Mar 20, 2009, 10:17 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
BustedBlades. did you use a tach to get those numbers?
I can't get anywhere close to those high numbers using my same motor with a good high power batteries. ( 9616 rpm's Apc 10x7??)
I just run my test again with a new Turingy C35-30 kv 1100 with a New Apc 10x7
I get 7,800 rpm's = 33 oz. of thrust and about 159.6 watts and about 51 mph.
I'm using real numbers here from a amp reader and tach,not what some company says there motor will do. I don't see how your motor could be turning about 2,000 more rpm's running the same prop.
Your not running a 4 cell battery are you?
I'm using Thunder Power V2 2200mAh 3 cells. For test, not on plane. I run a Thunber Power 1320 pro-lite on plane. And that battery is not a very high C rating battery.
I do all the calculations in my head.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2009, 12:37 PM
Quote:
I do all the calculations in my head.
Oh----- ok.
Mar 20, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hole digger
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohikedive
like a damp, rabbit shaped sponge?
Exactly
Mar 20, 2009, 01:43 PM
A real WingNut
Guys I just got some batts for my tach and with the 8X6 prop on my little motor I'm getting 7,000rpm out of it. Don't know what my thrust is on it no way to check that, need to get me a scale I can hang it on and check that.
Mar 20, 2009, 02:00 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck4
...with the 8X6 prop on my little motor I'm getting 7,000rpm out of it....
For about 14 oz thrust.
http://www.gobrushless.com/testing/t...calculator.php

Jim
Mar 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Oh----- ok.

Heheh! just kidding, just wanted to see the responses. I use a very rudimentary java based motor calc on the internet. If you have a program I'm sure it is more accurate. So what were the numbers you pulled for the Turnigy 3530- 1100KV with 10x7? Output (W), thrust, flat speed? I trusted it because I was able to sort of validated it by checking it against the actual power calcs for a motor. (I.E.- Amps X Volts X motor eff.= Wattage input to motor.) That seemed right so I assumed the thrust and prop speed data was right. Guess I need a better motor calculator, or I can just fly and not worry about it.

I got some great fly time in yesterday, about 6 packs. Still no one willing to video for me, my friends are all bums.

Hebert
Mar 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades
....still no one willing to video for me, my friends are all bums...Hebert
I feel the same way about my "friends". My son is only 4 so that's out of the question. I've got a contact who owns a Canon XL2 professional video camera. Hopefully I can buy him lunch one day if he wouldn't mind getting some higher quality shots of my F&Ls.

On a side note....called Horizon yesterday and they confirmed receipt of my DX7. It's going to be another week or so before it's shipped back. Since I didn't want to wait that long I ended up yanking the AR7000 Spektrum receiver out of my Piper Pawnee 40 and threw in a 72MHz receiver so I could fly. Weird to see an antenna flying out of the back of it!

Earlier this week I finished my Multiplex Gemini. Flies pretty good. Some little tweaks and trim detail to finish but otherwise a pretty quick and easy build. I spent WAY too much time trying to custom paint it. Next time I'm just going to dunk it in a tank of RIT!

Happy flying ya'll!

-Lee
Mar 22, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'm thinking of building this plane too.
I still have a towerpro 2409-12 with a 3s 1250 rhino battery and the 25 amp towerpro esc. Will this be a good setup for this one?
Just crashed my F-22 because the motor came loose :P
Mar 22, 2009, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaultvdb
I'm thinking of building this plane too.
I still have a towerpro 2409-12 with a 3s 1250 rhino battery and the 25 amp towerpro esc. Will this be a good setup for this one?
Just crashed my F-22 because the motor came loose :P
It will work,, but I don't like that motor at all.
There heavy, bad or small axle , that axle will bend by looking at it. All rhino batteries I have looked at are under power, and very heavy . ( Example , your Rhino 1250 is 113grams. ) ( My Thunder Power 1320 Is bigger and only weighs 86grams! )
Your Trowerpro 25 esc is heavy and only has a 1.5A Bec , so make sure you don't run standard servos or the Bec could burn up.
Next time your at Hobbycity ?
If your going to buy cheap, try this motor and Esc , I have some of these cheap esc and motors and they do work fine. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._19A_Outrunner
And this Esc, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller or this Esc will work just fine, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2A_BEC)___BESC And if you buy these ESC this is good to have also. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ogramming_Card
Last edited by DanT; Mar 22, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Mar 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
I use the TP 2409-12 and I agree they are heavy, inefficient and the prop shaft has the strength of overcooked linguine BUT - the power you get out of one is terrific. The 1600kv motor turning an APC 8*4 is my favorite combo. With the 2409-12 on the F&L you will find yourself a lonely flyer - when everyone else has gone home (or not come out) because of the wind, you can still rip it up. And at only $6 for the Turnigy copy, it's a sweet deal.

Jim
Mar 23, 2009, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
I use the TP 2409-12 and I agree they are heavy, inefficient and the prop shaft has the strength of overcooked linguine BUT - the power you get out of one is terrific. The 1600kv motor turning an APC 8*4 is my favorite combo. With the 2409-12 on the F&L you will find yourself a lonely flyer - when everyone else has gone home (or not come out) because of the wind, you can still rip it up. And at only $6 for the Turnigy copy, it's a sweet deal.

Jim
yes, my combo only costed me 20 dollar. but I have a question, the prop that came with it I read that it pulls 26 amps but my battery can only deliver 25 amps. Now, I also have a 8 x 4.3 propellor from gws, a very light one compaired to the one that came with it. Is this gws prop going to pull less amps?

And would I burn my bec with 3 HXT 900 servo's? And what can I do about it?

Tibo
Mar 23, 2009, 04:35 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Tibo

Yes - prop down to an 8*4, I would recommend an APC 8*4. The GWS 8043 prop is a slow fly prop and shouldn't be used for this motor (rev limited).

Regarding the servos - I've used the ESC with the combo with no problems using 9gram class servos.

The only caution I would offer is that this combonation of motor/prop on the F&L is VERY powerful and you don't need to fly WOT.

Jim
Mar 23, 2009, 06:40 PM
Fear is the mind killer
A 10" prop on this plane is a little too big. My prop sticks in the ground and pulls my motor/ mount from the nose about 1/2 the time. I don't want gear on it. I think I am going to try a 9x7 and see if that helps. I usually land very smoothly and it is even very hard to see any evidence of prop impact by watching it land. But when I go pick it up, I can usually tell the mount underwent some stress.

...Any other suggestions?

Hebert
Mar 23, 2009, 07:16 PM
Herbert, I use a prop saver with surgical tubing bands. I"ve never broken a prop or mount with this set up.

paul

Edit: whoops I just read back to your past posts and see you're running ~250 watts. Don't think a banded prop saver will handle that power.
Mar 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Herbert, I use a prop saver with surgical tubing bands. I"ve never broken a prop or mount with this set up.

paul

Edit: whoops I just read back to your past posts and see you're running ~250 watts. Don't think a banded prop saver will handle that power.
I took DanT's advice and got a better motor calculator and it gave me numbers more like DanT reported.
On a APC 10x7E

Input: 253W
Output: 185W
Thrust: 35oz
Speed: 57mph
RPMs: 7795

I am going to try a 9x6 and see if I still pop my motor mount, if so, i guess I will get landing gear.

Quick Reply