This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 22, 2019, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6
Just ordered some EPP....thanks.
Not a problem, hope it works out for you.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2019, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Bob Smith Industries has a product called Foam-Cure specifically made for EPP foam. It's really good for a lot of things even beyond EPP. Between that, Foam Tac and hot glue I'm pretty well covered.
I've confirmed with BSI and my own experience that Foam-Cure works with EPP/EPO/EPS/XPS all equally well. And with the Hobby Lobby coupon, it's about 1/4 the price of Foam-Tac. I also like that Foam-Cure is somewhat thinner so I won't fall asleep waiting for it to come out of the bottle like with Foam-Tac...
Oct 30, 2019, 01:32 PM
continuing to buy foam-tac from the 2oz bottle is a rookie mistake, never will i ever again. that said i should pick up some bsi foam-cure to play with, depending on the joint it may make more sense than foam tac.
Oct 30, 2019, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR
continuing to buy foam-tac from the 2oz bottle is a rookie mistake, never will i ever again. that said i should pick up some bsi foam-cure to play with, depending on the joint it may make more sense than foam tac.
1) I've only ever seen Foam-Tac in 1oz tubes or 2oz bottles. If you know of a larger option, I'd like to hear about it. Even Beacon's website doesn't show another option beyond the tiny super glue tube size or the regular 1oz tube.

2) The only difference I've thus far noted between the two is that BSI Foam-Cure is noticeably thinner than Foam-Tac. To me, that's a GOOD thing because squeezing the blasted Foam-Tac bottle for long periods trying to get it to come out hurts my hands. A light touch with the Foam-Cure bottle will ensure you don't deliver too much. If you use the contact cement method, you shouldn't notice any major differences.
Oct 30, 2019, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914
1) I've only ever seen Foam-Tac in 1oz tubes or 2oz bottles. If you know of a larger option, I'd like to hear about it. Even Beacon's website doesn't show another option beyond the tiny super glue tube size or the regular 1oz tube.

2) The only difference I've thus far noted between the two is that BSI Foam-Cure is noticeably thinner than Foam-Tac. To me, that's a GOOD thing because squeezing the blasted Foam-Tac bottle for long periods trying to get it to come out hurts my hands. A light touch with the Foam-Cure bottle will ensure you don't deliver too much. If you use the contact cement method, you shouldn't notice any major differences.
no what i was implying is that the key is to get the 1oz tubes or the smaller field pack tubes when it comes to foam tac, not only is the bottle a pain to work with and keep clean, but the glue will go bad in 6 months just due to the exposure to air within the bottle. I have great luck with the 1oz tubes.

like i said i need to pick up some bsi, but even they say its not flexible enough for hinges like foam tac, but like you mentioned, for the cost savings alone, it sounds like using BSI any time it would work just as well as foam tac would the the financially responsible way to go.
Oct 30, 2019, 04:07 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914

BSI hinges are noticeably stiffer, I found. YMMV

Beacon offered to bottle me larger quantities but it's not a standard product. I was at the facility picking up an order and walking around with the VP. It was because of the amounts I buy and use. I still would have refilled the 2oz bottles for actual use. Anything bigger is too unwieldy. To be honest the thickening would be less with a 2oz tube instead of the bottle. The airspace in the bottle is the enemy. It outgases and is irreversible. No airspace issue in a tube.
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL
Oct 31, 2019, 02:17 PM
Blue Skies
I switched to Foam-Cure over Foam-Tac in early 2017 mainly due to cost. You get twice as much for half the price. It suits most of my needs for some applications. But most of the time I'm using Gorilla Glue. It sands better and fills in voids if that's what you need. I have found Foam-Cure cures harder than what I remember about Foam-Tac. After a few weeks it gets like glass. I've used it on pin hinges but use epoxy on them now when I need to. I had a few pull out with Foam-Cure. The Foam-Cure at HobbyTown is made by BSI.
Don
P.S. I've never had a bottle of Foam-Cure harden in the bottle and I buy the 2oz size.
Oct 31, 2019, 10:47 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
I switched to Foam-Cure over Foam-Tac in early 2017 mainly due to cost. You get twice as much for half the price. It suits most of my needs for some applications. But most of the time I'm using Gorilla Glue. It sands better and fills in voids if that's what you need. I have found Foam-Cure cures harder than what I remember about Foam-Tac. After a few weeks it gets like glass. I've used it on pin hinges but use epoxy on them now when I need to. I had a few pull out with Foam-Cure. The Foam-Cure at HobbyTown is made by BSI.
Don
P.S. I've never had a bottle of Foam-Cure harden in the bottle and I buy the 2oz size.
BSI is well known for doing private label glues (CA especially). Its all the same just a local label
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL
Nov 17, 2019, 07:51 AM
There's magic in those wings !

Foam density .. which is which ??!!!

Hi

I think there are two standards for EPP foam densities ... in Asia it is 30 g/l , and 45 g/l, but in USA there is 1.3# , and 1.9# ...

The question is is 1.3 lb/ft3 and 1.9 lb/ft3 ?? Which equals 20 g/l and 30 g/l respectively

Thanks a lot in advance

Khaled
Nov 17, 2019, 03:49 PM
Yes,
1.3# = 1.3 lb/ft3 = 20 g/l
1.9# = 1.9 lb/ft3 = 30 g/l
2.8# = 2.8 lb/ft3 = 45 g/l

For RC stuff it seems like 1.9 is the most popular. I always found 1.3 to be a bit floppy, but it works great for parts that don't need the stiffness or strength to help keep things lite.

I have not seen 2.8 really used for RC. I suspect it it s bit on the heavy side.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:57 PM
I use 1.3# all the way. I only make light weight gliders, but even at 2 meters, a thin airfoil wing can be made flight worthy using some carbon reinforcing and covered with 3 mil di laminating film!
Nov 18, 2019, 06:29 AM
Guys ... You're awesome !! .. I've been trying to get this information for so long, thank you for helping me out ...

I'm into Ornithopters ... Flapping flights ... and EPP is usally to make the wings or part of the wings ... flexbility of the trailing edge is needed to provide thrust ... and a bit of stiffness to form the camber at the leading edge is needed as well ... while keeping the weight as low as possible because the heavier the flapping wing the heavier the load on the gearbox ...

Greatly appreciated !!

Khaled
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Nov 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 12:13 PM
I need 3mm 45 g/l epp sheet ... and I'm having a hard time finding it online .. Vortex rc from India have them but they don'r respond to E-mail inquiries unfortunately

Any lead is greatly appreciated

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Nov 19, 2019, 01:45 AM
I recently did a search for a friend and found these sites that looked like they were still carrying EPP in the US. Shipping EPP can get pretty expensive, so they might not be viable if you are somewhere else.

https://graysonhobby.com/9mm-white-e...-3-sheets.html
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ets_p_162.html
http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp...cff3238f6583df
https://windcatcherrc.com/product/9m...k-epp-36-x-24/
http://www.wmparkflyers.com/EPP-FOAM...dle_p_206.html
Nov 19, 2019, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse
I recently did a search for a friend and found these sites that looked like they were still carrying EPP in the US. Shipping EPP can get pretty expensive, so they might not be viable if you are somewhere else.

https://graysonhobby.com/9mm-white-e...-3-sheets.html
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ets_p_162.html
http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp...cff3238f6583df
https://windcatcherrc.com/product/9m...k-epp-36-x-24/
http://www.wmparkflyers.com/EPP-FOAM...dle_p_206.html
Thank you very much

Khaled

Quick Reply