This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 13, 2019, 10:51 PM
windcatcherrc sells 1.3# EPP 2" x 24" x 36" in black or white and many other thickness'
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2019, 01:12 AM
EPP Seller and Kit Manufacture
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
windcatcherrc sells 1.3# EPP 2" x 24" x 36" in black or white and many other thickness'
Thanks Gstreaks.
You can find my store at
www.windcatcherrc.com

If you are buying in large quantity, please contact me directly so we can work things out.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
-Lee
Jan 23, 2019, 02:49 PM

Pink foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightofPhx
My local Home Depot does not carry 1/2 inch pink foam (xpd) that the flying wings i want to build call for. They do have 1/2 inch in xps - has anyone built with this stuff?

Does anyone have a Menards store near them ? I live in northeast Indiana and Menards carries 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch pink foam in 4 x8 sheets.
I cut foam sailplane wings and also am going to soon start on a 96 inch Monocoupe 90A using several thicknesses.
IT will be built using aset of IkonNwst plans and I will also start on a 100 inch span T-28 I purchased plans for on Ebay
I will cut the wings from lamintaed 2 inch pink foam panels.
The same method for the Monocoupe.

Both airplanes will be almost entirely foam.

My ideas came from "Building With Foam" by Keith Sparks.

You can visit his website at www.parkflyerplastics.com

You can cut a 1/2 inch thick sheet down to 1/4 inch

Ed
Jan 29, 2019, 09:51 PM
Lead On, O King
Thanks, Wind Catcher RC. I received some nice 2" thick EPP foam today in good condition. Excellent buying experience.
Feb 03, 2019, 05:57 PM
EPP Seller and Kit Manufacture
Spectra, you are very welcome. Thank you for your business. Great to hear you got the foam in good condition. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Feb 14, 2019, 03:07 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Is there any possibility out there of tracking down 1mm and thinner foam? I'm using Vector Board for parts on AMA and FAI indoor free flight gliders, but it doesn't have the greatest stiffness to weight ratio. We used to use Durobatics for some of the parts on these gliders, but that stuff is long gone. Many fliers have resorted to grinding down the core material from foamboard, but that's not really suitable for a kit, and I'm trying to produce kits to help newbies get started. My gut instinct is that even EPO would be stiffer than Vector Board.
Feb 14, 2019, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
Is there any possibility out there of tracking down 1mm and thinner foam? I'm using Vector Board for parts on AMA and FAI indoor free flight gliders, but it doesn't have the greatest stiffness to weight ratio. We used to use Durobatics for some of the parts on these gliders, but that stuff is long gone. Many fliers have resorted to grinding down the core material from foamboard, but that's not really suitable for a kit, and I'm trying to produce kits to help newbies get started. My gut instinct is that even EPO would be stiffer than Vector Board.
Tops of foam food containers. This is made from them.

Pete
Feb 15, 2019, 09:44 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteohms
Tops of foam food containers. This is made from them.

Pete
More work than hotwiring, and an inferior result, to be honest. Frankly all I really want is a light, thin, traditional foam. Heck, the stuff Eflite uses for their flying surfaces on UMX planes would be awesome.
Feb 15, 2019, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfinn
More work than hotwiring, and an inferior result, to be honest. Frankly all I really want is a light, thin, traditional foam. Heck, the stuff Eflite uses for their flying surfaces on UMX planes would be awesome.
Joshua,

That Tigermoth was 30” wingspan and it was made from 8” squares of “takeout tops” taped together with scotch tape. I assure you it was not an inferior result. One of my favorite planes of all time. CD rom motor was too much power so I flew it less than half throttle. I agree that the Eflight foam is much better, but my experiment with takeout foam was a success.

Pete
Feb 15, 2019, 11:08 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship Pete, and remember... no good deed goes unpunished. [; ^)
Feb 15, 2019, 11:27 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteohms
Joshua,

That Tigermoth was 30” wingspan and it was made from 8” squares of “takeout tops” taped together with scotch tape. I assure you it was not an inferior result. One of my favorite planes of all time. CD rom motor was too much power so I flew it less than half throttle. I agree that the Eflight foam is much better, but my experiment with takeout foam was a success.

Pete
I'm not saying it was an inferior result, and I'm not insulting your work. The problem remains that the material simply will not work for what I'm trying to do. I've tried food trays and they didn't work. At all.

For an idea of what I'm doing, see attached photos.
Feb 15, 2019, 12:48 PM
The plans say it is "Isover 3mm XPS".
Have you investigated domestic brand XPS foams?

Stupid Competition Question: Do you get "Extra Points" if the flight ends in your ear?
Feb 15, 2019, 03:08 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsinneck
The plans say it is "Isover 3mm XPS".
Have you investigated domestic brand XPS foams?
In terms of materials properties, the various Foamular and Hiload brands are roughly equivalent. That said, you're still looking at having to machine the foam down to the desired thickness. Mihkail is doing this with some sort of custom drum sander. Everything I've seen indicates that this is a messy, tedious process. He's in Russia...those guys will do anything to make a couple bucks because jobs are impossible to find. I don't see that as a viable business model here in the US. I've looked high and low for thin XPS and haven't found it (I've got umpteen brands of unknown stuff inbound from far flung places to see if any I've found it suitable). That's why I'm here...I figured asking others might eventually lead to a solution better than what I can cobble up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsinneck
Stupid Competition Question: Do you get "Extra Points" if the flight ends in your ear?
LOL!!!!! Well played sir. Very well played.
Feb 15, 2019, 05:29 PM
At the risk of tying up an EPP foam thread with more talk of foams other than EPP, Have you looked at MPF (Model Plane foam) - they don't have the 1mm thickness precut but maybe it'd be hotwireable to your specs?

Thread is here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...del+plane+foam
Feb 22, 2019, 08:14 PM
Ft Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
Wind Catcher RC sells Epp in thicknesses from 3mm - 2 inches. Not sure how big of a block your looking for....
Just ordered some EPP....thanks.

Quick Reply