This thread is privately moderated by leadfeather, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 16, 2018, 07:14 PM
Wind Catcher RC sells Epp in thicknesses from 3mm - 2 inches. Not sure how big of a block your looking for....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2018, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstreaks
Wind Catcher RC sells Epp in thicknesses from 3mm - 2 inches. Not sure how big of a block your looking for....
Thank you so much! This is perfect.
Dec 20, 2018, 10:36 PM

UC airfoil progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrash2
For the last 3 years I've been playing with XPS on my CNC before getting into EPP this year. Lowes insulation foam is XPS. Even though it is a lower quality and the standards are less than depron due to the primary use being foam insulation. It is Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) from what I read in multiple articles. The down side is due to the lower quality there can be air pockets and density changes in the foam. Usually a light sanding is required after a cut to make it more smooth.

My CNC can easily cut, both hot wire and mill, the Lowes green/blue insulation. If you had an under camber airfoil you had in mind, I could give it a try in a few weeks. Currently working through a bug in my plugin that generates g-code. Once I get that figured out, I can more accurately cut out wings for everyone. I can cut wings out now, but they will be .05" out of spec due to kerf. If that's not a problem, I might be able to cut stuff out in a timely manner.
gonna have to check my notifications on RCG.. grrr...

about 3 weeks ago I got my hotwire working.. and cut out a set of UC forms ....found I needed to do a lot to make a decent set...(mostly due to not anywhere near enough tension on my longest hotwire bow and having power supply issues.)

It worked though and should work perfect when I get time to do it better the XPS cuts great and makes for a fairly stiff wing even with no covering applied yet.(which is the wings main stiffening element.)

...Now the interesting part

I just said heck, I'll do it with DT board and roll the UC into the board but instead of using ribs to hold the airfoil curve, I'll paper cover it using the male and female I cut for the XPS ailfoils as forms to hold the shape until the paper covering's glue impregnation dries..

Found it worked perfectly and the UC wing (5MM DT board original paper removed) turns out a killer stiff UC wing . Its also one of the lightest and toughest I have built. ...Am finishing a unique design plane for my little cousin for Christmas that looks like a Dove and is V-tailed. It s turning out to be extremely light and quite tough, can be sprayed with most any paints. Should be one of the slowest, most stable fliers I could imagine. Will try to get some completion shots of it soon On this thread.
Dec 21, 2018, 01:53 AM

EPP Wings

You should try 1/2 x 3mm carbon spars, top and bottom, and 3mil laminating film. Works great! If it is a thick section airfoil, you may even eliminate the covering!
Jan 05, 2019, 10:31 PM
My local Home Depot does not carry 1/2 inch pink foam (xpd) that the flying wings i want to build call for. They do have 1/2 inch in xps - has anyone built with this stuff?
Jan 06, 2019, 01:39 AM
This is off topic, because what you show is an expanded polystyrene foam, not a polypropylene foam. Take a look at the Foamular 150 foam (pink/purple color), an extruded polystyrene foam. It's 2" thick, but you can slice it with a hot wire to half inch.

Unless you're going to use it as a core with some kind of structural skin, I don't think the expanded polystyrene Insulfoam is going to be strong enough.
Jan 06, 2019, 02:39 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Iron on some monocoat and you'll be fine
Jan 06, 2019, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightofPhx
My local Home Depot does not carry 1/2 inch pink foam (xpd) that the flying wings i want to build call for. They do have 1/2 inch in xps - has anyone built with this stuff?
your looking for this right? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...-36L/100320356

seems to be a boat load at my store (64 sheets), don't they offer free ship to store at yours?
Jan 06, 2019, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR
your looking for this right? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...-36L/100320356

seems to be a boat load at my store (64 sheets), don't they offer free ship to store at yours?
"Delivery unavailable for this product" the dept manager said this size is not in the AZ distribution centers
Jan 06, 2019, 11:22 PM
what about 1/4" Fanfold?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Co...10UM/203604262
Jan 09, 2019, 07:31 PM
rab
rab
Muddle on
Definitely not EPP.

The pink fan fold can be used but it is brittle, it is pretty much the opposite of EPP.
Jan 10, 2019, 10:59 PM
nobody said it was
Jan 11, 2019, 12:02 PM
flyin' fool
Isn't this thread about EPP??
Jan 11, 2019, 03:08 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Isn't this thread about EPP??
Until it got hijacked
Latest blog entry: Release of our 40" EPP Yak55 XL