Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 22, 2019, 10:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6
Just ordered some EPP....thanks.
Not a problem, hope it works out for you.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2019, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Bob Smith Industries has a product called Foam-Cure specifically made for EPP foam. It's really good for a lot of things even beyond EPP. Between that, Foam Tac and hot glue I'm pretty well covered.
I've confirmed with BSI and my own experience that Foam-Cure works with EPP/EPO/EPS/XPS all equally well. And with the Hobby Lobby coupon, it's about 1/4 the price of Foam-Tac. I also like that Foam-Cure is somewhat thinner so I won't fall asleep waiting for it to come out of the bottle like with Foam-Tac...
Oct 30, 2019, 01:32 PM
Registered User
StatGSR's Avatar
continuing to buy foam-tac from the 2oz bottle is a rookie mistake, never will i ever again. that said i should pick up some bsi foam-cure to play with, depending on the joint it may make more sense than foam tac.
Oct 30, 2019, 02:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR
continuing to buy foam-tac from the 2oz bottle is a rookie mistake, never will i ever again. that said i should pick up some bsi foam-cure to play with, depending on the joint it may make more sense than foam tac.
1) I've only ever seen Foam-Tac in 1oz tubes or 2oz bottles. If you know of a larger option, I'd like to hear about it. Even Beacon's website doesn't show another option beyond the tiny super glue tube size or the regular 1oz tube.

2) The only difference I've thus far noted between the two is that BSI Foam-Cure is noticeably thinner than Foam-Tac. To me, that's a GOOD thing because squeezing the blasted Foam-Tac bottle for long periods trying to get it to come out hurts my hands. A light touch with the Foam-Cure bottle will ensure you don't deliver too much. If you use the contact cement method, you shouldn't notice any major differences.
Oct 30, 2019, 04:03 PM
Registered User
StatGSR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914
1) I've only ever seen Foam-Tac in 1oz tubes or 2oz bottles. If you know of a larger option, I'd like to hear about it. Even Beacon's website doesn't show another option beyond the tiny super glue tube size or the regular 1oz tube.

2) The only difference I've thus far noted between the two is that BSI Foam-Cure is noticeably thinner than Foam-Tac. To me, that's a GOOD thing because squeezing the blasted Foam-Tac bottle for long periods trying to get it to come out hurts my hands. A light touch with the Foam-Cure bottle will ensure you don't deliver too much. If you use the contact cement method, you shouldn't notice any major differences.
no what i was implying is that the key is to get the 1oz tubes or the smaller field pack tubes when it comes to foam tac, not only is the bottle a pain to work with and keep clean, but the glue will go bad in 6 months just due to the exposure to air within the bottle. I have great luck with the 1oz tubes.

like i said i need to pick up some bsi, but even they say its not flexible enough for hinges like foam tac, but like you mentioned, for the cost savings alone, it sounds like using BSI any time it would work just as well as foam tac would the the financially responsible way to go.
Oct 30, 2019, 04:07 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914
1) I've only ever seen Foam-Tac in 1oz tubes or 2oz bottles. If you know of a larger option, I'd like to hear about it. Even Beacon's website doesn't show another option beyond the tiny super glue tube size or the regular 1oz tube.

2) The only difference I've thus far noted between the two is that BSI Foam-Cure is noticeably thinner than Foam-Tac. To me, that's a GOOD thing because squeezing the blasted Foam-Tac bottle for long periods trying to get it to come out hurts my hands. A light touch with the Foam-Cure bottle will ensure you don't deliver too much. If you use the contact cement method, you shouldn't notice any major differences.
BSI hinges are noticeably stiffer, I found. YMMV

Beacon offered to bottle me larger quantities but it's not a standard product. I was at the facility picking up an order and walking around with the VP. It was because of the amounts I buy and use. I still would have refilled the 2oz bottles for actual use. Anything bigger is too unwieldy. To be honest the thickening would be less with a 2oz tube instead of the bottle. The airspace in the bottle is the enemy. It outgases and is irreversible. No airspace issue in a tube.
Oct 31, 2019, 02:17 PM
Blue Skies
hifinsword's Avatar
I switched to Foam-Cure over Foam-Tac in early 2017 mainly due to cost. You get twice as much for half the price. It suits most of my needs for some applications. But most of the time I'm using Gorilla Glue. It sands better and fills in voids if that's what you need. I have found Foam-Cure cures harder than what I remember about Foam-Tac. After a few weeks it gets like glass. I've used it on pin hinges but use epoxy on them now when I need to. I had a few pull out with Foam-Cure. The Foam-Cure at HobbyTown is made by BSI.
Don
P.S. I've never had a bottle of Foam-Cure harden in the bottle and I buy the 2oz size.
Oct 31, 2019, 10:47 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
I switched to Foam-Cure over Foam-Tac in early 2017 mainly due to cost. You get twice as much for half the price. It suits most of my needs for some applications. But most of the time I'm using Gorilla Glue. It sands better and fills in voids if that's what you need. I have found Foam-Cure cures harder than what I remember about Foam-Tac. After a few weeks it gets like glass. I've used it on pin hinges but use epoxy on them now when I need to. I had a few pull out with Foam-Cure. The Foam-Cure at HobbyTown is made by BSI.
Don
P.S. I've never had a bottle of Foam-Cure harden in the bottle and I buy the 2oz size.
BSI is well known for doing private label glues (CA especially). Its all the same just a local label


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great 'Links to Free Plans' Thread! tim hooper Foamies (Kits) 194 Jun 08, 2011 12:59 AM
Yippee! Helicopter building tips and tricks - class 101 Happymcc Micro Helis 25 Oct 29, 2008 12:40 AM
Yippee! Please post your links to free plans HERE! CactusJackSlade 3D Flying 12 Oct 08, 2004 01:30 PM
The Great 'Links to Free Plans' Thread! (split by moderator) Zachary Foamies (Kits) 6 Oct 01, 2004 09:46 AM
EPP Building Tips Wanted jolive Foamies (Kits) 6 Jun 12, 2002 05:56 AM