JW Onyx (Louisville Area Soaring Society) - RC Groups
Jun 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
aka ben wilson
Build Log

JW Onyx (Louisville Area Soaring Society)

Hola! Ben Wilson here from the Louisville Area Soaring Society. I'm primarily a handlaunch guy, but I've got a soft spot for the big birds with long flights... I've owned only a handful of "bigger" ships in the past few years - a Super-V clone, a Majestic, the Polecat EZ Bubble Dancer and an Aegea Mantis that I've converted into a very Supra-esque machine, so I'm not a total noob, but I've still got some learning to do.

I fly in the OVSS, and last year I managed to win th "Rookie of the Year" award, presented to me by Marc "OVSSBoss" Gellart, which was a coupon from SoaringUSA.com. Normally I'm a DIY kinda guy, but when I saw SoaringUSA announce the redesigned JW (Joe Wurts) Onyx, I decided to make the jump to a molded plane! A tough decision, as I'd have to scrimp and save and pull in a little freelance web work to offset the cost (not to mention "relationship capital" expenditures!)

Why the Onyx JW?
I'm a big fan of Mark Drela's work on the Supra, and I've flown a litany of his designs and airfoils (including the molded Kennedy Supra), but I decided I'd give Joe's airfoils a shot as I already have a Supra-esque plane in my quiver. Having flown side-by-side with Mark and Joe at handlaunch contests, they are both excellent pilots, but they differ in their flying styles. Mark's designs seem to emphasize float over run, whereas the Icon seems to do the opposite. My Aegea Mantis is certainly more of a floater (and I love it!), but I wanted to branch out a bit...

My "specialty" (if I have one) when flying thermal-duration and handlaunch is working small stuff low to the ground, so I am thinking the JW Onyx will help me expand my soaring skills. I say this without necessarily knowing the characteristics of the airfoil, so we'll see how close I get to my assumptions.

SoaringUSA.com
I've got to give props to Bob and Annette at SoaringUSA for A) Sponsoring the OVSS and B) Being good people! They were very helpful and attentive, even for a goober with a coupon like me

Gear Selection
I took stock of some of the ramblings on the RCSE and a few of the build logs here on RCGroups, and ended up settling on:

4 x Airtronics 94761Z Digitals (Flaps, Rudder, Elevator)
2 x Futaba S3150 Slim Digitals (Ailerons)
1 x Hitec Supreme IIS 8

The Plane!
The JW Onyx showed up earlier than expected via UPS, but with a pretty good dent in the side of the box - SoaringUSA doesn't fool around with their boxes, either! It's sturdy double cardboard with wood reinforcement and plenty of bubble-wrap. Still, UPS managed to gouge - though luckily in a non-critical area.

I had asked Annette @ SoaringUSA about colors, and they get what they get from the manufacturer, but I requested that I just not get the purple/yellow combo seen here (no offense!). I received #14, mostly white with red tips and thick red stripes on the underside of the wing and elevator.

More later...
Weights
I'm a nerd about weights, so I'll be weighing everything when I get a chance!

Wiring Harness
I just recently ran out 3-conductor wire, so I ordered some twisted and flat stuff from Dymond, and I've got a pair of whiz-bang connectors (as seen on Dave Hauch's website) from a buddy, so I'll be kicking that one out as well...

Ballast System
The JW Onyx comes with a 16" long kevlar tube for ballast, so I've got to figure something out for that as well. THinking about brass tubing filled with epoxy and shot... My first ballast system as well!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2007, 12:53 PM
Jeff Carr
Hey Ben

Looks likw we will be the giinea pigs on this side of the Mississippi

Jeff
Jun 27, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hi Ben,

My OnyxJW is your's little brother. I am #15.
Keep posting !!!

-Kai
Jun 27, 2007, 02:30 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Ben -

Mine's the same color as yours is. We will need to watch it when we're in the same thermal.

I'm thinking that you're gonna like this thing. I'm real happy with mine. Seems like it has the good features of Joe's and Mark's stuff rolled into one plane.
Jun 27, 2007, 03:19 PM
aka ben wilson
Rob - I'll try to be the guy on top, OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robglover
Ben -
Mine's the same color as yours is. We will need to watch it when we're in the same thermal.

I'm thinking that you're gonna like this thing. I'm real happy with mine. Seems like it has the good features of Joe's and Mark's stuff rolled into one plane.
Jun 27, 2007, 03:43 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelocust
Rob - I'll try to be the guy on top, OK?
Yeah. Good luck with that Ben.
Jun 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
aka ben wilson

Dry weights!

[PHP]
JW Onyx #14 Weights
Elevator Left 33g
Elevator Right 31g
Elevator Rod & Pin 4.8g
Tip Left 248g
Tip Right 250g
Center 680g
Fuselage 294g
Flap Servo & Frame (2) 52g Airtronics 94761Z
Elev/Rudder Servos 52g Airtronics 94761Z
Ail Servo & Frame (2) 52g Futaba S3150
CBP1400 2/3 Battery 96.6g
Hitec Supreme IIS 8 28.5g
TOTAL 1821.9g
64.26oz[/PHP]

Less fuselage servo mounting, glue, wiring, balancing weight, etc.
I'm hoping for just under 70z (maybe less!)
Last edited by thelocust; Jun 29, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
Jun 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Based on your report confirms what I'd be looking for.... Now to convince Santa of that... lol

Kurt
Jun 29, 2007, 12:49 PM
PNF
subscribed
Jun 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
aka ben wilson

Photos!

A bunch of photos for you. Made while I was weighing it all.

I got my servo frames from Craig Greening at ServoFrames.com, and my battery pack from CheapBatteryPacks.com

The Futaba S3150 servos in their frames just barely fit in the tip servo wells.

More later!
Jun 30, 2007, 12:38 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Hi Ben, nothing about your Onyx, but I too really enjoy working low level stuff, much more fun/exciting/challenging to me than hooking up after a 500-600 foot launch.
Dont fly much thermal now but when I did rarely flew off anything other than a very short start/bungee, found it much more fulfilling to get out from down low. Good luck w/your new plane.
Walter
Jun 30, 2007, 01:02 AM
PNF
That plane looks a little rough on the fit and finish, but CF wipers??? Now THAT is trick. I'd love one of these planes.
Jun 30, 2007, 08:47 AM
Thermal Junkie
Quote:

I had asked Annette @ SoaringUSA about colors, and they get what they get from the manufacturer, but I requested that I just not get the purple/yellow combo seen here (no offense!). I received #14, mostly white with red tips and thick red stripes on the underside of the wing and elevator.

It's funny..... when I ordered #17 from Soaring Bob, I told them just don't send me Red and White.
Jul 01, 2007, 05:48 PM
aka ben wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorys
It's funny..... when I ordered #17 from Soaring Bob, I told them just don't send me Red and White.
It all works out in the end!

What do you guys use for wing connectors? I'm thinking about using 3-pin Deans connectors.
Jul 01, 2007, 05:59 PM
Ex Hillhog
Quote:
What do you guys use for wing connectors? I'm thinking about using 3-pin Deans connectors.
Hey Ben,
Yep, the 3-pin Deans work great for the tip connections.
Nice looking ship you got there!!

-Tauno

Quick Reply