Jul 11, 2007, 09:36 PM

possible bow plane fix

hey guys ive been a member for a while and find myself mezmerised by the springers building one very soon,,,i was readig about the bow plow problem and figured i would throw this in there. i built a tug with planing problems both at the bow and stern,,,,40 inch scratch built with twin 18volt drill motors,,, i designed this servo controlled kort plane for both sides, the korts were both steerable and the flex pushrods (shown in the illustration) allowed standard steering while allowing full reverse and forward trim while under power, the korts did steer together not independantly. this allowed me to trim whenever i needed too not just have a fixed angle plane or fin.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2007, 09:47 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
I think what should be mentioned at this point, is that Springers are
supposed to run horribly, back up horribly, and steer horribly.

That way the competitions place all the captains on a level playing field.

Modified Springers are obviously exempt, but you have to remember, you are
trying to put perfume on a pig.
Jul 11, 2007, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
I think what should be mentioned at this point, is that Springers are
supposed to run horribly, back up horribly, and steer horribly.

That way the competitions place all the captains on a level playing field.

Modified Springers are obviously exempt, but you have to remember, you are
trying to put perfume on a pig.
Could not have said it better....these boats were designed to be BEHIND a barge.

A planing tug? Huh?
Jul 11, 2007, 10:44 PM

correction

ok i did misspeak when i said planing i should have said plowing or diving
Jul 11, 2007, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks
ok i did misspeak when i said planing i should have said plowing or diving
Here's a real one I ran for six years, without the barge in front she would also wet her foredeck...
Jul 11, 2007, 10:51 PM
Here's another one--taken by my mom-in-law yesterday...

(OMG the paint--how they've let her go)
Jul 12, 2007, 12:03 AM
That almost looks like Pt. Richmond, CaptBill... ???
Jul 12, 2007, 02:27 AM
can you land on that ?
CaptBill, you get dock key and we will muster there with paint and brushes and give your old boat a make-over...or at least the owners and crew a tongue-lashing. Umi, you bring the pig perfume. CaptBill your Springer looks great, well done. I hope she brings you happy memories.
Jul 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Umi again pointed out what a few builders have seemingly overlooked, or perhaps ignored, and that is the Springer is a one-design boat.

Its handling may be rather bad, to put it mildly, but that puts all the skippers on thir toes---.

The real enjoyment comes from what has been created ABOVE the waterline---.
Jul 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
That almost looks like Pt. Richmond, CaptBill... ???
Nope, Tiburon; Paradise Cay on S.F. Bay. Just south of Larkspur, Marin County.
Jul 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hee hee, I know that area too!
Last edited by Aerominded; Jul 12, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Jul 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Umi again pointed out what a few builders have seemingly overlooked, or perhaps ignored, and that is the Springer is a one-design boat.
A great opportunity for a new boater and/or scratch builder to try it out and/or challenge their abilities. If it matters to anyone....I am enjoying myself immensely
Jul 12, 2007, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy
I am enjoying myself immensely
Ahhh, Springer magic! I think I need to build another one! These are great little boats!

Thanks to the folks in the PNW for getting this started!!!
Jul 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Ahhh, Springer magic! I think I need to build another one! These are great little boats!

Thanks to the folks in the PNW for getting this started!!!
Ah, yes, Aero, and another occasion for us to partake of another beer, or glass of wine---.

Or how about both---?
Jul 13, 2007, 09:49 PM
USA'd ex Brit

Musings from the test pool Pt 4

The wing was cut off after Pt 3 and was re attached at a steeper angle as Aero suggested. The bottom of the wing is now parallel with the bottom of the hull.

The test facility, the apartment complex pool, was quite choppy tonight ( swimmers!) but Scoot managed to ride the waves rather well.

The wing does seem to have some effect, keeping the bow higher for a longer period until the water builds between the knees and floods the fore-deck.. even with the fore-deck awash (over the bulwarks ) Scoot didnt seem to want to dive to the depths...
I think it needs to be tested on calmer waters to see if the wing will allow the bow to climb the bow wave rather than plough through the choppy water...

Quick Reply