Jul 21, 2007, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
I would love to see someone make this plane with a full body to hide all the wires and battery.
How about it guys?
Is anyone thinking about building one with a full body?
I hope so,
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2007, 03:57 PM
Time for another motto!
CounterClockwise rotating props certainly do exist, UH even has some GWS 3blade ccw sets.
It is not that hard to make a mold for different prop, after all.
Jul 23, 2007, 11:14 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
im thinking since it has a big wing area i can add lights or smoke. what do you guys think?
Jul 23, 2007, 11:28 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
I would keep the weight down. Mine weighs in at 16.5 oz's with the battery and comes in rather hot. The most delicate part of the plane is the horizontal stab/elevator. There's a lot of stress around the edges where the spruce sticks are glued to the foam. Everything would depend on the componants used such as your motor/mount, battery, etc... If they are relativly light, go for it.

-Tim
Jul 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
Just one more.......
Here's mine, just finished tonight. No gear yet, still waiting on an order. Built from bullseye000's plans....... First Funder 'n' Lightning in Australia???
Jul 24, 2007, 09:40 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP

F&L #3, KF wing

Well, I'm gonna give that KF 'top' wing a try. Nothing fancy this time...just using some spare foam/parts lying around. I've taken the time to cut out a few templates of my design for future builds. Right now, I've got the wing glued together and the elevator cut out.

On this wing, I've extended the top fold-over about an inch but not quite to the halfway point of the wing chord. You really can't since it would put the wing rod over the ailerons.

My fins are not 'oval' as in the plans. Although, they're not entirely like the real P-38 either. Check out the attached photo for my design. My 'egg' shaped fins also lean backwards a bit.

Shouldn't be too much longer to get the rest built. I'll keep ya posted.

Sim69: Looking good!
Jul 24, 2007, 07:21 PM
Sim69,

Your going to love this plane!
Fast and simple.

-Tim
Jul 25, 2007, 11:03 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
does the y-harness work perfectly with the two servo aileron setup.
Jul 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by planelover93
does the y-harness work perfectly with the two servo aileron setup.
It does. The real trick is to match each servo position so they use the same hole in the servo arm and the control arm on the aileron. You also need to insure the ailerons are level when both servos are plugged in and in the neutral position. Oh, and that they are moving the ailerons in opposite directions AND NOT REVERSED! (Sorry Tim, had to throw that one in.)

What type of transmitter do you own?

-Lee
Jul 25, 2007, 03:07 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
In the worst case you may need to match the servos throws, some makes vary quite a lot....
Jul 25, 2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Lee... :-)

Planelover93,
Right aileron up, left aileron down = plane banks right.
Left aileron up, right aileron down = plane banks left.

-Tim
Jul 26, 2007, 10:40 AM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Some progress. These are the spruce spars on the 'bottom'. The KF step is underneath. The blue FFF on the rear is NOT the tail, it is only there to keep the spars level. The elevator and fins are shown (in white) at the back. The wing is blue FFF and the tail surfaces are Midwest Cellfoam 88 (which I prefer). Gorilla Glue is being used on the spars.

Like the weights? They're my own design. Aluminum 1" square tubing cut in 3" lengths...filled with melted lead. They're heavy, flat, right angled, and easy to make. I sold a couple of these at the last air show I attended. Anyone else interested?

-Lee
Jul 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
I must be doing something wrong!
Built f&l #2 in an attempt to reduce the weight, the first was was very sluggish, and plane #2 still seems to come out heavy
no scales to weigh model, but plane does not float as some others describe their f&l
came in hot for a landing last night, bounced a litte, and broke wing were spars attached to wing
oh well, build #3 or move on to something else, have to decide, think I will go see if possible to repair (patch) wing

bert-nc
Last edited by bert-nc; Jul 26, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Jul 26, 2007, 11:11 PM
Just one more.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
Sim69,

Your going to love this plane!
Fast and simple.

-Tim

If mine flys anything like yours did in that vid I'll be more than happy. So far bare airframe weighs 4oz-113grams.
Jul 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
Lee,

Where are you buying the cellfoam 88? Why not the wing?

Sim69,

With your modeling skills, I'm sure it will fly better than mine! 4oz is great. My AUW is no higher than 10.5 depending on my battery.

You should do a Australian theme paint job!

Quick Reply