.This one seems to fly so nice with both slow and fast capabilities that I feel confident to give it a go.
I want to use EPP in the build as I am not keen on using depron(breaks too easy)so may have to add a bit more carbon strenthening to keep thing rigid.As a novice I still crash(not so much now)so I am thinking of maybe a folding prop to help minimize breakages.
Has anyone made this as a pusher as the design seems ideal for it in that set-up.

Just put together a 22" nutball and plan to play with this until the Funder is ready.

Thanks for a nice style of foamy ,makes a change from what I have been building and trying to fly.

John
Mar 24, 2009, 02:31 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclassic1
Has anyone made this as a pusher as the design seems ideal for it in that set-up.
I'm mentally working through it but the hangup is the pusher prop keeps getting in the way of the elevator push rod. Still mulling over alternatives that are easy, bulletproof, and don't weigh a on.

Jim
Mar 24, 2009, 03:09 PM
jclassic1
Quote:
I'm mentally working through it but the hangup is the pusher prop keeps getting in the way of the elevator push rod. Still mulling over alternatives that are easy, bulletproof, and don't weigh a on.

Jim
I can see your problem-perhaps a light snake running down the boom might work if kept light.
Do you think this plane is too fast for someone like me with limited flying time.

John
Mar 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
John

The beauty of the F&L is that it can be flown fast or slow. Lee's video shows it best. With a larger, low pitch prop and a lower kv motor, she floats along - very neutral and an honest flyer. I've gone through more than my share because I over power them and push them beyond my skill - but I am getting better! Hard to tell if this would be a good second plane (first aileron) for you, build it and try it. The investment in either time or money is minimal and if it work - GREAT! If not, well you know what to work towards. The only drawback to the F&L is that since it is a profile plane, it can and does get hard to see sometimes. But slow keeps it close and visible.

Jim
Mar 24, 2009, 03:32 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
John

The beauty of the F&L is that it can be flown fast or slow. Lee's video shows it best. With a larger, low pitch prop and a lower kv motor, she floats along - very neutral and an honest flyer. I've gone through more than my share because I over power them and push them beyond my skill - but I am getting better! Hard to tell if this would be a good second plane (first aileron) for you, build it and try it. The investment in either time or money is minimal and if it work - GREAT! If not, well you know what to work towards. The only drawback to the F&L is that since it is a profile plane, it can and does get hard to see sometimes. But slow keeps it close and visible.

Jim
Its my second plane, second build, first with ailerons, and I have flown it just fine for about ~20 flights (some in heavy wind) and never crashed. Yes, very slow if you want, but very fast. This one is easy to build light and obviously has large wing area. Good luck! Post pics... before you try flying it.

Hebert (sounds like [A-BEAR] for you non-cajuns)
Mar 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Hey jon.
This was my first scratch build, second plane, and first ailerons plane.
Since then v built about a dozen planes. Half are in pieces now, and the rest don't fly near as good or fast, or are as durable. My funder is my favorite plane, and still flies best.

Go for it!

And props to lee for an amazing design!
Helifryer
Mar 24, 2009, 03:50 PM
jclassic1
Thanks lads for the enthusiasm,you are all right about giving it a try or I will never know.Get some EPP ordered and some carbon.Allready got templates made for the parts.

Thanks

John
Mar 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Do you think this plane is too fast for someone like me with limited flying time.John
John, define limited. If you've flown trainers with both high & low wings, then you're probably good to go. This is a "hands on" plane and goes where you point it.

One suggestion I might recommend to new builders is to consider a motor that spins a larger prop and add gear. If you can spec it to fly a 10" or 11" prop with only 4-5" of pitch it'll run nice and slow. The gear will not only help you keep the prop from hitting the ground but also lower the CG so it will want to stay upright. Just a thought anyway.

On the other hand...it flies super sweet the way it is.

Go for it. It's a super cheap and easy build. You can't go wrong.

-Lee
Mar 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
jclassic1
Quote:
John, define limited. If you've flown trainers with both high & low wings, then you're probably good to go. This is a "hands on" plane and goes where you point it.

One suggestion I might recommend to new builders is to consider a motor that spins a larger prop and add gear. If you can spec it to fly a 10" or 11" prop with only 4-5" of pitch it'll run nice and slow. The gear will not only help you keep the prop from hitting the ground but also lower the CG so it will want to stay upright. Just a thought anyway.

On the other hand...it flies super sweet the way it is.

Go for it. It's a super cheap and easy build. You can't go wrong.

-Lee
Thanks Lee,I am really taken by your design and keep watching the flight vidios wishing I could fly one like that.Well I won,t know until I try so yes this is my next plane.One thing is I only have 2 cell lipos and want to use my 1400kv motor .the prop for this is 8-9" so do you think this is ok if I build light.
Also I build with EPP so may have to use more carbon to support it and stop it being too flexy.My motor weighs 19grams but may get a 24gram motor if needed.
My flying so far is 8 flights with a 20" nutball and about the same with a rc converted FIK 80.No low wing experience as of yet,but your plane seems more mid-wing than low-wing so maybe I stand a chance of giving it a go.

Thanks

John
Mar 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
I only have 2 cell lipos and want to use my 1400kv motor .
I don't think that's gonna pull this along. An 8-9" prop might be good enough for speed but you'll want more thrust. I wonder if you can put a 10x4.5" on this motor with a 2-cell lipo. Who makes the motor?

The plane is aileron/elevator. Not too hard to fly but rolls are quick. When making turns you have to roll the plane into a bank and use elevator to keep it in the turn. If you have it flying fast...it can get kinda scary (and blurry!).

What have you got to lose??

-Lee

Quick Reply